Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice 2.0 (or the beginnings of work on it.)
NeoOffice 2.0 (or the beginnings of work on it.)

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
So I've fixed two things in the NeoOffice 2.0 build and they will be included in today's 3:00 pm anoncvs sync:

1. I updated my NeoOffice custom sal code to fix the crashing at launch and failure to create the ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.x directory.

2. I added additional steps to the NeoOffice installer build to fix the File -> Wizard errors. I did this by ensuring that all of the missing empty directories that are included in the Windows, Linux, and Solaris installations are also added into the NeoOffice installation. I noticed that the OOo X11 Mac installer does not create these empty directories.

Since Ed made a change that will force the OOo portion of the build to rerun, you will need to do the following steps. Note that if your build has progressed past the OOo portion of the build, things are much more complicated so let me know if you need those instructions:

1. Verify that you build is still in the OOo portion of the build (i.e. there are no build/*/unxmacxp.pro.oo directories)
2. Kill your NeoOffice build
3. cd to the neojava directory, rm -Rf the sal module, and invoke cvs update -d
4. Reinvoked make in the neojava directory

I got that fix. And I had to revert all of the unxmacxp.pro.oo directories....

Luckily, I found this after sal failed to build with an error that a java/inc file could not be found....

I guess I'm just lucky that way.
Update The build using gcc-3.3 from XCode 2.2 finished and will start on Tiger. There are things that need to be 'fixed' but they are Patrick's for now.

I will start a build today with gcc-4.0.1 to test Ed's fixes that only affect this build system.

James
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: gcc4.0.1 + OOo 2

OPENSTEP wrote:
Another gcc4.0.1 foible, but I'm not sure if anyone else has encountered this on gcc3 or other builds...

Apparently something in XCode 2.2.1/gcc4.0.1 enjoys ruminating on automation/source/testtool/objtest.cxx. Thus far, it's been compiling this single 4k line test file for about 3 hours. Anyone else see this fun bovine impersonation during their build?

Are you trying to build NeoOffice or just OpenOffice.org 2.0 with gcc-4.0.1?

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: gcc4.0.1 + OOo 2

jjmckenzie51 wrote:

Ed is building NeoOffice HEAD and his patches to workaround the XCode 2.2.1 bugs are in the NeoOffice CVS repository and makefile.

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: gcc4.0.1 + OOo 2

pluby wrote:
jjmckenzie51 wrote:

Ed is building NeoOffice HEAD and his patches to workaround the XCode 2.2.1 bugs are in the NeoOffice CVS repository and makefile.

Is he working with a specific branch or are his fixes worked back into HEAD?

James
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject:

Right now all my recent fixes are being worked back into head. I am targeting gcc4.0.1 with HEAD/MAIN on PowerPC. The goal is to make sure the most recent PPC code can build with the tools needed to do the x86 targeting. I'm not tackling any endianness issues at this time but am hoping to split up the toolchain dependencies out first to ease the transition.

ed
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Right now all my recent fixes are being worked back into head. I am targeting gcc4.0.1 with HEAD/MAIN on PowerPC. The goal is to make sure the most recent PPC code can build with the tools needed to do the x86 targeting. I'm not tackling any endianness issues at this time but am hoping to split up the toolchain dependencies out first to ease the transition.

Thanks Ed. I think I might have found a problem with the salmenu.cxx. Patrick gave a suggestion on how to fix it, but that did not work. I'm investigating the header files....

James
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject:

Update: Base OOo compiles fully with gcc4.0.1, however there is a problem in the instsetoo_native project on my build that prevents the base OOo build from completing. Forcing module rebuild didn't solve the problem, so I'll need to debug further. The multilanguage build support in OOo 2.x is really smoking crack and is trying to process languages even if they don't have localized files (something Patrick has run into as well).

Unfortunately, at this point I can't verify if there are any issues in the Neo code itself as pertains to gcc4.0.1 as I'm stuck on this OOo install set build problem. Aside from installation set assembly, however, the two patches to disable optimizations should allow the entire core OOo to build. I don't know if it's functional beyond the fact that some of the basic build tools using the registery have finished successfully which is always a good sign that the c++ helper glue isn't completely horked for a new compiler revision.

ed
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Update: Base OOo compiles fully with gcc4.0.1, however there is a problem in the instsetoo_native project on my build that prevents the base OOo build from completing. Forcing module rebuild didn't solve the problem, so I'll need to debug further. The multilanguage build support in OOo 2.x is really smoking crack and is trying to process languages even if they don't have localized files (something Patrick has run into as well).

I agree with this. However, I tried to get XCode 2.2.1 yesterday and it is considered 'pre-release'. How this can be and it be required for Intel building, I don't know, but that's Apple for you.

OPENSTEP wrote:

Unfortunately, at this point I can't verify if there are any issues in the Neo code itself as pertains to gcc4.0.1 as I'm stuck on this OOo install set build problem. Aside from installation set assembly, however, the two patches to disable optimizations should allow the entire core OOo to build. I don't know if it's functional beyond the fact that some of the basic build tools using the registery have finished successfully which is always a good sign that the c++ helper glue isn't completely horked for a new compiler revision.

I do know that OpenOffice.org does build and run with the XCode 2.2 gcc 4.0.1 as I've built it and run it. I should have a complete build of NeoOffice with the same gcc version later today (it is packaging right now.)

Update The build finished but would not run. I think that I futzed up the NeoSpotlight install, so I'm working on a further build.

None of the external language packs would build either.

James
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject:

No, they did do a full release of it (I think) since I remember them updating the Universal guidelines to recommend 2.2.1. Regardless, it should build and hopefully the language pack issue can be solved easily. I didn't actually look at it in depth yesterday except by forcing a module rebuild.

The NeoLight install shouldn't affect Neo itself running. It's only a spotlight plugin and is never loaded by the application, only the mds daemon. If it's not running then there may be some other problem with the bridges or something for gcc4.0.1. I don't recall seeing changes in the ABI, but didn't look that in depth.

ed
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
No, they did do a full release of it (I think) since I remember them updating the Universal guidelines to recommend 2.2.1. Regardless, it should build and hopefully the language pack issue can be solved easily. I didn't actually look at it in depth yesterday except by forcing a module rebuild.

If you go to the Developer pages, you can only download 2.2 without logging in. If 2.2.1 were available, I think the page would state so. However, Apple as been known to sneek in a .1 release (Tiger is still listed as 10.4 although the DVDs have been refreshed since the original release.)

OPENSTEP wrote:

The NeoLight install shouldn't affect Neo itself running. It's only a spotlight plugin and is never loaded by the application, only the mds daemon. If it's not running then there may be some other problem with the bridges or something for gcc4.0.1. I don't recall seeing changes in the ABI, but didn't look that in depth.

I just faked downloading the .tgz file and put it in the install directory. A little editing of the makefile and all is well. No, it still does not run. And Patrick's fixes should not have broke it. I may have done so and will have to back out to fresh code and start again. I will update the BugZilla issue.

I'm also going to rerun the build, I think I found the added patch that futzed up the build.

James
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
OPENSTEP wrote:

If you go to the Developer pages, you can only download 2.2 without logging in. If 2.2.1 were available, I think the page would state so. However, Apple as been known to sneek in a .1 release (Tiger is still listed as 10.4 although the DVDs have been refreshed since the original release.)

2.2.1 *is* available officially if you log in to ADC (free membership), along with all other Xcode versions. While it's nice Apple is putting Xcode out for download on the public ADC site, if they're not pushing updates to the public site too, well, Evil or Very Mad

Apple's been very inconsistent about the manner in which they announce/push Xcode updates. 1.0.1 came via software update, and maybe 1.1, too. But 1.5 and above have been download only (excepting whichever version comes with 10.4.0). I think it was Eric H. who pointed me to the ADC newsletter after I wondered about 1.5's existance; that bi-weekly mailing always announces the latest official Xcode and other developer tools/docs/sample code updates.

Smokey

Operator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Neo 2.0 building (gcc 4)

I also built successfully Neo 2 with gcc 4.0, but the program just busy-loops, when started. Nothing is shown and soffice.bin -process is using about 30-40% of CPU all the time. I quickly looked at crash.log (after force-quitting), but there wasn't anything alarming straight-away.

I posted the crash.log to bug 1332
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Neo 2.0 building (gcc 4)

Mox wrote:
I also built successfully Neo 2 with gcc 4.0, but the program just busy-loops, when started. Nothing is shown and soffice.bin -process is using about 30-40% of CPU all the time. I quickly looked at crash.log (after force-quitting), but there wasn't anything alarming straight-away.

I posted the crash.log to bug 1332

This looks, strangely, like the same results that I got. I'm rerunning the build to make sure it was not something that I did with the 2.0.2 code.

Also, can we all please ATTACH crashlogs to the issues?

James
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha and gcc 4.0.1 (Xcode 2.2)

Well the build finished with the latest/greatest from Patrick and it works!

It is a little slow, but definately functions.

I am going to do a clear build as I had problems building the langage packages.

Thank you for that great deal of effort.

James
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha and gcc 4.0.1 (Xcode 2.2)

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
Well the build finished with the latest/greatest from Patrick and it works!

It is a little slow, but definately functions.

Does this mean there is a NeoOffice 2.0 pre-alpha building with gcc 4? That would open up neat possibilities...

Anyway I am glad to hear it is functioning. I hope you, Mox, Ed and Patrick do your magic. April getting close and everyone's setting on the edge of their seats Smile.

Best wishes,
Oscar

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 13 of 16