Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Neo-Iconer and NeoOffice 1.2 alpha
Neo-Iconer and NeoOffice 1.2 alpha

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: Neo-Iconer and NeoOffice 1.2 alpha

Does anyone know in advance of releasing the NeoOffice 1.2 alpha whether neo-iconer will work with it?

Presumably at the least, some paths and filenames will need changing in neo-iconer to have it find the new NeoOffice app and its user files to adapt them (since both the app name is changing and the prefs folders are relocating)?

I'm asking because I've set up several people with NeoOffice/J and included neo-iconer to tart up their interface, so when I send them the upgrade, I'd like to be able to tart up the v1.2 as well for them. (For US readers, 'tart up' is probably the equivalent of 'pimp'?)

- yoxi
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:46 am    Post subject:

hmm. well i have not used the iconer.. but i have updated icons with the newest patch...
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject:

Oh, great - I didn't know that was happening.

- yoxi
blueghost75
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject:

I've installed the lastest patch, and the icons are the same as before. I'm installed 1.2 alpha as well, and same thing. Am I missing something obvious? (I'm on 10.4.3).
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject:

sorry, i used max's tool to update my icons, Neo 1.2A (and the patches) stil have the orignial set. sorry i was confusing.

i meant to point out that i had changed my icons and they still worked... err or something like that.
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Neo-Iconer and NeoOffice 1.2 alpha

yoxi wrote:
Does anyone know in advance of releasing the NeoOffice 1.2 alpha whether neo-iconer will work with it?

- yoxi

I am having no problems with NeoIconer. I have the latest NeoOffice patches and 10.4.3, with Imagemagick 5.5 [I made the mistake of upgrading ImageMagick to v 6 at one stage, and NeoIconer stopped working until I backtracked].

PS I think 'pimped' might be regarded as a little stronger than "tarted up" here in Oz. Here, I might jokingly say my wife had tarted herself up, but I wouldn't say she pimped herself - not without penalty, that is! Laughing But we know what you meant 'Smile'
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Neo-Iconer and NeoOffice 1.2 alpha

aussie149 wrote:
I am having no problems with NeoIconer. I have the latest NeoOffice patches and 10.4.3, with Imagemagick 5.5...

But if I understand correctly, NeoOffice 1.2 not only has a different .app path, but also a different prefs location from NeoOffice/J 1.1 - so is neoiconer savvy enough to find the files it's replacing in the new version? That's what I was wondering. I wrote to Brett the author about this - who's been on the road for a while - and got a nice reply saying he'll be back at work on neoiconer next week to improve it and figure out why not all the icons in the slotlist are getting replaced. Good on him.

- yoxi
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Neo-Iconer and NeoOffice 1.2 alpha

yoxi wrote:
But if I understand correctly, NeoOffice 1.2 not only has a different .app path, but also a different prefs location from NeoOffice/J 1.1 - so is neoiconer savvy enough to find the files it's replacing in the new version? ...

This is correct. Furthermore, these two path changes should be the only changes to any of the configuration files that NeoIconer is using. Lastly, the first time that you run Neo 1.2 Alpha, it will create it user preferences by copying the entire Neo/J preference directory if it exists.

Just for reference, here are the new paths:

User preferences: ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-1.x
Application path: /Applications/NeoOffice.app

Patrick
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Neo-Iconer and NeoOffice 1.2 alpha

pluby wrote:
yoxi wrote:
But if I understand correctly, NeoOffice 1.2 not only has a different .app path, but also a different prefs location from NeoOffice/J 1.1 - so is neoiconer savvy enough to find the files it's replacing in the new version? ...

This is correct. Furthermore, these two path changes should be the only changes to any of the configuration files that NeoIconer is using. Lastly, the first time that you run Neo 1.2 Alpha, it will create it user preferences by copying the entire Neo/J preference directory if it exists.

Just for reference, here are the new paths:

User preferences: ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-1.x
Application path: /Applications/NeoOffice.app

Patrick

OK. now I have seen this in action: you run NeoIconer with changes, and you still have the original set, because it seems that NeoIconer is changing the old config file in ~/Library/NeoOfficeJ../user/config/soffice.cfg, rather than this new one. There is a workaround for this, but it would be much better to have it happen without workarounds.

In the meantime, with my **very** limited knowledge of terminal commands, I did this

1. Made a copy of the NeoIconer file in the finder [cmd-D]. I called this NeoIcopy, for want of inspiration

2. Navigated in Terminal to the folder in which it was placed, like so:

Macintosh:~ peter$ cd /Users/peter/Desktop/Neo-Iconer0.8.3

3. Opened the copy file in pico [which I have used twice in my life I think], like so:

Macintosh:~/Desktop/Neo-Iconer0.8.3 peter$ sudo pico NeoIcopy

4. Changed the path in the line I found referring to it: looked like this

# Warranty
# --------
# Absolutely none! Use at your own risk!

################################################################################
# 2.0 User Customizations
#
# Users need to modify only this section
# (NOTE: keep the toolbar size in OOo to automatic)
################################################################################

source config.tcl

if { [file isfile autoConfig.tcl] } {
source autoConfig.tcl
puts "found quickInstall auto-config file"
}

# Stuff pulled from the config.tcl

set OOconfigDir "$env(HOME)/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-1.x/user/config/soffice.cfg/"

5. Did a ctrl-o ctrl-x to save [is ctrl-o a save command?] and exit

6. Ran this program, instead of NeoIconer in the terminal, as follows:
Macintosh:~/Desktop/Neo-Iconer0.8.3 peter$ ./NeoIcopy

7. It seemed [!] to work. I tried using it to change icon sets, and it seemed to do it OK.

Now, 'Confused' I put this up not as a solution, but hopefully to get others who know more about this stuff to tell me where I went wrong Embarassed' . It *appears* that it might be simple to edit NeoIconer to work with this new path, but is it?

Peter
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: NeoIconer?

Anyone had a chance to try this? I've put my slightly-amended version up, as NeoIconerX, at

http://www.geocities.com/aussie_149/OO_o.html

I would like to know whether it works for others. I give no guarantees other than I've run it several times on my eMac and it appears to work Smile

I have a new set of more consistent icons at that site that I am waiting to pass on, when we know whether NeoIconer is going to continue working with NeoOffice 1.2.

Berchca: Brett, are you in touch with trinity to either test this, or give us a solution?

Thanks to anyone who can help

Peter
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: NeoIconer?

aussie149 wrote:
Anyone had a chance to try this? I've put my slightly-amended version up, as NeoIconerX ... I would like to know whether it works for others.

Yes, just tried it and it works fine for me on NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha in 10.4.3. thanks very much!

Brett told me he's just back from a long trip away and will be working on improving NeoIconer and getting in touch with the NeoOffice developers about icons'n'stuff.

- yoxi

PS I still hate the Crystal icon for Background Colour ±)
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: NeoIconer?

yoxi wrote:
aussie149 wrote:
Anyone had a chance to try this? I've put my slightly-amended version up, as NeoIconerX ... I would like to know whether it works for others.

Yes, just tried it and it works fine for me on NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha in 10.4.3. thanks very much!

Brett told me he's just back from a long trip away and will be working on improving NeoIconer and getting in touch with the NeoOffice developers about icons'n'stuff.

- yoxi

Thanks yoxi Smile

I'm glad it worked for at least one other: maybe I was on the right track after all?

I know what you mean about that icon. There's also a few where the symbolism is a bit specious: I cheated a bit with some that "might" work as symbols of eg "export", 'exit". But I wanted to get away from using icons from here, there and everywhere.

I'm taking Nuno and Robert's set as a full package, warts and all Laughing Actually, they are generally speaking lovely icons I think, and I reckon they've done a great job in bringing an aesthetically pleasing set to OOo. I don't know what happened with a few icons which were in the OpenOffice.org 2 package but didn't make it to this package [eg all the "graphics-align" icons are missing now]. I've asked Nuno Pinheiro about this, but no response yet.

I'm also glad Brett is back: I for one am in way, way over my head with any CLI stuff.

Cheers
Peter
Baggypants
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: a little encouragement

but Me Too, on NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha on 10.3.9
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: NeoIconer?

[quote="aussie149"]
yoxi wrote:
aussie149 wrote:
Anyone had a chance to try this? I've put my slightly-amended version up, as NeoIconerX ..

- yoxi

Thanks yoxi Smile

I'm glad it worked for at least one other: maybe I was on the right track after all?

I know what you mean about that icon. There's also a few where the symbolism is a bit specious: I cheated a bit with some that "might" work as symbols of eg "export", 'exit". But I wanted to get away from using icons from here, there and everywhere.

I'm taking Nuno and Robert's set as a full package, warts and all Laughing Actually, they are generally speaking lovely icons I think, and I reckon they've done a great job in bringing an aesthetically pleasing set to OOo. I don't know what happened with a few icons which were in the OpenOffice.org 2 package but didn't make it to this package [eg all the "graphics-align" icons are missing now]. I've asked Nuno Pinheiro about this, but no response yet.

I'm also glad Brett is back: I for one am in way, way over my head with any CLI stuff.

Cheers
Peter

For those puzzled by my comments here, I got a bit ahead of myself:

see this discussion

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=995&start=135
Spook E

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Nudda

G’day, I’ve just downloaded NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha and NeoIconer + Image Magik (the 5.7 release) as well as some of the crystal+ icon set.

When I go through the process of modifying install document and running it from Terminal, it goes through the motions and says the new icons were successfully installed. However when NeoOffice is launched, only the default icons are visible.

Thanks for any suggestions
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3