Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice 2.0 (or the beginnings of work on it.)
NeoOffice 2.0 (or the beginnings of work on it.)

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Mox,

I have removed the --with-system-python argument from the neojava/makefile so that when you checkout the code, it will have a reasonably good chance of building all of the way through.

Even though not using the system Python makes that build bigger and longer, my main goal is to get the build past the OOo build so that I can continue work on the NeoOffice custom code and, more importantly, reboot back into Panther so that I can continue to work on Neo 1.2 bugs.

Patrick
Mox
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Compiling OOo 2.0.1

ovvldc wrote:
pluby wrote:
That is true. You won't see the corrected patch until 3:00 am Pacific time tonight as anoncvs is only updated once each day from the main cvs server. Tomorrow, the stlport.patch file will be basically the same as Pavel's last attachment in Issuezilla 49044.

Can James and Mox somehow get read access to the main CVS server? The update lag seems to be causing tons of confusion and delays. It would be nice to facilitate their efforts more.

Best wishes,
Oscar

While this would be nice, I guess I won't be able to do compiling work this intensively after the holidays are over... But if it isn't too much work for Patrick, then sure.

I guess what's causing confusion is mostly due to the fact that it takes such a long time to compile stuff, and that I'm very new to the codebase.
Mox
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:44 am    Post subject: buildconfig...

pluby wrote:
Mox,

I have removed the --with-system-python argument from the neojava/makefile so that when you checkout the code, it will have a reasonably good chance of building all of the way through.

Even though not using the system Python makes that build bigger and longer, my main goal is to get the build past the OOo build so that I can continue work on the NeoOffice custom code and, more importantly, reboot back into Panther so that I can continue to work on Neo 1.2 bugs.

Patrick

Yup, that's just fine. I can inform you when appropriate patch is available to fix the system-python issue. There is a good chance it will get into OOo 2.0.2... As a manual workaround, I have successfully finished a build of OOo 2.0.1 with gcc 3.3 by doing:
Code:
mkdir -p neojava/build/solver/680/unxmacxp.pro/lib
cd neojava/build/solver/680/unxmacxp.pro/lib
ln -s pyuno.dylib pyuno.so
(this can be done before checking out the sources or when the build fails)

I'm now building with gcc 4.0.x (111 of 139 modules built). It will continue to neo-build once that completes...

Although you have more important tasks with Neo, I still have one small wish for neojava/makefile. Could you please move the (relevant) configure flags into a environment variable, like this:
Code:
OO_CONF_FLAGS="--with-epm=internal --disable-gtk --disable-mozilla --without-nas --with-x --x-includes=/usr/X11R6/include"

( cd "$(BUILD_HOME)/config_office" ; setenv PATH "/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin" ; unsetenv DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH ; ./configure CC="$(CC)" CXX="$(CXX)" PKG_CONFIG=$(PKG_CONFIG) --with-jdk-home=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Home $(OO_CONF_FLAGS) ---with-gnu-cp="$(GNUCP)" --with-lang="$(OO_LANGUAGES)" )

This change would allow me to leave the makefile untouched and also the cvs diffs would be more readable, when fiddling with the flags...

Thanks a lot for your help so far!
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Mox,

It is vastly more important to fix a running product. In other words, fix the bugs in NeoOffice 1.2. We (Mox and I) have to get a final build for OpenOffice 2.0.1 without the other problems.

And cvs is still 'broke'. However, I did a manual cvs -z3 checkout -r ... and it finished with no new files retrieved. I believe either the CVS system at OpenOffice.org has a problem when a checkout finishes or that the cvs program that Apple uses is broken. In any case, I will not follow what Mox suggested as there are fixes in 2.0.1 that were not there in the release candidate code.

Update on CVSSomething interesting happened today when I tried to update my copy of HEAD. I use the following line:
Code:

cvs -z3 update -d

because the connection seems to work best with the 3 level of compression over my cellular connection (not needed with my DSL connection).
I received a 'Shutting down buffer from server: connection reset by peer' after all of the updates were received. I think I am correct in stating that cvs from Apple is 'broken' in XCode 2.2 (or I borked it somewhere.)

James
Mox
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: CVS updating

I have no reason to believe that the source tar.gz that is available next to the 2.0.1 binary releases is somehow different than OO 2_0_1 -tag. That would be insane.

Your continuous tries to use OOo cvs puts unnecessary strain on the CVS. And if you are paranoid, you can always do cvs -z3 co -r ... in the build directory where you unpacked the OO 2.0.1 from the tarfile (just be sure to cd into OOA680_m1 or move the files.). That way, only the (unlikely) changes get transferred across.

I think that the errors that you are seeing are either timeout errors because of slow connection or other errors because of slow OOo cvs. There isn't much you can do about them.

Mox

jjmckenzie51 wrote:

And cvs is still 'broke'. However, I did a manual cvs -z3 checkout -r ... and it finished with no new files retrieved. I believe either the CVS system at OpenOffice.org has a problem when a checkout finishes or that the cvs program that Apple uses is broken. In any case, I will not follow what Mox suggested as there are fixes in 2.0.1 that were not there in the release candidate code.

Update on CVSSomething interesting happened today when I tried to update my copy of HEAD. I use the following line:
Code:

cvs -z3 update -d

because the connection seems to work best with the 3 level of compression over my cellular connection (not needed with my DSL connection).
I received a 'Shutting down buffer from server: connection reset by peer' after all of the updates were received. I think I am correct in stating that cvs from Apple is 'broken' in XCode 2.2 (or I borked it somewhere.)

James
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: CVS updating

Mox wrote:
I have no reason to believe that the source tar.gz that is available next to the 2.0.1 binary releases is somehow different than OO 2_0_1 -tag. That would be insane.

I think that the OOA680_m1 was a release candidate (or that was what I was told on the dev@porting mail list.) There may have been minor changes from the rc to the final code that was released. Your suggestion to get the tarball of OOA680 and then update it with the cvs is an interesting one and may not work because of the way that CVS works (take a look at any of the TAG files in the CVS directory to get an idea of what I'm looking at.)

Mox wrote:

Your continuous tries to use OOo cvs puts unnecessary strain on the CVS. And if you are paranoid, you can always do cvs -z3 co -r ... in the build directory where you unpacked the OO 2.0.1 from the tarfile (just be sure to cd into OOA680_m1 or move the files.). That way, only the (unlikely) changes get transferred across.

Huh? Unnecessary straing on the CVS server? It should be designed to handle what I'm doing. If the problem is the cvs server, then that may be why I'm getting error code 1's when I use it. It should be as much or even more strain to do an update vice a checkout of the code (you have to compare what I send to the server and then only send what I need vice sending everything.) Also, farming out the anonymous cvs server function to several servers at several locations might correct any server overloads and network slowness (or it might make it worse depending on the server and network load/delay.) In any case, this definately is looking more and more like a cvs server or network connection problem and less and less like a problem with my Mac.

Mox wrote:

I think that the errors that you are seeing are either timeout errors because of slow connection or other errors because of slow OOo cvs. There isn't much you can do about them.

Ok. This I will agree with. I think the connection from the cvs server to the Internet is 'clogged' as I have no problems running a browser and mail reader at the same time as I'm running the cvs (at least from my home connection.)

Also, the error message back from the NeoOffice cvs server is a new one. I've never had problems with the anonymous cvs server since I started working with building NeoOffice (or at least that I can remember.)

James
Mox
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: CVS updating

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
In any case, I will not follow what Mox suggested as there are fixes in 2.0.1 that were not there in the release candidate code.

James

To give you a peace of mind, I did CVS update on the contents of the OOo 2.0.1 tarfile. The result: no changes (well, one readme-file was different in sdk_oo, probably altered when tar was packaged).

So, do yourself a favor and download the tarfile from ftp://ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/openoffice/stable/2.0.1/OOo_2.0.1_src.tar.gz
I may have linked to a wrong place before.

It's faster to download the tarfile than doing cvs update, anyways.

It is ordinary in development and it seems that OOo release teams doing it, that the last RC (release candidate) is actually the release itself. Thus for OOo 2.0.0 it is OOo_2.0.0rc3 and for OOo 2.0.1 it is OOA680_m1
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: CVS updating

Mox wrote:
To give you a peace of mind, I did CVS update on the contents of the OOo 2.0.1 tarfile. The result: no changes (well, one readme-file was different in sdk_oo, probably altered when tar was packaged).

Ok. Point taken. I have the tarball from Pavel's build site and will use it when I restart the build again.

Mox wrote:

It's faster to download the tarfile than doing cvs update, anyways.

That is very true because the files are compressed. I decided to try and run a cvs checkout without the -z3 parameter. I estimate that it would take about two DAYS (48 hours) to complete.

Mox wrote:

It is ordinary in development and it seems that OOo release teams doing it, that the last RC (release candidate) is actually the release itself. Thus for OOo 2.0.0 it is OOo_2.0.0rc3 and for OOo 2.0.1 it is OOA680_m1

It may be the way that Sun does it for OpenOffice, but I've worked many projects and the final is ALWAYS renamed to the released product name not left with the release candidate name. This is more to ease confusion than anything else.

In any case see my next post for the problem I'm having building OpenOffice 2.0.1 with gcc 4.0.1.

James
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Berkeleydb will not build with gcc 4.0.1

Patrick/Mox:

I got as far as building berkeleydb and the build failed with the following error:

/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=link /sw/bin/ccache /usr/bin/gcc -avoid-version -rpath /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2/lib -o libdb-4.2.la mut_tas.lo db185.lo bt_compare.lo bt_conv.lo bt_curadj.lo bt_cursor.lo bt_delete.lo bt_method.lo bt_open.lo bt_put.lo bt_rec.lo bt_reclaim.lo bt_recno.lo bt_rsearch.lo bt_search.lo bt_split.lo bt_stat.lo bt_upgrade.lo btree_auto.lo hash.lo hash_auto.lo hash_conv.lo hash_dup.lo hash_meta.lo hash_method.lo hash_open.lo hash_page.lo hash_rec.lo hash_reclaim.lo hash_stat.lo hash_upgrade.lo hash_verify.lo qam.lo qam_auto.lo qam_conv.lo qam_files.lo qam_method.lo qam_open.lo qam_rec.lo qam_stat.lo qam_upgrade.lo qam_verify.lo rep_method.lo rep_record.lo rep_region.lo rep_util.lo db_ovfl_vrfy.lo db_vrfy.lo db_vrfyutil.lo bt_verify.lo crypto_stub.lo crdel_auto.lo crdel_rec.lo db.lo db_am.lo db_auto.lo db_byteorder.lo db_cam.lo db_conv.lo db_dispatch.lo db_dup.lo db_err.lo db_getlong.lo db_idspace.lo db_iface.lo db_join.lo db_log2.lo db_meta.lo db_method.lo db_open.lo db_overflow.lo db_pr.lo db_rec.lo db_reclaim.lo db_rename.lo db_remove.lo db_ret.lo db_salloc.lo db_shash.lo db_truncate.lo db_upg.lo db_upg_opd.lo dbm.lo dbreg.lo dbreg_auto.lo dbreg_rec.lo dbreg_util.lo env_file.lo env_method.lo env_open.lo env_recover.lo env_region.lo fileops_auto.lo fop_basic.lo fop_rec.lo fop_util.lo hash_func.lo hmac.lo hsearch.lo lock.lo lock_deadlock.lo lock_method.lo lock_region.lo lock_stat.lo lock_util.lo log.lo log_archive.lo log_compare.lo log_get.lo log_method.lo log_put.lo mp_alloc.lo mp_bh.lo mp_fget.lo mp_fopen.lo mp_fput.lo mp_fset.lo mp_method.lo mp_region.lo mp_register.lo mp_stat.lo mp_sync.lo mp_trickle.lo mutex.lo os_abs.lo os_alloc.lo os_clock.lo os_config.lo os_dir.lo os_errno.lo os_fid.lo os_fsync.lo os_handle.lo os_id.lo os_map.lo os_method.lo os_oflags.lo os_open.lo os_region.lo os_rename.lo os_root.lo os_rpath.lo os_rw.lo os_seek.lo os_sleep.lo os_spin.lo os_stat.lo os_tmpdir.lo os_unlink.lo sha1.lo txn.lo txn_auto.lo txn_method.lo txn_rec.lo txn_recover.lo txn_region.lo txn_stat.lo txn_util.lo xa.lo xa_db.lo xa_map.lo
libtool: link: `mut_tas.lo' is not a valid libtool object
make[1]: *** [libdb-4.2.la] Error 1
dmake: Error code 2, while making './unxmacxp.pro/misc/build/so_built_so_berkeleydb'
'---* tg_merge.mk *---'

ERROR: Error 65280 occurred while making /Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice2.0_test/neojava/build/berkeleydb
make: *** [build.oo_all] Error 1

I'm guessing that ccache did not finish building this object before libtool tried to check it. I am using the following line to invoke make:

~/NeoOfficeJ/NeoOffice2.0_test/neojava jamesmckenzie$ make GNUCP=/sw/bin/cp PKG_CONFIG=/sw/bin/pkg-config CC="/sw/bin/ccache /usr/bin/gcc" CXX="/sw/bin/ccache /usr/bin/g++" >& log_build0_gcc33_2005_1230_1019

The redirect sends both stdout and stderr to the logging file (tcsh will not allow separate logging.) I also had to enclose the $(CC) and $(CXX) variables in double quotes in order to use the makefile (CC="$(CC)").

Anyway I will rerun the build without using ccache and see what happens...

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Berkeleydb will not build with gcc 4.0.1

jjmckenzie51 wrote:

I think that this is a good idea. While ccache may speed up rebuilds, the approach that I use for NeoOffice to build OOo once and then limit rebuilding to a separate customized copy of a particular module (e.g. vcl). This way, you can rebuild custom sal or vcl code very quickly and just drop it into the OOo installation that you built.

What many people don't realize is that Sun's engineers in Hamburg do it this way (that is where I got the idea in the first place). At Sun, their release engineering group builds all of OOo every Monday and then developers just mount the built solver directory in order to rebuild the particular module that they work on.

If you can get OOo 2.0.1 to build without ccache using the NeoOffice makefile, I can pretty much guarantee that I won't change the OOo tag that I use until the OOo 2.0.2 tag is created. There is little advantage to continually rebuilding OOo as I believe that Sun is only doing bug fixes at this point so the OOo 2.0.1 tag should be good enough to get an initial, installable NeoOffice 2.0 built.

Once I can get NeoOffice 2.0 to build and install, then I'll look at updating the OOo tag.

In other words, I'll proceed one small step at a time.

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Building with gcc 4.0.1 continues

pluby wrote:
jjmckenzie51 wrote:

I think that this is a good idea. While ccache may speed up rebuilds, the approach that I use for NeoOffice to build OOo once and then limit rebuilding to a separate customized copy of a particular module (e.g. vcl). This way, you can rebuild custom sal or vcl code very quickly and just drop it into the OOo installation that you built.

I think that I got past berkeleydb, but is there some place that I can look to find out which order the 139 modules are built, other than trying to parse out the log files?

Thank you.

James
Mox
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Berkeleydb will not build with gcc 4.0.1

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
Patrick/Mox:

I got as far as building berkeleydb and the build failed.

James

Yes, I got hit with that as well... There is something very weird happening there.

However, if you just cd into neojava/build -directory and compile that library manually:
Code:
source MacosxEnv.Set
cd berkeleydb
dmake

Then it will build just fine... with ccache also (I kind of doubt that ccache is the reason...)

I have now only 6 modules left, before I have a complete OOo2 built.

Mox
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Berkeleydb will not build with gcc 4.0.1

Mox wrote:
jjmckenzie51 wrote:
Patrick/Mox:

I got as far as building berkeleydb and the build failed.

James

Yes, I got hit with that as well... There is something very weird happening there.

That may be a misstatement. I've never seen a 'clean' build of berkeleydb. I had a patch for 1.1.5 that had to be applied or it would not build. I think there was a patch for 2.0 but it should be incorporated into 2.0.1.

Mox wrote:

I have now only 6 modules left, before I have a complete OOo2 built.

Can you point me to a listing of which module gets build in what order? I would like to know where my build is at and how far I got before it failed?

I think that my build is in Registry right now on gcc 4.0.1 (this is the supposed version of gcc shipped with XCode 2.2.)

Also, I have Pavel's build and will start it once NeoOffice's build stops. I will try his M147 build with gcc 3.3 and then with gcc 4.0. His builds supposedly work with gcc 4.0.1 now.

James
Mox
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Building with gcc 4.0.1 continues

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
I think that I got past berkeleydb, but is there some place that I can look to find out which order the 139 modules are built, other than trying to parse out the log files?

Well, I cooked up a little script, while waiting the builds... It much more fun to see where things are going. This is extremely crude way and is not suitable for rebuilds, but hey, I take patches Smile

howmuchdone.sh
and
howmuchdone.sh.config

to make them useful, put them to the directory above neojava, and run with ./howmuchdone.sh

It does show the approximate order of the modules, though.

mox Smile
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Building with gcc 4.0.1 continues

Mox wrote:
jjmckenzie51 wrote:

Well, I cooked up a little script, while waiting the builds... It much more fun to see where things are going. This is extremely crude way and is not suitable for rebuilds, but hey, I take patches Smile

Simple, effective and yes, crude. However, this should work for what I wanted to know. At least the .config file has a listing of the modules and the order in which they are built. Update: I'm in the officecfg module and things are running smoothly now. Again, thank you for the script, it is functional abet a little crude. Maybe some output formatting would work. I think that I can do something like that.

I do run build logs and the various modules/projects look like the following:

=============
Building project solenv
=============

I think that I will have to build a parser that will pull just the project name and put that in a second file. Then I can compare the results of this file to that of the .config file and then print out the results to the screen (maybe.) I will have to work on my shell skills, unless you have a better idea (maybe saving the projects to an array variable and then comparing the variable to the .config file.) This should be a fun project.

BTW, my log files are in the form log_buildx_gcc33|gcc40_yyyy_mmdd_hhMM24

Thank you.

James
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 5 of 16