Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - OOo2.0 on MacOSX 10.3.9—Trouble Adding Printers
OOo2.0 on MacOSX 10.3.9—Trouble Adding Printers

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billsey
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: OOo2.0 on MacOSX 10.3.9—Trouble Adding Printers

I just purchased a new hard drive last night and I've been getting everything set up on it. I installed the X11 package before attempting to run OpenOffice.org 2.0.0rc3. It opens fine, and it seems to run fine, and all of the fonts seem to be available, but I can't get it to add a printer. I can go through the entire spadmin sequence and while I'm in that sequence everything appears to be fine, but when I leave spadmin—whether I click the close button or just close the window directly—I'm stuck with no option except "GENERIC PRINTER". I'm trying to add one postscript printer (HP LaserJet 4MP) and one non-postscript printer (Epson Stylus Photo R300). It even shows me the proper commandlines for each printer and names them as I want them named, and I can even print a testpage to the LaserJet from spadmin (I haven't tried with the R300 yet), but once I leave spadmin they're gone, as though nothing got saved during my spadmin session. I have noticed that there is no button to command spadmin to save the settings I have just created, and there is no error message regarding either permissions or write errors.
net-buoy
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: some functionality present via spadmin

I have the same problem. But I have been successful adding printers as ladmin and having it show up thereafter, but only for ladmin.

Also the FAQ indicates that there should be a configure printer menu option from File and that does not appear to exist, so it looks like you have to actually run ./spadmin ....
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: some functionality present via spadmin

net-buoy wrote:
I have the same problem. But I have been successful adding printers as ladmin and having it show up thereafter, but only for ladmin.

Also the FAQ indicates that there should be a configure printer menu option from File and that does not appear to exist, so it looks like you have to actually run ./spadmin ....

There is a problem with adding printers to OpenOffice. First, it does not and should NOT use spadmin. You add printers to your Mac and OpenOffice.org is supposed to find and add them automagically. It appears that addition of networked and other printers is broken on the first run of OpenOffice.

SOLUTION:

1. Start up OpenOffice from the icon.
2. X11 should start up
3. You should be greeted by the familar OpenOffice 2.0 splash screen.
4. Soon, you should see an empty OpenOffice.org Writer window.
5. Exit from OpenOffice BUT NOT X11.
6. Restart OpenOffice.org from the icon.
7. When the OpenOffice.org Writer window opens, either select Print from the File menu OR press Cntrl+P.
8. All of your printers should be present, including Bonjour printers.

James
imacminx
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Things are looking up, my iMac is behaving really well, compared to the Windows beast I used to have! Managed to get OpenOffice up and running, and its doing fine, just one problem, it seems to think, and tells me every time, that there's no default printer.

My iMac is an Intel, with Tiger, and my printer is an Epson C64 with USB. Tiger found it and it works perfectly with everything else, but OpenOffice says no thanks, lol!

Am sure there's a simple explanation and solution, so here I am looking for some help....again!!

Cheers all

Very Happy

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1