Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice 2.0 (or the beginnings of work on it.)
NeoOffice 2.0 (or the beginnings of work on it.)

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
jjmckenzie51 wrote:
I think you meant to say "I have NOT changed..." I understand that.

Yes, your assumption is correct.

BTW, I will commit my changes to Neo's sal module today so that sal will build properly. Merging the Mac alias resolution code and the file locking was tedious, but it took less than a day of work. You will see the new sal files tonight around 3:00 am in anoncvs.

Edit: with my sal updates, the build should build through Neo's custom sj2 module and will likely crap out in the stoc module.

Had to step back and re-run the 1.2 Alpha Patch 6 build. I will definately try building this with gcc 3.3. After that, I will try with gcc 4.0. Please be advised that my contact will be extremely limited next week (Think Sphinx.)

James
Mox
Operator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Neo 2.0 building...

pluby wrote:
jjmckenzie51 wrote:
I think you meant to say "I have NOT changed..." I understand that.

Yes, your assumption is correct.

BTW, I will commit my changes to Neo's sal module today so that sal will build properly. Merging the Mac alias resolution code and the file locking was tedious, but it took less than a day of work. You will see the new sal files tonight around 3:00 am in anoncvs.

Edit: with my sal updates, the build should build through Neo's custom sj2 module and will likely crap out in the stoc module.

I have tried to compile the Neo CVS HEAD, here are my experiences.
Machine: PB 12", OS X 10.4.3, Xcode 2.1, gcc set to 3.3

I started by checking out with:

Code:
setenv CVSROOT :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.neooffice.org:/cvs
cvs login
cvs -z3 co -r HEAD NeoOffice

Then used the neojava/makefile by running make in the neojava/ -directory.

I already had fink with some packages, so all I had to do was to "fink install fileutils" to get the gnu-copy, and then modify the makefile to adapt the paths.

While running make:
1) The CVS checkout of OpenOffice_2_0_0 tag was very slow on my 512kb ADSL connection. Adding -z3 to all "cvs co" in makefile helped a bit. Got tired of that as well and just downloaded the tarred source package from OOo -website.

2) Build first failed on NAS. Apparently the "xmkmf", that is run in the configuration phase of NAS, would need bash shell, to work properly, but my shell defaults to tcsh. I just added --disable-nas to makefile, as NAS is not strictly necessary.

3) Build failed on STLPORT when I initially tried to use gcc 4.0. I guess later OOo versions/CWSs have fixed this. Anyways, started using gcc 3.3. And it compiled fine, after re-running configuration phase.

4) Building failed on JVMFMK:
Code:
create-bundle: ../unxmacxp.pro/lib/libjvmfwk.dylib.3.jnilib successfully created
/neojava/build/solenv/bin/checkdll.sh -L../unxmacxp.pro/lib -L/neojava/build/solver/680/unxmacxp.pro/lib -L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib ../unxmacxp.pro/lib/libjvmfwk.dylib.3
Checking DLL ../unxmacxp.pro/lib/libjvmfwk.dylib.3 ...dyld: NSAddImage() error
dyld: Library not loaded: /sw/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
  Referenced from: /neojava/build/solver/680/unxmacxp.pro/lib/libxml2.2.dylib
  Reason: Incompatible library version: libxml2.2.dylib requires version 6.0.0 or later, but libiconv.2.dylib provides version 5.0.0 ../unxmacxp.pro/lib/libjvmfwk.dylib.3
/neojava/build/solenv/bin/checkdll.sh: line 67: 25994 Trace/BPT trap          $checkdll "$*"
dmake:  Error code 1, while making '../unxmacxp.pro/lib/libjvmfwk.dylib.3'
dmake:  '../unxmacxp.pro/lib/libjvmfwk.dylib.3' removed.
'---* tg_merge.mk *---'

ERROR: Error 65280 occurred while making /neojava/build/jvmfwk/source
make: *** [build.oo_all] Error 1

The version check complains about old libiconv, but I have the latest: libiconv-1.10

Decided to work around it by using system libraries... now using following additions to makefile:
Code:
--without-nas --with-system-jpeg --with-system-expat --with-system-libxml --with-system-python --with-system-curl

5) Building failed in I118NPOOL:
Code:

Error: Locale versionDTD is not 2.0, see comment in locale.dtd
Error: in data for en_AU: 229
parsing document en_AU finished
dmake:  Error code 229, while making '../../../unxmacxp.pro/misc/localedata_en_AU.cxx'
dmake:  '../../../unxmacxp.pro/misc/localedata_en_AU.cxx' removed.
'---* tg_merge.mk *---'

ERROR: Error 65280 occurred while making /neojava/build/i18npool/source/localedata/data
make: *** [build.oo_all] Error 1
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:59 am    Post subject:

I'm back.

I just tried to run the last update and it stops with an error 1 after the OpenOffice checkout. I think that I will try again without the special temporary checkout.

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
I just tried to run the last update and it stops with an error 1 after the OpenOffice checkout. I think that I will try again without the special temporary checkout.

You will need to delete your entire Neo 2.0 build and check out the Neo code from scratch. I had to do a number of changes to eliminate the many, many unnecessary linkages against the X11 libraries in the OOo code. These changes significantly reduce the number of modules that Neo must rebuiltd.

My suggestion is that after you check out a clean copy of the Neo code, you build using the following steps:

1. Install XCode 2.2 and set your compliler to gcc 3.3 and don't try gcc 4 until we know that gcc 3.3 works

2. I have already disabled nas in the latest makefile so hopefully you shouldn't have to change the makefile

3. Instead of changing the makefile to set your custom GNU copy and pkg-config commands, just invoke make with macro arguments like as follows:

Code:
make GNUCP=/absolute/GNU/copy/path \
PKG_CONFIG=/absolute/pkg-config/path

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
You will need to delete your entire Neo 2.0 build and check out the Neo code from scratch. I had to do a number of changes to eliminate the many, many unnecessary linkages against the X11 libraries in the OOo code. These changes significantly reduce the number of modules that Neo must rebuilt.

Checkout underway.

Update: I checked out the new NeoOffice 2.0 test code and started it. The build failed with an Error code 1 after checking out the OpenOffice code. I can comment out this section and continue with the build from this point.
/Update

Update2: Started over again and the checkout worked this time. Like I said earlier, the OpenOffice server appears to be schitzophrenic at times.
/Update2

pluby wrote:
1. Install XCode 2.2 and set your compliler to gcc 3.3 and don't try gcc 4 until we know that gcc 3.3 works

I was hoping to avoid upgrading to XCode 2.2.

pluby wrote:

2. I have already disabled nas in the latest makefile so hopefully you shouldn't have to change the makefile

Ok. I'm looking through the IZ list and I notice that someone is trying to 'tackle' integrating the native sound system for MacOSX instead of using sndfile.

pluby wrote:

3. Instead of changing the makefile to set your custom GNU copy and pkg-config commands, just invoke make with macro arguments like as follows:

Code:

Again, this will work. However, hardcoding any value into the makefile should be avoided unless it was not set externally.

James
Mox
Operator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:

pluby wrote:

Code:

Again, this will work. However, hardcoding any value into the makefile should be avoided unless it was not set externally.

James

In theory, pkg-config should be found by configure, but there's probably some reason why it doesn't work that way... or use something like PKG_CONFIG=`which pkg-config`

Gnu-copy is a difficult one, because in darwin ports it's called gcp and in fink it's just cp... especially the fink's cp has to be explicitly activated, otherwise the shell (tcsh/bash) cp is used instead :/ (some scripted discovery could work though...)

happy hacking Smile

Mox
Mox
Operator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Neo 2.0 building...

Mox wrote:

Now that OOo 2.0.1 has been released, I'm trying my luck with that... Smile
Got the source - tarfile from OOo and started compiling.
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Neo 2.0 building...

Mox wrote:
Mox wrote:

Now that OOo 2.0.1 has been released, I'm trying my luck with that... Smile
Got the source - tarfile from OOo and started compiling.

I tried to retrieve both 2_0_0 and 2_0_1 and for some reason the build stopped right after all of the source was checked out. I will retry with 2_0_1 as 2_0_0 worked after I got Neo's sources again.

James
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Results

Patrick/Mox:

Got to the VCL portion of building NeoOffice 2.0 test and received the following error:

Code:

/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice2.0_test/neojava/vcl/java/source/app/saldata.cxx: In destructor `SalData::~SalData()':
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice2.0_test/neojava/vcl/java/source/app/saldata.cxx:81: error: 'class ImplFontData' has no member named 'mpSysData'
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice2.0_test/neojava/vcl/java/source/app/saldata.cxx:81: warning: `pVCLFont' has incomplete type
../../../java/inc/com/sun/star/vcl/VCLGraphics.hxx:52: warning: forward declaration of `struct vcl::com_sun_star_vcl_VCLFont'
dmake:  Error code 1, while making '../../../unxmacxp.pro/slo/saldata.obj'
'---* tg_merge.mk *---'
dmake:  Error code 255, while making '../../../unxmacxp.pro/misc/salapp.dpr'
'---* TG_SLO.MK *---'

ERROR: Error 65280 occurred while making /Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice2.0_test/neojava/vcl/java/source/app
make: *** [build.neo_vcl_patch] Error 1

Looks better. Will retry with the latest XCode release 2.2 today.

Just one question on gcc 3.3. When I switched to it, I got the following:
Code:

sudo gcc_select 3.3
Password:
Default compiler has been set to:
gcc version 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1819)

Is this the version of gcc 3.3 that you are working with? I think I need to get the Nov 2004 fix.

Update
Here is what happened with the above version of gcc 3.3:
Code:

/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice2.0_test/neojava/build/solver/680/unxmacxp.pro/inc/stl/stl/_alloc.h:416: error: non-template 'rebind' used as template
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice2.0_test/neojava/build/solver/680/unxmacxp.pro/inc/stl/stl/_alloc.h:416: note: use '_Allocator::template rebind' to indicate that it is a template
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice2.0_test/neojava/build/solver/680/unxmacxp.pro/inc/stl/stl/_alloc.h:416: error: declaration does not declare anything
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice2.0_test/neojava/build/solver/680/unxmacxp.pro/inc/stl/stl/_alloc.h:417: error: '_Rebind_type' has not been declared
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice2.0_test/neojava/build/solver/680/unxmacxp.pro/inc/stl/stl/_alloc.h:417: error: expected nested-name-specifier before 'other'
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice2.0_test/neojava/build/solver/680/unxmacxp.pro/inc/stl/stl/_alloc.h:417: error: expected ';' before 'allocator_type'
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice2.0_test/neojava/build/solver/680/unxmacxp.pro/inc/stl/stl/_alloc.h:418: error: 'allocator_type' does not name a type
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice2.0_test/neojava/build/solver/680/unxmacxp.pro/inc/stl/stl/_alloc.h: In function 'typename _STL::_Alloc_traits<_Tp, _Allocator>::allocator_type _STL::__stl_alloc_create(const _Alloc&, const _Tp*)':
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice2.0_test/neojava/build/solver/680/unxmacxp.pro/inc/stl/stl/_alloc.h:460: error: non-template 'rebind' used as template
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice2.0_test/neojava/build/solver/680/unxmacxp.pro/inc/stl/stl/_alloc.h:460: note: use '_Alloc::template rebind' to indicate that it is a template
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice2.0_test/neojava/build/solver/680/unxmacxp.pro/inc/stl/stl/_alloc.h:460: error: declaration does not declare anything
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice2.0_test/neojava/build/solver/680/unxmacxp.pro/inc/stl/stl/_vector.h: At global scope:
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice2.0_test/neojava/build/solver/680/unxmacxp.pro/inc/stl/stl/_vector.h: In instantiation of '_STL::_Vector_base<ImpRCStack, _STL::allocator<ImpRCStack> >':
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice2.0_test/neojava/build/solver/680/unxmacxp.pro/inc/stl/stl/_vector.h:93:   instantiated from '_STL::vector<ImpRCStack, _STL::allocator<ImpRCStack> >'
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice2.0_test/neojava/build/solver/680/unxmacxp.pro/inc/tools/resmgr.hxx:130:   instantiated from here
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice2.0_test/neojava/build/solver/680/unxmacxp.pro/inc/stl/stl/_vector.h:69: error: no type named 'allocator_type' in 'struct _STL::_Alloc_traits<ImpRCStack, _STL::allocator<ImpRCStack> >'
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice2.0_test/neojava/build/solver/680/unxmacxp.pro/inc/stl/stl/_vector.h:88: error: no type named 'allocator_type' in 'struct _STL::_Alloc_traits<ImpRCStack, _STL::allocator<ImpRCStack> >'
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice2.0_test/neojava/build/solver/680/unxmacxp.pro/inc/stl/stl/_list.h: In instantiation of '_STL::_List_base<Link, _STL::allocator<Link> >':
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice2.0_test/neojava/build/solver/680/unxmacxp.pro/inc/stl/stl/_list.h:211:   instantiated from '_STL::list<Link, _STL::allocator<Link> >'
../../../inc/vclevent.hxx:247:   instantiated from here
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice2.0_test/neojava/build/solver/680/unxmacxp.pro/inc/stl/stl/_list.h:167: error: no type named 'allocator_type' in 'struct _STL::_Alloc_traits<_STL::_List_node<Link>, _STL::allocator<Link> >'
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice2.0_test/neojava/build/solver/680/unxmacxp.pro/inc/stl/stl/_list.h: In instantiation of '_STL::_List_base<Link, _STL::allocator<Link> >':
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice2.0_test/neojava/build/solver/680/unxmacxp.pro/inc/stl/stl/_list.h:211:   instantiated from '_STL::list<Link, _STL::allocator<Link> >'
../../../inc/vclevent.hxx:247:   instantiated from here
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice2.0_test/neojava/build/solver/680/unxmacxp.pro/inc/stl/stl/_list.h:170: error: no type named 'allocator_type' in 'struct _STL::_Alloc_traits<Link, _STL::allocator<Link> >'
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice2.0_test/neojava/build/solver/680/unxmacxp.pro/inc/stl/stl/_list.h:172: error: no type named 'allocator_type' in 'struct _STL::_Alloc_traits<Link, _STL::allocator<Link> >'
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice2.0_test/neojava/build/solver/680/unxmacxp.pro/inc/stl/stl/_list.h:176: error: no type named 'allocator_type' in 'struct _STL::_Alloc_traits<Link, _STL::allocator<Link> >'
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice2.0_test/neojava/build/solver/680/unxmacxp.pro/inc/stl/stl/_list.h:190: error: no type named 'allocator_type' in 'struct _STL::_Alloc_traits<_STL::_List_node<Link>, _STL::allocator<Link> >'
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice2.0_test/neojava/vcl/java/source/app/salmain.cxx: In function 'int main(int, char**)':
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice2.0_test/neojava/vcl/java/source/app/salmain.cxx:84: error: invalid conversion from 'const sal_Char*' to 'char*'
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice2.0_test/neojava/vcl/java/source/app/salmain.cxx:84: error:   initializing argument 1 of 'int putenv(char*)'
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice2.0_test/neojava/vcl/java/source/app/salmain.cxx:98: error: invalid conversion from 'const sal_Char*' to 'char*'
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice2.0_test/neojava/vcl/java/source/app/salmain.cxx:98: error:   initializing argument 1 of 'int putenv(char*)'
dmake:  Error code 1, while making '../../../unxmacxp.pro/obj/salmain.obj'
'---* tg_merge.mk *---'
dmake:  Error code 255, while making '../../../unxmacxp.pro/misc/salapp.dpr'
'---* TG_SLO.MK *---'

ERROR: Error 65280 occurred while making /Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice2.0_test/neojava/vcl/java/source/app
make: *** [build.neo_vcl_patch] Error 1

Looks like a different problem.

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Neo 2.0 building...

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
I tried to retrieve both 2_0_0 and 2_0_1 and for some reason the build stopped right after all of the source was checked out. I will retry with 2_0_1 as 2_0_0 worked after I got Neo's sources again.

Using 2_0_1 is almost guaranteed not to work. The Neo build works by patching the OOo code both before and after the OOo build so swapping in a different OOo tag is very likely to cause application of 2_0_0 patches to 2_0_1 code.

Since 2_0_0 builds on both Panther and Tiger for me, my first priority is to finish moving the NeoOffice custom vcl and installer code to match the OOo 2_0_0 branch. Only after I get that done will I worry about upgrading the build to use the newest OOo tag. After all, if it takes two months for me to get that done, OOo 2_0_2 could be out by then so waste time on continually upgrading the build.

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Neo 2.0 building...

pluby wrote:
jjmckenzie51 wrote:

Using 2_0_1 is almost guaranteed not to work. The Neo build works by patching the OOo code both before and after the OOo build so swapping in a different OOo tag is very likely to cause application of 2_0_0 patches to 2_0_1 code.

The interesting thing is that I decided to restart the build just in case gcc messed things up and the checkout 'died' again. It looks like I need a clean build directory and this is being enforced in a strange manner. In any case I cleared out the build directory and will restart the build again.

I agree that your fixes should NOT work against 2.0.1 but it has several major fixes in it for MacOSX. This may make your work easier (or not.)

I agree if you have a building system, then you should work from there to get NeoOffice built. I could not get 2.0 to build on my system.

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Neo 2.0 building...

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
The interesting thing is that I decided to restart the build just in case gcc messed things up and the checkout 'died' again. It looks like I need a clean build directory and this is being enforced in a strange manner. In any case I cleared out the build directory and will restart the build again.

Yes, I mentioned in this forum topic on December 24 that you need to do a clean checkout and build of the Neo sources as I had made some big changes.

[quote="jjmckenzie51"]I agree that your fixes should NOT work against 2.0.1 but it has several major fixes in it for MacOSX. This may make your work easier (or not.)[quote]

Most likely not as NeoOffice does not use any of the X11 code. The NeoOffice build replaces all of the X11 code with Java or Cocoa code so most X11-based fixes are not useful for NeoOffice. For example, nas support is not used by NeoOffice because NeoOffice has already native sound support using the Mac OS X's native audio APIs.

In other words, NeoOffice only reuses the platform-independent OpenOffice.org code. As long as OpenOffice.org builds on a Mac, I'm happy even if the vcl X11 has bugs in it as NeoOffice has its own completely separate vcl implementation (i.e. the code that Ed and I have copyrighted).

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Neo 2.0 building...

pluby wrote:
jjmckenzie51 wrote:

Yes, I mentioned in this forum topic on December 24 that you need to do a clean checkout and build of the Neo sources as I had made some big changes.

I did do a clean checkout of the NeoOffice sources. They are just fine. It is when I do a checkout of the OpenOffice sources that the error occurs. This is definately repeatable. I'm thinking that one has to clean out the build directory if one removes all of the build.oo_ and build.neo_ 'flags'. I'm wondering what will happen if I run a cvs checkout against the files that were previously checked out and modified by your patches.

pluby wrote:
jjmckenzie51 wrote:
I agree that your fixes should NOT work against 2.0.1 but it has several major fixes in it for MacOSX. This may make your work easier (or not.)

Most likely not as NeoOffice does not use any of the X11 code. The NeoOffice build replaces all of the X11 code with Java or Cocoa code so most X11-based fixes are not useful for NeoOffice. For example, nas support is not used by NeoOffice because NeoOffice has already native sound support using the Mac OS X's native audio APIs.

I'm looking at an IZ to replace nas. Maybe you might want to contribute your code to that effort.

pluby wrote:
In other words, NeoOffice only reuses the platform-independent OpenOffice.org code. As long as OpenOffice.org builds on a Mac, I'm happy even if the vcl X11 has bugs in it as NeoOffice has its own completely separate vcl implementation (i.e. the code that Ed and I have copyrighted).

How about completely replacing VCL with something that works better? I know it is a massive effort, but it will definately make the OOo folks sit up and take notice.

BTW, I started the download again. And I had to shutoff my system's sleep when on mains power functionality. It will still sleep if I'm using batteries or if I close the lid.

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Neo 2.0 building...

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
How about completely replacing VCL with something that works better? I know it is a massive effort, but it will definately make the OOo folks sit up and take notice.

??? Tell you what. Before you give such advice, I would recommend that you visualize doing what you are recommending first. I know that it is really easy to give advice that costs you neither time nor money but I've been working on the NeoOffice version of vcl fulltime now for three years. Visualizing yourself quitting your job and working on this fulltime without pay for the next 3 to 5 years hopefully will give you sense of how receptive I am to such advice.

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Neo 2.0 building...

pluby wrote:
jjmckenzie51 wrote:

??? Tell you what. Before you give such advice, I would recommend that you visualize doing what you are recommending first. I know that it is really easy to give advice that costs you neither time nor money but I've been working on the NeoOffice version of vcl fulltime now for three years.

Patrick:

It was a suggestion. I did not know how much work it would take to do this.

pluby wrote:
Visualizing yourself quitting your job and working on this fulltime without pay for the next 3 to 5 years hopefully will give you sense of how receptive I am to such advice.

And I would expect you to react this way. I know how it is to work on a project for three years, only to have it rejected by others. This has happened to me in the past. I've been working on the same 'real world' task for over one and one-half years. I fully expect it to be rejected in the very near future (don't ask me why, I just have that feeling.) I expect at that time to move on to another job that will be very much closer to home (I travel about three hours a day.) It will entail less work hours and instant job statisfaction. However, I will be taking quite a pay cut. It will free me to do some of the things I've been wanting to do. Helping with NeoOffice is just one of those things.

Also, I had to give up on Firefox 1.5. It was blocking me out of replying to the Trinity (I still don't know why) and did not fix the various problems I had with my office's Outlook Web Access. Firefox 1.0.7 on Windows did fix the problem. Maybe it is still available for the Mac.

James
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 3 of 16