· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - MacIntel
MacIntel

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: MacIntel

Ok folks, the 'Cat is out of the Bag'. Jobs made the announcement this morning.

What now? Are we going to work on Universal Binaries or will we introduce an Intel version of NeoOffice?

Also, I plan on upgrading my Intel based system when/if MacIntel becomes available for platforms other than those produced by Apple.

James
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: MacIntel

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
Ok folks, the 'Cat is out of the Bag'. Jobs made the announcement this morning.

Yeah, and the new styling on the website is as obnoxious as Windows feels. But they claim pretty serious stats and it seems like Yonah-powered MacBook is only available in 15.4" version, not 12" or 17".. And everyone expected the iBooks to go first.

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
What now? Are we going to work on Universal Binaries or will we introduce an Intel version of NeoOffice?

Well, Patrick said it several times: UB makes Neo quite a bit larger. I guess it depends more on download bandwith and compiler time than anything else..

I actually suspect that finding testers on those new system will be a bit tough at first...

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
Also, I plan on upgrading my Intel based system when/if MacIntel becomes available for platforms other than those produced by Apple.

Well, I met several hard core geeks who had the test version installed on their PC hardware several days after it came out.. While Apple may wait a while, an enterprising mind with no tolerance for legal finesse could have one now.

Of course, I wouldn't be seen *advocating* that solution.. I am mostly worried that there will be quite a bit of turmoil..

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: MacIntel

jjmckenzie51 wrote:

We won't be doing Universal Binaries as the current 130 MB download would nearly double in size.

Instead, it is a much more efficient use of expensive bandwidth to have separate PowerPC and Mactel installers.

In anticipation of that, I put code in the Beta release installers and patches that prevent you from installing on the wrong type of machine.

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: MacIntel

pluby wrote:
jjmckenzie51 wrote:

We won't be doing Universal Binaries as the current 130 MB download would nearly double in size.

I'm working with Pavel on this. It may not be double the size, but pretty close to it.

pluby wrote:

Instead, it is a much more efficient use of expensive bandwidth to have separate PowerPC and Mactel installers.

I agree. I used to run a program that ran on both Windows and OS/2 with a universal installer. The program's designers abandoned this after a while and build OS/2 and Windows only versions.

pluby wrote:

In anticipation of that, I put code in the Beta release installers and patches that prevent you from installing on the wrong type of machine.

As soon as I get my hands on a legal copy of MacOSX for the Intel platform, I will try this and see what happens.

James
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject:

If anything, all that it would do is to perhaps force my hand into whether I target 2.0 or 1.2 with x86 gcc3.3. The fact that the machines are shipping by the end of the week doesn't exactly leave the lead time I had hoped for :/

The whole universal binary argument vs. not has been gone over elsewhere and doesn't make sense for a download that's already this large and already gets so many complaints about being "bloated" on the hard drive.

Good thing it's easy to run lipo on installed universal binaries and strip out that unnecessary x86 part (or ppc as the case may be). For most all users, universal binaries are not needed unless they're making an external startup disk that they want to dual-boot ppc and x86 machines. How many people with a new x86 iMac are going to run iChat in the Rosetta emulator? And, why?

ed
fabrizio venerandi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject:

btw I do not remember the old macintel thread: is now neooffice working via rosetta on macintel computer? the next goal of neooffice's staff is the x86 version of Oo 1.0 or 2.0?

thank you

f.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject:

fabrizio venerandi wrote:
btw I do not remember the old macintel thread: is now neooffice working via rosetta on macintel computer? the next goal of neooffice's staff is the x86 version of Oo 1.0 or 2.0?

Ed posted a summary of NeoOffice and Mactel in http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2230 yesterday.

Patrick
fabrizio venerandi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject:

thank you.
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
fabrizio venerandi wrote:

Ed posted a summary of NeoOffice and Mactel in http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2230 yesterday.

Definately recommend anyone using NeoOffice that anticipates buying a MacIntel based system read Eds post before buying it.

Also, the OpenOffice code will not run on a MacIntel either. Pavel is heading up the effort to port the X11 version to MacIntel. And it is for the same reason that NeoOffice will not run under Rosetta.

James
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
If anything, all that it would do is to perhaps force my hand into whether I target 2.0 or 1.2 with x86 gcc3.3. The fact that the machines are shipping by the end of the week doesn't exactly leave the lead time I had hoped for :/

At one point you had mentioned the possibility to doing something for 1.x with gcc3.4 for Intel in order to work around some of the bugs you ran in to with gcc4.x. Is that still an option--and a quicker-to-Intel-success one--or is it just another rabbit to chase that would distract us?

I suppose there's an outside possibility of you and Patrick having some sort of Neo 2.0 Alpha for PPC (and presumably mostly working on Intel) by June if all effort was focused there....

Smokey

(I'm going to move this to Development, since it seems more appropriate there--and since the sticky already covers the main issues for everyone else in Support.)

The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject:

FWIW, Neo has a potential short term solution by doing a 1.2 variant off of a hacked gcc3.3...but...

gcc3 is not supported by Apple for x86 based macs, only gcc4. OOo 1.x/Neo 1.x won't function with gcc4...I spent quite a bit of time trying to make that happen (2 months), so...OOo 1.x/Neo 1.x can't function with gcc 4.x.

For better or for worse, if it can't compile with gcc4, as far as Mac on Intel is concerned the application is up shit creek, and Apple has been cozy with this restriction since last July, so it ain't gonna be changing.

It might be possible to build Neo 1.x on an unsupported gcc3 x86 build, but right now it's just not worth my time. It's a much better payoff to invest the resources of Patrick & myself in 2.0 rather than the large effort of a stopgap measure that may only last half a year at most.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject:

Please also be aware that when I say "worth my time" it's taking into account that the number of users who are absolutely dependent on Mac on Intel compatibility right now can be counted on one hand (or two, depending on how quickly Apple ships).

I highly doubt that Mac on Intel platforms will constitute a major installed user base for some time. Unfortunately, I suspect Apple will direct all criticism for lack of support for such users onto application developers rather than Apple itself, as will the majority of end users.

My stock response for anyone who dares to level such criticism at free software, or even a commercial entity,...I give you this...

You are a "first adopter" of an unproven technology. Just like the first PowerPC Macintosh customers, you should fully expect to endure the birthing pains of a new platform, and you should fully expect to pay money for the privilege of being one of the first on a new architecture. The Apple Computer, Inc. marketing drones make you think it costs developers nothing to support the new iMacs and MacBooks...but it doesn't. For a lot of us it requires lots of re-engineering, lots of investment, and (especially for marketing departments) a strong solid rethink of why we continue to offer Mac support at all given the large overhead. In some cases, that overhead is too large to overcome.

I spent 4-6 hrs. per day for two months of my life (without pay) trying to get Neo 1.x working on Mac on Intel given the restrictions from Apple. It didn't work since Apple doesn't make the tools we require available for Mac on Intel computers. You got a problem? Don't complain to me. Go b**ch to Apple. They certainly didn't listen to me, so don't be surprised if they dont' listen to you.

You will have no FrameMaker that can run on Mac on Intel systems. You will have no PageMaker. All Classic apps are gone. How long will it be until all your XTensions are Intel native. Please, ignore the marketing hype. Don't underestimate how much it costs developers to support Mac on Intel, and please don't be upset if companies charge you to get an Intel/Universal version of their applications.

Be even more patient with those of us who work for nothing.

Even Apple themselves could not deliver their own Pro applications on time. Final Cut et. al won't ship Universal until March. Even when they ship, Apple's going to charge $50 for each customer to get the upgraded versions that can run on Mac on Intel machines.

I ask that before you come here and regurgitate the Apple marketing hype, take the time to carefully examine what it is your'e smoking and consider if it's laced.

ed <-- avoids the brown acid
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject:

I absolutely agree with every point that Ed made. One very big dependency that many of the previous posts have forgotten about is funding. Just because Apple released a new product does not change that fact that Ed and I must continue to beg for enough money to do the development. While I sense that many people think any Apple announcement is happy news, the extra work to produce a Mactel version of NeoOffice and then support it (Mactel doubles the number of OS versions that we will be supporting) made me seriously think of throwing in the towel last summer.

Don't ever forget that if the donations stop, so does most of the development. Wink

Patrick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:23 am    Post subject: Aqua Ooo 2.0

That's ok. I'm sure the Aqua version of OOo 2.0 will be out in a few weeks with Mactel support.
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Aqua Ooo 2.0

Patrick and Ed have done a good job at releasing stable software at a good pace. Asking them to stop, change direction because there is a shiny thing out from Apple is not reasonable.

Besides, i am a PPC Mac guy for now, and I'm selfish =)

Anonymous wrote:
That's ok. I'm sure the Aqua version of OOo 2.0 will be out in a few weeks with Mactel support.

few weeks? tomorrow at the latest. Twisted Evil
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4