Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Need to use gcc2 as compiler
Need to use gcc2 as compiler

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice/C Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:46 am    Post subject: Need to use gcc2 as compiler

Hi,

is it still necessary to use gcc2 instead of gcc3?

Thomas
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject:

Unfortunately, for now, yes. A lot of it's really that 'rock and a hard place' kind of thing...it's a bummer to use gcc2 command line since it flips gcc for all projects. But why do we use gcc2? Well...

A while back (November, I think?) Dan, Richard, and Kevin got OOo compiling under gcc3. Only problem was that it wouldn't link! There were problems linking objects that had been compiled on different optimization levels, and that static template data cruft caused link errors instead of compile errors. To make a long story short, we got an ADC tech incident donated to us and filed the appropriate issues against the compiler. I believe the fixes we need are slated for gcc 3.3, which hopefully I'll get on a CD tomorrow Smile I just hope the next dev tool upgrade can still install on 10.2.

ed
schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:59 pm    Post subject: gcc 3.3 available at Apple's developer sites

Hi,

the gcc 3.3 can be downloaded at Apples developer website. The updater has a size of 12.8MB

Thomas
schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:38 am    Post subject: FYI: gcc3 doesn't work

Hi,

using gcc 3.3 for compiling NeoOffice doesn't work. While "dmaking" I got the following error messages:

In file included from ../../unxmacxp.pro/misc/localedata_af_ZA.cxx:1592:
/neooffice/solver/641/unxmacxp.pro/inc/stl/stdio.h:22:40: pasting "/" and "stdio" does not give a valid preprocessing token
/neooffice/solver/641/unxmacxp.pro/inc/stl/stdio.h:22:40: pasting "h" and ">" does not give a valid preprocessing token
dmake: Error code 1, while making '../../unxmacxp.pro/slo/localedata_af_ZA.obj'
---* TG_SLO.MK *---

ERROR: Error 65280 occurred while making /neooffice/i18npool/source/localedata_ascii
dmake: Error code 1, while making 'build_all'
---* TG_SLO.MK *---

It seems, that the problems being found by Dan, Richard and Kevin for a while are already unsolved. Crying or Very sad

Thomas
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: FYI: gcc3 doesn't work

schlesi wrote:
Hi,

using gcc 3.3 for compiling NeoOffice doesn't work. While "dmaking" I got the following error messages:

In file included from ../../unxmacxp.pro/misc/localedata_af_ZA.cxx:1592:
/neooffice/solver/641/unxmacxp.pro/inc/stl/stdio.h:22:40: pasting "/" and "stdio" does not give a valid preprocessing token
/neooffice/solver/641/unxmacxp.pro/inc/stl/stdio.h:22:40: pasting "h" and ">" does not give a valid preprocessing token
dmake: Error code 1, while making '../../unxmacxp.pro/slo/localedata_af_ZA.obj'
---* TG_SLO.MK *---

ERROR: Error 65280 occurred while making /neooffice/i18npool/source/localedata_ascii
dmake: Error code 1, while making 'build_all'
---* TG_SLO.MK *---

It seems, that the problems being found by Dan, Richard and Kevin for a while are already unsolved. Crying or Very sad

Thomas

I haven't actually tried building OOo with GCC 3.3 yet, but digging around in the sources a little - you might want to look at the STLport patch files (eg. STLport-4.0.macosx.patch) - gcc 2.95.2 on Mac OS X requires STLport 4.0 and some special handling for parameterized Includes, which is what is apparrently failing with your build using GCC 3.3. Supposedly STLport 4.5 is used when building with GCC 3.x. Also look at the STLport Makefile.mk. You might want to verify that the correct version of STLport is being used (I would definitely do a clean build, including "configure" if switching compiler versions).

Also when using GCC 3.3 with Project Builder, you need to set some additional environment variables/compiler options to tell PB you are using GCC 3.3. Perhaps you need to do similar things when using GCC 3.3 from the command line.

I will look at it further when I get a chance.

Regards, Terry
fa
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:31 am    Post subject:

Last night I tried to start compiling OOo 1.1 with gcc3. I didn't get very far, since the version of icu that OOo 11 is using is not up-to-date. There will need to be some major patches there. Its a problem with configure/autoconf as well, which is truly horrendous.

In any case, you have to pass --enable-gcc3 to ./configure, and with a patch to configure that I've made which sets the CVER environment variable in MacosxEnv.set to "C300", conditionalize the static template data scripts. I added into 1.1 the support for dylib-link-list and conditionalized all the static template data stuff in solenv/inc/ to be only for CVER="C295". This will be required for Neo as well.

Its going to be a long road, but we'll do it.

Dan
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice/C Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1