NeoOffice :: View topic - Neo-Iconer and NeoOffice 1.2 alpha
Neo-Iconer and NeoOffice 1.2 alpha

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Nudda

Spook E wrote:
G’day, I’ve just downloaded NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha and NeoIconer + Image Magik (the 5.7 release) as well as some of the crystal+ icon set.

When I go through the process of modifying install document and running it from Terminal, it goes through the motions and says the new icons were successfully installed. However when NeoOffice is launched, only the default icons are visible.

Thanks for any suggestions

Can you run it again, and copy the terminal text here?
Spook E

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: output

Miyoko-2:~/desktop/neo.1 David$ ls
Aqua NeoIconer Nuvola genBitmaps slotlist.csv
Extras Noia c ikons
Gorilla NoiaWarm config.tcl readme.html
Miyoko-2:~/desktop/neo.1 David$ ./NeoIconer
ThemeDir: c/22x22/
icon-size = (22,22)
The color #0000FF is new, creating the understudy icon set.
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%Done!
num icons: 525
NeoOffice config directory:
/Users/David/Library/NeoOfficeJ-1.1/user/config/soffice.cfg/
config directory not found, creating
mkdir: /Users/David/Library/NeoOfficeJ-1.1/user/config: No such file or directory
while executing
"exec mkdir $OOconfigDir"
invoked from within
"if { $genConfig == "true" } {
if { $confRes == 0 } {
puts "config directory not found, generating"
genConfigFiles
}
set res..."
(file "./NeoIconer" line 687)
Miyoko-2:~/desktop/neo.1 David$

moderator note: broke up the single line of % signs to make it wrap and not break the page Wink
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject:

From the looks of things here, you're using the "old" NeoIconer with 1.2 Alpha; you need to get the "updated" version of NeoIconer that handles the new paths introduced in Neo 1.2 Alpha....

More info about the "updated" version in this thread.

Although I defer to Peter on this, of course Wink

Smokey

The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: NeoIconer

I presume from your "ls" readout that you saved config.tcl with this "c" file in TextEdit? Is "c" a folder of icons you have put together? If so, are they all 22x22 .png files?

Try going back to this page

http://au.geocities.com/aussie_149/page0/page0.html

Note the warning. Read the stuff in the discussion above here (previous page). If you want to go ahead, download NeoIconerX, put it in your NeoIconer folder. This time, navigate to the folder again

run ./NeoIconerX

instead of ./NeoIconer

This should place the icons in the right config file. If you are successful, when you run it, the terminal will tell you it has installed (say) 300 out of 525 icons [your run above didn't].
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: NeoIconerX

Thanks Smokey

We were obvioulsy responding at the same time. I wouldn't worry about "deferring" to me: I lay absolutely no claims to exclusive knowledge about any of this. I am merely a tinkerer amongst gurus, trying to help out without getting in the way of the "main task" Very Happy
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: NeoIconerX

aussie149 wrote:
I am merely a tinkerer amongst gurus, trying to help out without getting in the way of the "main task" Very Happy

You seem to be the current guru for this particular task Smile

Smokey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: kj

it worked fine, thanks guys!

FYI the c is the crystal icons folder renamed so i didn't have to type out all the other guff.
berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Missing Persons

So I am now truly back, after a rather long sabbatical (even two weeks of more longness than originally planned.) Sorry to leave everyone in the lurch, though I have to say, I was never previously under the impression this tool was so used. I promise to be better about this in the future.

I'm not really sure what all of the differences are between my last version and NeoIconerX, but I do have a new version of NeoIconer that addresses the version change by moving control of it into the config file; thus it is relatively easy to use for both 1.1 and 1.2a (and it will be fairly easy to update for future versions.) I don't know if this change comes too late for it to even be useful.

I'm poking around now with the image sizing issue reported by Arvid way back in October, but what other issues have I missed that I should be addressing before updating the file?
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: NeoIconerX

aussie149 wrote:
Thanks Smokey

We were obvioulsy responding at the same time. I wouldn't worry about "deferring" to me: I lay absolutely no claims to exclusive knowledge about any of this. I am merely a tinkerer amongst gurus, trying to help out without getting in the way of the "main task" Very Happy

This task is yours. No I don't want it back....Very Happy

Actually, you sound like the real guru on this subject and I bask in your brilliance.

James
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing Persons

berchca wrote:
So I am now truly back, after a rather long sabbatical (even two weeks of more longness than originally planned.) Sorry to leave everyone in the lurch, though I have to say, I was never previously under the impression this tool was so used. I promise to be better about this in the future.

I'm not really sure what all of the differences are between my last version and NeoIconerX, but I do have a new version of NeoIconer that addresses the version change by moving control of it into the config file; thus it is relatively easy to use for both 1.1 and 1.2a (and it will be fairly easy to update for future versions.) I don't know if this change comes too late for it to even be useful.

I'm poking around now with the image sizing issue reported by Arvid way back in October, but what other issues have I missed that I should be addressing before updating the file?

Phew, welcome back, Brett. Good to see you. All that is different between NeoIconer and NeoIconerX should be the line about the PATH, which changed between NeoOffice 1.1 and 1.2 from ~/Library/NeoOfficeJ1.1/user/config to ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice1.x/user/config.

I simply edited that path line, and called the result NeoIconerX, because I was hoping from what I had heard that you'd be back to give us a "real" new version.

The slotlist is still an issue: we are "missing" a few slots to place icons [eg "advanced-pdf" AFAICR]. Where is the information about this?

Some people have reported a problem with blacked-out icons. I can't get it to happen on my version, so I will leave that one to others to explain.

What of course would be *really* good Smile would be a program that didn't require the user to touch Terminal. I suspect any mention of Terminal and navigating to folders/files cuts down the potential user base substantially straight away.

Cheers
Peter
berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing Persons

aussie149 wrote:

I simply edited that path line, and called the result NeoIconerX, because I was hoping from what I had heard that you'd be back to give us a "real" new version.

To solve that problem, I'm not doing much more than that, so you're being a little to modest. But I'll package something up this weekend with that change, and defaulting to the new background color I read about in one of these posts.

aussie149 wrote:

The slotlist is still an issue: we are "missing" a few slots to place icons [eg "advanced-pdf" AFAICR]. Where is the information about this?

The slotlist continues to pester us, in spite of all the good work Oscar did on it. I think my first task is to get over to the OOo people and figure out more how all of the toolbar stuff works on the backend and what is going on with the stuff we can never get to work, like the 'new document' icon. Also, I'd like to know how they intend all this to work in the future.

aussie149 wrote:

Some people have reported a problem with blacked-out icons. I can't get it to happen on my version, so I will leave that one to others to explain.

I suspect this is based on Imagemagick. I did recieve permission from them people to hardcode in the bits we needed in the version this program used, which would probably solve that for just about everyone. I bit trickier than is should be, because of the limitations of TCL's library functions (or my limitations in understanding it.)

But I do suspect until this gets done, this problem will continue to plague people. In fact, judging by the forum posts, it appears to be a rite of hazing for every person who tries to use the program.

Does everyone who has an opinion think this is the right way to go? You're the customer...

aussie149 wrote:

What of course would be *really* good Smile would be a program that didn't require the user to touch Terminal. I suspect any mention of Terminal and navigating to folders/files cuts down the potential user base substantially straight away.

I couldn't agree more. Sadly, most of my programming experience has been in server-side Java, which leave me fairly limited in my experience with GUI development itself. But this is one of the things on my self-improvement list, so I should give it a spin.

Perhaps a simplier first step is to build a simple program for packaging and installing custom images/themes that people could send to less technically-saavy folks as a way of sharing their designs. This was actually a request from Jonathan, but I wasn't sure if this was something more people would like to have (as it would probably take a bit of work to put it together...)

Is that something people would use?
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing Persons

berchca wrote:
Perhaps a simplier first step is to build a simple program for packaging and installing custom images/themes that people could send to less technically-saavy folks as a way of sharing their designs. This was actually a request from Jonathan, but I wasn't sure if this was something more people would like to have (as it would probably take a bit of work to put it together...)

Perhaps Platypus could be of some use?

Best wishes,
Oscar

aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Future Directions: GUI/Icons

berchca wrote:
aussie149 wrote:

aussie149 wrote:

The slotlist continues to pester us, in spite of all the good work Oscar did on it. I think my first task is to get over to the OOo people and figure out more how all of the toolbar stuff works on the backend and what is going on with the stuff we can never get to work, like the 'new document' icon. Also, I'd like to know how they intend all this to work in the future.

aussie149 wrote:

Thanks for all that Brett, it's good to see you taking on this stuff with gusto. Very Happy

Some thoughts/predictions/guesses: In working with the icons from OpenOffice.org 2.0, I had to rename almost all of them. At some point between where NeoOffice is, and where NeoOffice will be when it catches up to OO.o 2, those names will change "back" again [eg I renamed "autocontrolfocus" to "form-automatic-control-focus" to match the name in the slotlist, etc etc]: does that name-change happen at the OO.o 2 stage or before? Anyone know? I no longer have a pre-OO.o 2 version of OpenOffice.org, to delve into this.

Presumably, the way that OO.o 2 searches for icon sets must be different, if the contents of the "Resource" file are an indicator [eg the icon sets are held as .zip files in there]. So what we are doing now may be for either the medium term or the long term. When we get to OO.o 2 stage, we will probably have a few icon sets to choose [the old GTK stock icons, the "new" OO.o 2 icons (which look a little MS Office-ish), and the "Crystal" icons, which I am predicting will probably then be the ones based on Nuno Pinheiro and Robert Wadley's set (what is called OO_o on the geocities website I set up)] The role of NeoIconer or its latest development might then be to allow people to experiment with even more sets, OS X sets, Oxygen?/KDE 4? etc. This would fit with the direction you are proposing anyway:

berchca wrote:

Perhaps a simpler first step is to build a simple program for packaging and installing custom images/themes that people could send to less technically-saavy folks as a way of sharing their designs. This was actually a request from Jonathan, but I wasn't sure if this was something more people would like to have (as it would probably take a bit of work to put it together...)

Yes, sounds great to me, too. Anyone else want to see this?
berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing Persons

ovvldc wrote:
Perhaps Platypus could be of some use?

Looks like it would just put a friendly face on a script, which I know would help some. But nothing like having actual options, graphically. Really, I can't imagine it's so hard, so much as I need to learn a couple things first. But it's a good tool to have in the toolkit.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing Persons

berchca wrote:
Looks like it would just put a friendly face on a script, which I know would help some. But nothing like having actual options, graphically. Really, I can't imagine it's so hard, so much as I need to learn a couple things first. But it's a good tool to have in the toolkit.

I was thinking along the lines of making a droplet on which you throw an icon folder. It then reads the size from the subdirectory name and off it goes..

Just a thought..

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3