Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Macupdate's listing still says NeoOffice/J
Macupdate's listing still says NeoOffice/J

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: Macupdate's listing still says NeoOffice/J

The current new MacUpdate listing says:
NeoOffice/J 1.2a - OpenOffice w/o X11 dependencies

The /J needs dropping - someone on that? (Same with all mentions of the app on the MacUpdate page itself.)

- yoxi
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Macupdate's listing still says NeoOffice/J

yoxi wrote:
The current new MacUpdate listing says:
NeoOffice/J 1.2a - OpenOffice w/o X11 dependencies

Actually, Smokey alreayd noted that, so I suppose he is on it. Apparently, they gave similar grief in the past.

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject:

Well, I noted it right before I got offline and went to bed, so I'm not "on it" per se. It'll take an email from me or Patrick to get it straightened out, I'm sure...(I hate dealing with MU...for all VT's shortcomings, they're very responsive to developers/update-pushers).

Note that all the other places I changed /J not, it was fine--just not the product name Sad

I suppose anyone can feel free to bug them, though...I won't get to it until this weekend.

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject:

Well, there are always going to be some legacy things that have /J in them that won't be able to be changed for a while. I still need to tag some other things here (Other Websites block on the left, the category in the news articles). We'll just catch as catch can Smile

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
I still need to tag some other things here (Other Websites block on the left, the category in the news articles). We'll just catch as catch can Smile

And NeoOffice.org Wink

When I'm back I'll start a run-down of things. All the places that have listings we don't update ourselves (see the wiki) will probably need to be notified, and so forth.

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject:

http://www.macintouch.com/ Friday, November 25, 2005 10:00 EST has an announcment about NeoOffice (with /J).
I sent them an email that the /J has been dropped. News everywhere!

Philip (All I want for Christmas is ... NeoOffice 2.0?!? grin )
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:
(All I want for Christmas is ... NeoOffice 2.0?!? grin )

Christmas 2006? Very Happy

In all seriousness, it's gonna take a while, so be patient. It'd be different if there was enough funding to have a full time staff...but there's not enough.

Therein really lies the biggest "myth" about open source. While it's fun to portray it as a bunch of swashbuckling pirates taking to the great seas of permanant assurance, in reality the most visible (and, arguably, successful) open source projects really have large corporate sponsors (or, depending on the orientaion of your tin foil hat, "corporate fronts"). For example, in terms of founding members:

OpenOffice.org = StarOffice = Sun Microsystems
Linux = IBM + Red Hat + (many other contributors)
Mozilla = AOL

Dive deeper into most big OSS projects and you'll find a company in there with deep pockets.

It's arguable in my opinion since the most popular open source projects are those that may not be exactly "legal"...DeCSS has to be more widely deployed than Linux and nas no direct corporate sponsor that I know of.

Neo has no corporate sponsor. It has evolved from some generous donations from folks and a heapload of time from Patrick and everyone you see on these forums and the folks you don't see donating translated web pages, bandwidth, and what have you.

Long story short, as resources lack, we can't do anything by xmas time...hopefully by next year though, unless something unexpected happens like I find a girlfriend Very Happy

ed
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject:

Ed,

Sorry, I was making a bit of a joke. Embarassed (and Darn, now my (silly) wish won't come true, this year.)
I "think" I understand how really big this project is (I have 30+ years of software development and support). I don't have the depth of code experience that you, Patrick, Dan, and many others here have but I'm trying to assist in my humble way.
After reading most posts here and hours of reading posts on dev@OOo I agree with your stated reasons for continuing NeoOffice development. Seems to me that if the people with the MOST Direct experience in this code development say that some path is not easy, Others "should" listen.
I even followed Eric's suggest and read the Apple Human Interface Guidelines. Suggests prototypes and Listening to the end users. Just what has been done on the NeoOffice project.
I understand about the lack of resources (deal with it daily at work). I'm sad/unhappy/even-mad the the OOo Mac port "pre"-announcment has reduced your funding. I'm amazed with the efforts so far and am looking for ways to raise/donate more. Maybe that should be my wish?? Three-to-six months project funding.

Philip (wishing for a new Funding year?!? )
p.s. Girlfriends a great, hope you find one! My wife won't let me have them anymore.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:
http://www.macintouch.com/ Friday, November 25, 2005 10:00 EST has an announcment about NeoOffice (with /J).
I sent them an email that the /J has been dropped. News everywhere!

I saw that just before I went offline yesterday and sent them a note, too, but apparently to no effect Sad

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject:

MacIntouch.com sent me an email 11-26-05 that it had been corrected. Good new for all the News/PR articles about NeoOffice. Mac Users everywhere seem to REALLY like NeoOffice interface on the Mac. (yes, I skipped the whiners complaints). GO NEO!

Philip ( have . to . stop watching all those Matrix re-runs )
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha announment on insanely-great.com

http://insanely-great.com/news.php?id=5502 11-28-05 has an announcment on NeoOffice (with /J).
I added a post that the /J has been dropped and tried to explain why NeoOffice does not have full Mac Aqua interface. Is it just me or do (too many) people complain about a FREE version of OOo running the the Mac without (ugly) X11?!? Did I mention it was ... FREE? Mad

Philip (Looking for NeoOffice in all the Mac Places)
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject:

We Mac users really are GUI snobs Smile It all depends on your degree of pragmatism, I guess, and where you lie on the features vs. cost vs. ease-of-use vs. appearance spectrum(?), I suppose. But IMO Neo has really found the sweet spot, which is why I'm here Smile

Thanks, Philip, for taking on some of these /J laggards Smile If you've got a few cycles to spare for this sort of thing now-and-again, check out NeoOffice Advocacy in the wiki Wink

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject:

Smokey,

'tis true that Mac Users are GUI snobs. That's why we bought Macs! IMHO I agree that Neo has found the sweet spot. I want the Mac GUI and access to a good Office Suite with wide support. I work in Document Management group at work and can't express the daily pains Word causes my boss. Most users don't need every bell and whisle to do their work. Programers want to use the newest tool/trick. Done both.
In the long run the (text) data is the most important asset

sardisson wrote:
We Mac users really are GUI snobs Smile It all depends on your degree of pragmatism, I guess, and where you lie on the features vs. cost vs. ease-of-use vs. appearance spectrum(?), I suppose. But IMO Neo has really found the sweet spot, which is why I'm here Smile

Thanks for the offer. I've started reading the Advocacy section and Wiki. I looked at signing up for the Wiki and the link to request an account is TBD (To Be Done later...). And the Marketing Forum post seems to have been last updated May 2005?
Please consider adding me to the Marketing group and I will try to catch up. I believe that volunteers should apprentice and prove their value. Just like Ed suggests for Open Source coders. (Gee, Wonder Man, will this help me become Rich and Famous? Cool Find a Girlfriend?? Smile At least let me be a legend in my own mind Wink )

I have been trying to help with user testing, bug reporting/testing, Forum comments and marketing Neo to the Mac World. Based on what I saw on the Advocacy Wiki I have a lot more to catch upon. Working on it...

I monitor Mac sites like www.Macintouch.com, www.macnn.com, www.insanely-great.com, www.macrumors.com, www.macslash.org and www.macosxhints.com most days and can help check/correct Neo items

sardisson wrote:
Thanks, Philip, for taking on some of these /J laggards Smile If you've got a few cycles to spare for this sort of thing now-and-again, check out NeoOffice Advocacy in the wiki Wink

Smokey

Philip (Must-stop-typing-it's-late/early AND where the heck is GMT + 10 hours?!? )
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1