Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Need to write and edit in both French and English...
Need to write and edit in both French and English...

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tao
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Need to write and edit in both French and English...

Hello,

I'm a neophyte and downloaded the English version but I always keep writing and editing documents in both French and English. Can I have two language text editor supported and how do I do this?
Thank you to all of you who are developing this software. This is an amazing project and I will be spreading the word...and hopefully one day will be able to contribute financially...

Thank you,

Tao...
Glenner
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject:

Close NeoOffice down. Go into system preferences > International and put French to the top of the list (or English, if the default is French). Restart NeoOffice. The programme should come up in the new language and the spell checker etc should all be activated. Close down and put your default language back at the top in System Preferences > International.

Yoxi has provided excellent instructions for simple macros that allow you to switch between languages on the fly. The instruction should be in the Wiki but if you do a search for his posting in the forums and look for 23 June 2005 you will find it.
bezvardis
Keymaker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject:

To change a part of your text to another language do the following: highlight the text you want to change, then in format>character find the 'font' tab and there you will see a drop-down list for languages. Choose the one you want.

You can record this sequence as a macro at Tools>Macros>Record and then assign a keyboard shortcut to this new macro.

Alternatively, you can use spellchecker to change the language of a paragraph. If you have, say, English as a default language and write a paragraph in French, the French words should be underlined and the spellchecker, if you right-click on the word, will ask you if the word or paragraph is not by any chance in French. Then you can accept the offer. this method works quite well for me (writing in Latvian or English or Serbian) but I prefer the macro one.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Glenner wrote:
Yoxi has provided excellent instructions for simple macros that allow you to switch between languages on the fly. The instruction should be in the Wiki but if you do a search for his posting in the forums and look for 23 June 2005 you will find it.

It's not, but it will be soon Smile

http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/Activating_Dictionaries#Automation

bezvardis wrote:
Alternatively, you can use spellchecker to change the language of a paragraph. [...] this method works quite well for me

Really? I thought we had determined that trying to get the spell-checker to change the language was unreliable? Confused

Smokey

Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Really? I thought we had determined that trying to get the spell-checker to change the language was unreliable

Well, it does make mistakes. Surely one cannot trust every single suggestion the spellchecker makes but that is a common feature with spellcheckers (e.g. suggested correct versions of misspelled words). That is why for me switching languages is easier with macros although from time to time I use spellchecker as well.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject:

Ah, ok Smile

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1