Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Proximity to "useable" release?
Proximity to "useable" release?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice/C Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blobbo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:54 am    Post subject: Proximity to "useable" release?

Hi there,

I've been actively following this project for quite some time, but am frustrated by the lack of information for those who aren't actually developing (I would if i could).

Just a suggestion: if you could upload the occasional screenshot, that would be fantastic. If you could update the front page with a little blurb and a screenshot, it would both act as a tangible reminder of progress by developers, and a nice gesture to those who are as interested in this project as I am.

That said, how's it going? I read the developers' board, and gather that OO compiles with your neo-office build. How useable is the cocoa build so far? What can you do? What can't you do?

Thanks in advance,

-blobbo

PS: the project in reference is the Cocoa NeoOffice project.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Right now it's not in a terribly usable state, no ETA of when it'd be there. I've been hunkered down trying to get my head around the config file changes in 1.1 for multi-user support of Neo and X11. Enough changed that it broke the previous Neo FY/IG launch system (which is one of the reasons folks haven't had much luck with thomas' binaries...there are paths that are dependent on the build machine embedded in the config info).

I generally haven't put up any kind of progress reports or screenshots until we've actually made any progress. My strategy has been that no news is, well, no news Wink It's only a prototype and in an incredibly developmental stage which is why all the content thus far is mostly developer content. If anything gets to the point of usability we'll roll together another release with a silly name :p

ed
blobbo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject:

fair enough. i'll wait impatiently Smile for now, though, what are some other open source macosx options? i'm looking for osx native, not x11 or java. it doesn't have to be the whole office suite, i just really need a word replacement.
knoxer
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:11 am    Post subject:

If you don't need ALL the features of Word, just compatability with text saved in .doc format, use TextEdit (the version that comes with OS 10.3).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject:

I post tidbits every now and then at http://www.iceni.org but they are mostly development centered and sometimes rants on obscure aspects of Cocoa that I've been banging my head against.

For the moment, I've moved the event system to a Cocoa run-loop. However, there are parts that really need to be cleaned up and there are cases that I've got to track down. Dialogs don't necessarily get closed, or the window closes but OOo doesn't think it closes. Stuff like that. I think this is just a "one step back, two steps forward" type of thing at the moment.

Screenshots don't really tell much, since the graphics haven't been a focus for a while. Its mostly been the core, lower-level code like event handling and window-refresh stuff that isn't very visible.

Dan
fa@ooo
blobbo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:57 pm    Post subject:

nice to have the update.

i can't afford panther, so textedit isn't an option. wasn't there a cocoa port of abiworrd somewhere?
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject:

The main developer in charge of abiword cocoa actually quit the project...he had one of those gnu-darwin style revelations about Apple and stopped working around April 2003, IIRC.

I really don't know if anyone's been developing it, much less maintaining it...and honestly I don't know if there's been any progress on it.

ed
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:00 pm    Post subject:

There is an X11 port of AbiWord, but no cocoa port.

Text edit comes with Jaguar too, just no .doc support.

there is a coccoa word processor called mellel (or something) that i have links to at home i can post, but it costs $25.

have you tried neo/j? it works. start up is kinda slow, but it functions well. as for 'native' java is built into MacOSX, making it pretty close to being 'native'. it just doesn't look as pretty as other MacOSX programs.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice/C Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1