printing FAQ issues

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
net-buoy
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: printing FAQ issues

From the FAQ:

· How do I launch the spadmin utility?

Open Start OpenOffice.org. Choose "File > Configure printers..." to start the spadmin utility.

I am not sure what version of OOo this pertains to, but there is no Configure printers menu item on the version I have been using (which reminds me, wouldn't it be helpful to have information about the version and build under "Help->About"

Additionally, the Faq should probably address the recently posted issue about users able to create a printer through spadmin, but the printer not "sticking"
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: printing FAQ issues

net-buoy wrote:
From the FAQ:

· How do I launch the spadmin utility?

Simple, you don't. OpenOffice.org for Mac OS X uses the printers you have set up in the Printers System Utility item.

net-bouy wrote:

Open Start OpenOffice.org. Choose "File > Configure printers..." to start the spadmin utility.

I am not sure what version of OOo this pertains to, but there is no Configure printers menu item on the version I have been using (which reminds me, wouldn't it be helpful to have information about the version and build under "Help->About"

Additionally, the Faq should probably address the recently posted issue about users able to create a printer through spadmin, but the printer not "sticking"

Ok. LET ME STATE THIS AGAIN. SPADMIN IS NOT TO BE USED WITH MAC OS X OPENOFFICE.ORG NO MATTER WHAT YOU THINK OR HEAR. Spadmin is a UNIX/Linux ONLY utility. There is code built into the Mac OS X version of OpenOffice.org, which was supposedly donated by Patrick Luby from NeoOffice, that automagically detects printers installed on your system. This is BROKEN on most Mac systems that are using Networked (Bonjour) printers when OpenOffice.org 2.0 is first run. Please follow the instructions included elsewhere in this forum.

Also, there is a report that the printer detection problem is fixed in a 3/11 release. This HAS NOT been confirmed, yet. When this problem is fixed, I will post a message here (I am also coordinating the QA process for the Mac OS X PPC build of OpenOffice.org 2.0.2 rc 4 (there may be a rc 5).)

Thank you.

James
LJHeal
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: If no printing solutions offered - there's a problem!

net-buoy(Blue Pill) wrote:

>>[...] there is no Configure printers menu item[...]

jjmckenzie51(The Trainman) garrulously replied:

>Ok. LET ME STATE THIS AGAIN. SPADMIN IS NOT TO BE USED WITH
>MAC OS X OPENOFFICE.ORG NO MATTER WHAT YOU THINK OR HEAR.

Does the trick for me.

Open xterm, navigate (a knowledge of cd is assumed) through "OpenOffice.org 2.0"/Contents/openoffice.org2.0/program and pop ./spadmin into the command line - if things aren't happening any other way, that is. AND I have had to do this very thing regularly.

Lots easier just to answer the question than get as Strange as Mr. Fantastic's brother and <<FLAME ON!>>

I see a QA reference - my printers are accessed through TCP or Samba.

I also see a request to diagnose my workaround...and will answer there.
net_buoy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: say what??

Hang on.... maybe I missed the reason for ignition....
let me recap some items

1) If someone wants to argue what the correct process is for setting up printers then perhaps instead of flaming someone might want to fix the printing faq.

2) In fact, as pointed out, spadmin DOES work, though there are problems (discussed extensively elsewhere) with users other than ladmin creating OOo printers. The discussion of this "bug" culminated in an acknowledgement that it appears to have something to do with user directories and perms... but the point is I don;t have a clue why someone is ranting at me about this point.... If this again is a matter that has been resolved team wide, then it should be addressed in a FAQ, not by inconsistent postings throughout the forums

3) As I noted, the printing faq seems to address some product I am not aware of.. it bearlle siilarity to the 2.0.x version I have been using.... BUT I did not scream at anyone, but requested politely that the author either relabel the FAQ (so that it states what versions/platforms it applies to) or redo entries in the FAQ. All users are very appreciative of all the work that has been done..... and no one is looking to tick anyone off.

4) In fact, we have rendezvous/bonjour turned OFF and use only cups. We see nothing but a generic printer so any failure of OOo to see the printers becase of bonjour appears to be a red herring.... The OS sees the printers we make available through a cups BrowsePoll Command and s noted above, ladmin can use spadmin to create additional printers. spadmin finds the additional system printer...

5) Ifyou really want users to follow directions appearing elsewhere, it might be easier to provide the URL than to flame on....
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1