Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Make cell input and output?
Make cell input and output?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freakazoid
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Make cell input and output?

Can a cell containing a formula also be used as an input? It seems that if a cell contains a formula and you then type a value in it, the formula disappears. Is there any way around that?
Baggypants
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject:

As far as I know the short answer is no. Spreadsheets tend to have cells that are either functions or data,not both.

However if you give us an idea of what you want to do I'll try and wrap a function round it. I like functions, and Neo has loads to play with Smile

Its useful to think as functions always looking at other cells, not usualy their own.
freakazoid
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject:

I see what you mean. I have two cells next to each other, one for grams and the other for ounces. Entering a value in either one will convert to the other in the adjacent cell. But once I enter a value that cell formula is replaced. I was looking for a way around having to have two extra cells for input. It supposedly can be done with VBA in excel.

http://www.ozgrid.com/VBA/run-macros-change.htm

I had mine formatted with two extra cells for input and I can keep that if needed.

Baggypants wrote:
However if you give us an idea of what you want to do I'll try and wrap a function round it. I like functions, and Neo has loads to play with Smile

Its useful to think as functions always looking at other cells, not usualy their own.
Baggypants
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject:

the nearest is the CONVERT_ADD function

Quote:
Converts a value from one unit of measure to the corresponding value in another unit of measure. Enter the units of measures directly as text in quotation marks or as a reference. If you enter the units of measure in cells, they must correspond exactly with the following list which is case sensitive: For example, in order to enter a lower case l (for liter) in a cell, enter the apostrophe ' immediately followed by l.

look it up in NeoOffice Help, although instead of swapping the numbers round your swapping the values. I'l have four cells set up for this

Code:
|Data | From Unit | To Unit | Function|
freakazoid
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject:

With the convert_add function you must change the formula with each input. That would be too difficult for the average person using this spreadsheet for a backpacking gearlist. I didn't see a kilogram measure in that list. I could not figure out what many of those measure were.
Baggypants
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject:

looking again at the help shows that you can prefix measures, so you can have mg, cg, kg, Mg etc..

This dosn't help you with the userfriendly aspect though

but, serendipitously, if you have a look at the Data -> Validation list topic in this forum, you could possibly create dropdown boxes to help users choose with the conversion. I'm not sure how crossformat this is though.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1