Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Neo-Iconer and NeoOffice 1.2 alpha
Neo-Iconer and NeoOffice 1.2 alpha

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: NeoIconer Version 0.8.3 is up.

So I just posted NeoIconer 0.8.3. at:
http://brettisangry.com/NeoOffice/

I apologize to be riddling people with these small-dot updates, there really isn't a need to upgrade to this one if everything already works for you. That being said, I would appreciate it if a couple of the more regular users could take it for a spin; there are some chunky changes under the hood and I want to be sure it isn't broken.

The principal change is the inclusion of ImageMagick with NeoIconer (hence, it is a lot bigger, checking in at 5.4 megs just for the download). This is a stripped-down version of IM, only there to make NeoIconer easier to get up and running, and it won't work with other programs. It is also (finally) a more current version of ImageMagick, 6.2.5.

The other big change is that now the program automatically determines (or attempts to determine) the size of your icons. This means that you no longer have to include the image size as part of the folder name. The program measures the first icon that is finds, using the order they appear in the slotlist.

So there it is, let me know if you have any problems with it. And happy holidays,
Brett the James

From the release notes:
-now has it's own, stripped-down version of ImageMagick included (ver 6.2.5), so now has no dependencies and hopefully no more blacken icons issues.
-autosizing: icon size no longer determined by directory name, instead, determines it from the first icon it finds (search order by slotlist.)
-both of the above changes allow me to eliminate installation steps, which reduces startup time.
-cleaned out some unnecessary subroutines.
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: NeoIconer 0.8.3

Hi Brett

Good news about Imagemagick version 6 Smile I've downloaded 0.8.3. It looks OK in terms of what's in the folder, but when I run NeoIconer in Terminal, I'm getting this:

Vigor10:~/Desktop/Neo-Iconer0.8.3 peter$ ./NeoIconer
ThemeDir: Aqua/22x22/
icon-size = (22,22)
num icons: 525
NeoOffice config directory:
/Users/peter/Library/NeoOfficeJ-1.1/user/config/soffice.cfg/
.**.*....*.*..**.*..*..*..........*..........***......*....*.............**..***..............
etc [I cut off this line because it was not "returning' in my page view]
Added 33 of 525 icons.
Vigor10:~/Desktop/Neo-Iconer0.8.3 peter$

So it seems to be running with Aqua. Checked the config.tcl file and it looks OK, although the bottom bit [4] looks a bit suss [opened in TextEdit]:

#!/usr/bin/tclsh
# BtJ conversion
###################################etc
# Use Readme.html to guide you.
#
#
#################################etc

#####
# 1. choose your theme
# (don't forget the trailing '/')

# set ThemeDir "Aqua/"
# set ThemeDir "Gorilla/"
# set ThemeDir "ikons16/"
# set ThemeDir "ikons22/"
set ThemeDir "KDE/"
# set ThemeDir "Noia/"
# set ThemeDir "NoiaWarm/"
# set ThemeDir "Nuvola/"

#####
# 2: Set understudy color option
# Leave blank for default color
set uColorOption ""; # this line for default color
# set uColorOption "#FF0000"; # This line for red border
# set uColorOption "#0000FF"; # This line for blue border

#####
# 3. background color

# set bg "#f1f1f1"
# set bg "#C0C0C0" ; # Makes KDE icons look good (Panther)
# set bg "#DEDEDE" ; # Native light grey for Panther
set bg "#ECECEC" ; # Native light grey for newest Java (Tiger)

#####
# 4. NeoOffice version

# set ver "NeoOfficeJ-1.1" ; # Neoffice 1.1
set ver "Preferences/NeoOffice-1.x" ; # Neoffice 1.2 Alpha (and beyond?)

Then when I run NeoOffice, it still has the icons that I had last run with i.e. it has not changed the Library file.

Can you see any obvious problem? I'll scratch around and see whether I can find the bitmap file that actually got changed to Aqua.

BTW if you ever want to add any of the icon sets from this site, feel free:

http://au.geocities.com/aussie_149/page0/page0.html

Cheers - Merry Xmas
Peter
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: NeoIconer 0.8.3 Part 2

Ok Brett

I've found two possible suspects so far for the rogue Aqua install

Users/peter/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-1.x/user/config/Aqua/soffice.config

Users/peter/Library/NeoOfficej-1.1/user/config/Aqua/soffice.config

They seem to produce identical genBitmaps. But when I look back at that Terminal printout, I can see it's the latter where it's happening. NeoIconer is putting the Aqua icons in the NOJ directory. But why is it creating its own directory, and why Aqua and not KDE?

happy days Smile

Peter
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Part 3

OK Smile relax. News is now good.

I started again, unzipped and moved the file to the desktop. Now it works with the icons in your base set, although those in my sets wouldn't run at first. I suspect I will need to clean them up a bit to get them going, remove extraneous bits and pieces from the folder, maybe only have one size in there. I've done that with one folder so far, it worked fine. Not sure what happened before, hopefully it was just some problem with unzipping. Embarassed

P
berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Part 3

aussie149 wrote:

I started again, unzipped and moved the file to the desktop. Now it works with the icons in your base set, although those in my sets wouldn't run at first. I suspect I will need to clean them up a bit to get them going, remove extraneous bits and pieces from the folder, maybe only have one size in there. I've done that with one folder so far, it worked fine. Not sure what happened before, hopefully it was just some problem with unzipping. Embarassed

P

Looking at your first post, it didn't seem to be running the new version of NeoIconer. That is, it wasn't returning the messages the new program does.

You shouldn't have to rename the folders or move them around or anything, I just renamed the ones in the NeoIconer package (flattened them, really) to set a new example for future icon sets, which need not be so complexly labeled.

Speaking of icon sets, I was actually of a mind to include less icon sets than more, just because I'd like it to be more streamlined out of the package. People can always add more later. With that in mind, I wouldn't mind having three or four fairly complete and varied icon sets to put in the program. Which also means I prefer that someone else, should they have the interest, maintain the more complete selection of icons. And, for that matter, to recommend me some good sets.

Of course, if most users would prefer, I would just pile everything in to start with.

My last question is sizing: I was planning on putting a manual override to the size, but decided no one would use it. Is it a common habit of those of you out there to have more than one size icon in a set? Would you like to have a configuration file option to set the size? ImageMagick has a scaling function, but it is terrible as far as I've been able to tell, but I could have it scale icons to more than one size.

The only down side to adding more options is the program becomes more complex and harder to use (and program.) I'm trying to move in the opposite direction, trying to assist less technically-minded people who might just happen to be good at UI/graphic design...
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Part 3

berchca wrote:
My last question is sizing: I was planning on putting a manual override to the size, but decided no one would use it. Is it a common habit of those of you out there to have more than one size icon in a set? Would you like to have a configuration file option to set the size? ImageMagick has a scaling function, but it is terrible as far as I've been able to tell, but I could have it scale icons to more than one size.

Scaling an image from 21 or 22 to 24 is pixels is bound to give your grief because the resolution transition will be so crude as to make it really ugly... What you might do is use some kind of property check to see what size each icon really is and then pad the ones that are smaller than 24x24 so that they are centred.

But this is just an idea Smile. Bigger ones would have to be scaled down anyway (duh)..

Best wishes and a merry season,
Oscar

aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Part 3

berchca wrote:
aussie149 wrote:

P

Looking at your first post, it didn't seem to be running the new version of NeoIconer. That is, it wasn't returning the messages the new program does.

You shouldn't have to rename the folders or move them around or anything, I just renamed the ones in the NeoIconer package (flattened them, really) to set a new example for future icon sets, which need not be so complexly labeled...

I think this was probably what I heard described the other day as a PEBKAC issue Embarassed All is fine now. Thanks Brett for the update. It's great to have it working more simply, and with the new Imagemagick. In refernce to folders, I have found that I had lots of extra stuff in folders with the icons themselves. What I needed to do was to go the 22x22 folder, duplicate it, rename the duplicate "KDE2" or "OOo" or whatever, then put that folder at the same level as NeoIconer.

Brett/Oscar: Should we be making icons 24x24 now, rather than 22x22? It strikes me that 24x24 is the size of the OpenOffice.org 2.0 icons.

Merry Xmas to all
Peter
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject:

I d/led and ran NeoIconer v 0.8.3 but it's coming up with the following error:
Code:
Smaragd:~ yoxi$ cd /Users/yoxi/Applications/Neo-Iconer/
Smaragd:~/Applications/Neo-Iconer yoxi$ ./neoiconer
ThemeDir: Yoxi/
dyld: Library not loaded: /sw/lib/libjpeg.62.dylib
  Referenced from: /Users/yoxi/Applications/Neo-Iconer/./ImageMagick-6.2.5/bin/identify
  Reason: image not found
    while executing
"exec identify $ThemeDir$sizeableIcon"
    (procedure "determineIconSize" line 4)
    invoked from within
"determineIconSize"
    invoked from within
"set iconSize [determineIconSize]"
    (file "./neoiconer" line 610)

Any ideas? Yoxi is the name of the folder with my favoured icon set melange... does the same if I'm using the KDE icon set.

- yoxi
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
I d/led and ran NeoIconer v 0.8.3 but it's coming up with the following error:
Code:
Smaragd:~ yoxi$ cd /Users/yoxi/Applications/Neo-Iconer/
Smaragd:~/Applications/Neo-Iconer yoxi$ ./neoiconer
ThemeDir: Yoxi/
  Referenced from: /Users/yoxi/Applications/Neo-Iconer/./ImageMagick-6.2.5/bin/identify
    while executing

Looks like there's a leftover hardcoded reference/pathname to something in brett's fink installation Sad (/sw/lib/libjpeg.62.dylib)

Smokey

Councilperson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Hrm.....

yoxi wrote:

Any ideas? Yoxi is the name of the folder with my favoured icon set melange... does the same if I'm using the KDE icon set.
- yoxi

Ah-ha! I knew I was being too optimisitic about this new version. Might take me a couple of stabs to figure out exactly what is going wrong, hope you don't mind...

So, from what I can tell of your setup, you are running NeoIconer out of a folder Neo-Iconer in your applications directory. Did you copy the entire contents of the NeoIconer.8.3 folder into the Neo-Iconer folder, or did you copy the folder itself and then rename it? And where do you keep the icons folders? With the program or in your home directory?

It also appears you are running a version of ImageMagick that was installed by Fink. Do you know what version that is?
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Hrm.....

berchca wrote:
So, from what I can tell of your setup, you are running NeoIconer out of a folder Neo-Iconer in your applications directory. Did you copy the entire contents of the NeoIconer.8.3 folder into the Neo-Iconer folder, or did you copy the folder itself and then rename it? And where do you keep the icons folders? With the program or in your home directory?

I moved the unzipped 0.8.3 folder to ~/Applications and then renamed it to Neo-Iconer - is it expecting the original folder name? I put my icons folders within that folder, alongside the others you've provided, and similarly without a /22x22.
Quote:
It also appears you are running a version of ImageMagick that was installed by Fink. Do you know what version that is?

That threw me - the full ImageMagick package is the one that I installed when running NeoIconer 0.8.1, downloaded from your site (v5.5.7, I think). I assumed that the new NeoIconer would know to default to the ImageMagick within its own folder, if you're going to the trouble of including it? Smile

- yoxi
berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Hrm.....

yoxi wrote:

I moved the unzipped 0.8.3 folder to ~/Applications and then renamed it to Neo-Iconer - is it expecting the original folder name? I put my icons folders within that folder, alongside the others you've provided, and similarly without a /22x22.

so far, so good.
yoxi wrote:

That threw me - the full ImageMagick package is the one that I installed when running NeoIconer 0.8.1, downloaded from your site (v5.5.7, I think). I assumed that the new NeoIconer would know to default to the ImageMagick within its own folder, if you're going to the trouble of including it? Smile

Hrm, it seems to be searching for a version of ImageMagick in the /sw directory, which is usually Fink/FinkCommander's directory. I didn't hardwire the version of ImageMagick into the code, because I wanted to give some flexibility, I merely made it prefer the one that is included. For some reason, this is being over ridden. I'll install a couple of different versions of IM, see what I can discover, and hopefully end up with a more bullet-proof version of NeoIconer.

Might have to wait until after the new year, though. Hope that doesn't mess anything up. I do appreciate everyone's help and patience on this...
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3