Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice 2.0 (or the beginnings of work on it.)
NeoOffice 2.0 (or the beginnings of work on it.)

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha and gcc 4.0.1 (Xcode 2.2)

ovvldc wrote:
jjmckenzie51 wrote:
Well the build finished with the latest/greatest from Patrick and it works!

It is a little slow, but definately functions.

Does this mean there is a NeoOffice 2.0 pre-alpha building with gcc 4? That would open up neat possibilities...

It is coming along and Patrick is definately to blame on this...All I do is run builds and make sure everything works as it should.

ovvldc wrote:

Anyway I am glad to hear it is functioning. I hope you, Mox, Ed and Patrick do your magic. April getting close and everyone's setting on the edge of their seats Smile.

Yes, I will have to take some time off and get the old American/Arizona taxes done and sent in.

James
bhaktisong

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: How can I help?

I just bought a PowerMac G5 and I want to help develop. I have an MSCS from GMU and a good deal (ten years) of systems engineering experience in the Windows world. I've been using Linux for the last 4 years. How can I be of use to you?
Thanks!
bhaktisong

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: How can I help?

bhaktisong wrote:
I just bought a PowerMac G5 and I want to help develop. I have an MSCS from GMU and a good deal (ten years) of systems engineering experience in the Windows world. I've been using Linux for the last 4 years. How can I be of use to you?

Are you used to working with CVS?

Also, please read through the Building instructions on the NeoOffice web site.

James
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Welcome!

The wiki also contains some tips and an "introduction" that supplement the official build instructions.

Once you make it through the build process and are comfortable with the code, there are all sorts of avenues: porting, general bug-fixing, and even some outstanding feature requests (Address Book integration, native filepickers, more Aqua widgets, etc.), and every hand helps.

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha and gcc 4.0.1 (Xcode 2.2)

jjmckenzie51 wrote:

I found some big problems with vcl code and the installer build that were causing some crashing and failures to load images embedded in documents. I fixed the problems today so, after the next anoncvs sync, I recommend that you cvs update your neojava directory, delete the build.neo_vcl_patch file, and invoke make again. This will rebuild vcl and the installer. After you reinstall, I recommend that you delete your ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.x directory as well just to be on the safe side.

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha and gcc 4.0.1 (Xcode 2.2)

pluby wrote:
jjmckenzie51 wrote:

I found some big problems with vcl code and the installer build that were causing some crashing and failures to load images embedded in documents. I fixed the problems today so, after the next anoncvs sync, I recommend that you cvs update your neojava directory, delete the build.neo_vcl_patch file, and invoke make again. This will rebuild vcl and the installer. After you reinstall, I recommend that you delete your ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.x directory as well just to be on the safe side.

Thank you. I will be syncing up this afternoon.

James
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject:

The fixes weren't in this afternoon but should be available now (I just finished a manual sync).

ed
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
The fixes weren't in this afternoon but should be available now (I just finished a manual sync).

Thank you.

James
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject:

OK, HEAD definitely compiles with gcc4.0.1 fully, finally. Turns out all the language pack issues I was having were simply due to running out of disk space on the drive on which I was building. For a build with full languages, you will need about 14 GB of disk space available (more for temp files). But finally I have a full build and can start to play! Woo hoo!

ed
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject:

Ed,

Woo Hoo. You Rock!

Philip ( waiting for that NeoOffice 2 goodness Wink )
mirus
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
OK, HEAD definitely compiles with gcc4.0.1 fully, finally. Turns out all the language pack issues I was having were simply due to running out of disk space on the drive on which I was building. For a build with full languages, you will need about 14 GB of disk space available (more for temp files). But finally I have a full build and can start to play! Woo hoo!

ed

Are you building on Intel o PPC? UB or not?

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject:

mirus wrote:
OPENSTEP wrote:

ed

Are you building on Intel o PPC? UB or not?

First we have to get a good build on 4.0.1. Second, the underlying OpenOffice.org code has to be able to build as a UB, that has not happened and is in very slow progress. This may take almost one year.

The first goal is to get a fully functioning (at or better than NeoOffice 1.1.5) verision of a NeoOffice 2.0 alpha. The second is to port a final over to the Intel platform. Third is to look at building Universal Binaries.

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
The first goal is to get a fully functioning (at or better than NeoOffice 1.1.5) verision of a NeoOffice 2.0 alpha. The second is to port a final over to the Intel platform. Third is to look at building Universal Binaries.

The first and second goals are correct but you can drop the third. The size of the NeoOffice 2.0 PowerPC binary without any localization is 120 MB. Making a Universal Binary would nearly double that (or at least push it over 200 MB). Since the NeoOffice mirrors currently use a combined bandwidth of roughly 40 terabytes (yes, terabytes) of bandwidth and bandwidth is extremely expensive for all of the mirrors, releasing a UB would immediately add another 25 terabytes of bandwidth usage to serve the current number of downloads.

Because of the high bandwidth cost but server disk space is cheap, any Neo 2.0 binary that I release will contain only one platform. At first, like Neo 1.2.x, there will be *-PowerPC.dmg download files. Then, when I release Intel binaries, I will add *-Intel.dmg download files.

While I am talking about binary size, Neo 2.0 will also have another big change: the main binary will only have English. While Neo 1.2.x had 14 languages in the main binary, OpenOffice.org 2.0 is a lot bigger than OpenOffice.org 1.1.x so in order to keep the download file the same size as Neo 1.2.x, I had to move all but English to separate language pack installers.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
While I am talking about binary size, Neo 2.0 will also have another big change: the main binary will only have English. While Neo 1.2.x had 14 languages in the main binary, OpenOffice.org 2.0 is a lot bigger than OpenOffice.org 1.1.x so in order to keep the download file the same size as Neo 1.2.x, I had to move all but English to separate language pack installers.

*sigh* Sad

I guess that's what happens with Sun decides OOo needs to include another whole application.

As for the other bit, do we need to put up a big sign that says "Are you crazy? Do you want to download an additional 120 MB that you will never use?!" (and that's just user-end issues, which completely ignores the cost to Patrick of providing binary downloads). Shocked

Really, once an app exceeds a few MB (unless it's only available on CD/DVD), the benefits of a Universal Binary are marginal at best, and most people would be better served with choosing between two single-binary downloads (and hey, it saves the developer from needing to run lipo!)

Smokey

Operator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
First we have to get a good build on 4.0.1. Second, the underlying OpenOffice.org code has to be able to build as a UB, that has not happened and is in very slow progress. This may take almost one year.

I don't know where you get the information, but my understanding is that there is very little preventing a complete UB build on OOo. There just haven't been any skilled persons actively doing it. Pavel will get that done eventually, though.

I wouldn't be surprised to see OOo 2.0.4 released as Universal binary.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 14 of 16