Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Newbie question (install)
Newbie question (install)

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bitstone

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Newbie question (install)

I'm new to Macs as well as open office. I just received a mac mini and I'm trying to install either the 1.1.2 version or the newer, beta 2.0 version. The 1.1.2 wants jaguar for X11 and I have Tiger. Version 2.0 is missing some load file (libvcl680mxp.dylib). Can someone give me some direction and heads up what I should load and where I get the necessary support software?

Thanks in advance

Bob
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie question (install)

bitstone wrote:
I'm new to Macs as well as open office. I just received a mac mini and I'm trying to install either the 1.1.2 version or the newer, beta 2.0 version. The 1.1.2 wants jaguar for X11 and I have Tiger. Version 2.0 is missing some load file (libvcl680mxp.dylib). Can someone give me some direction and heads up what I should load and where I get the necessary support software?

First, X11 is X11. For Tiger, you need to use your Tiger install disk to install X11. I've described elsewhere how this is done.
Second, it appears that you have a faulty download of OpenOffice 2.0rc3 for Mac X11 (there has not been an offical release of OpenOffice 2.0 for MacX11 due to several outstanding issues.) May I inquire where you downloaded this release?

Thank you.

James

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject:

Hi James, thanks for the post.

The mac mini that we bought does not have any Tiger install disks, just the two general install disks that has everything. AFAIK, Tiger is already installed, but the 1.1.2 OO install wants Jaguar's third install disk.

I got the 2.0 load from this site: http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/2.0.0rc3.html

I got there from just selecting 2.0 off the main openoffice.org page.

Based on what you post then, I should not be trying to install 2.0 (since there is no official release for Mac OS). So then I have to get it to work with Tiger instead of Jaguar. It does not even give me the option of using any other X11 during the install, just insists on the third install disk.

Thanks for the help.

Bob
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject:

the mac minis come with install disks not OS disks? that's frustrating. (my ibook did the same)

tiger should be installed, check your applications/utilities folder to find X11.

if it is not there, you'll have to poke around the install disks for the install file (sorry i don't have disks to help find it).

the installer is asking for the jaguar disks because it needs something, but i am pretty sure it is not X11 (that didn't come on disks until panther).

if you cannot find x11, there are two options. apple's version of x11 cannot be downloaded for tiger. you can, however, get xdarwin (http://www.xdarwin.org/) which is an X11 program which should work. i have run 1.1 under xdarwin, but i have not tried 2.0 yet. (though if the .app is like gimp.app it will only work with Apple X11)

additionally, you can download and use NeoOffice. It is openoffice.org 1.1.4 but does not require x11 to run.
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject:

FWIW, James, no newly bought mac will come with generic OS X Tiger install disks. They all ship with machine specific install CDs or DVDs.

To the OP, the X11 package will be on one of the disks that comes with your Mac, in a folder called something like "optional extras" or "additional packages" (IIRC). This is more likely to be on the install disk rather than the restore disk, but I can't remember of the top of my head.

You will be able to install it by double clicking the X11.pkg file (it may be called something else, but it will be called X11 something!).

However, I would forget about installing X11 and either version of OpenOffice.org anyway. Just download NeoOffice from this website and install that. It is based on OpenOffice.org 1.1.4 or 1.1.5 depending on the version you use (NeoOffice/J 1.1 = OpenOffice.org 1.1.4, NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha = OpenOffice.org 1.1.5).

It behaves much more like a Mac app and is less of a PITA to use than the X11 versions.

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1