Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - MacIntel
MacIntel

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject:

ed said:

"I doubt it has anything to do with that announcemnet icon_smile.gif While we all love to be conspiracy theorists, there's only so far these things can be pushed..."

Th decision to move to Intel was annonced a month earlier in June '05.

jj said:

"It really would not be in the best interests, for now, for Apple to crush OpenOffice.org and NeoOffice development..."

Crush is a "harsh" word, of course, but I disagree that that is not part of the transition to Intel. It is in Steve's best interest to keep billy and M$ happy and providing Word (and Excel and PPT) on Mac as this kills 2 birds wth 1 stone. Potential switchers to Mac #1 FAQ is "Will Word run on a Mac?" It is also the show stopper for many offices/businesses to go Mac. Steve has long since gone from the corporate monopolistic slayer and realizing he lost that battle, to joining the club so to speak. Sadly, he has absolutely no incentive to help other products anymore since the move to Intel.
Mox
Operator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: off-topic

Guest wrote:
ed said:
"I doubt it has anything to do with that announcemnet icon_smile.gif While we all love to be conspiracy theorists, there's only so far these things can be pushed..."
Th decision to move to Intel was annonced a month earlier in June '05.
Crush is a "harsh" word, of course, but I disagree that that is not part of the transition to Intel. It is in Steve's best interest to keep billy and M$ happy and providing Word (and Excel and PPT) on Mac as this kills 2 birds wth 1 stone. Potential switchers to Mac #1 FAQ is "Will Word run on a Mac?" It is also the show stopper for many offices/businesses to go Mac. Steve has long since gone from the corporate monopolistic slayer and realizing he lost that battle, to joining the club so to speak. Sadly, he has absolutely no incentive to help other products anymore since the move to Intel.

I think you are guessing things too much. It is not enough to quote other people and then make your assumptions/guesses. it does NOT contribute to the DEVELOPMENT of NeoOffice. And this topic is about development.

It is true that Apple's switch to Intel makes things harder... but not impossible. It is also hard work, when a new, changed Mac OS X release comes (now 10.4 Tiger, soon 10.5...).

But it makes no sense to leave everything as they are. New versions and progress is good in the end. Even though it is hard for projects that have only few developers, like NeoOffice.

With the help of Pavel and others on the OOo side, I think also NeoOffice has bright future. Sure, it takes a long time, but in the meantime Neo 1.2 is enough. The Mac Intel people just have to wait as long as it is necessary, or buy Apple Pages, or MS Office, if they can not wait.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject:

Let me be perfectly clear on NeoOfiice development then. Apple will not lift a finger toward the development of NeoOffice. Is that clear enough? No guessing about it. Eventually, they all feed at the trough... I want NeoOffice to develop and succeed and best wishes to the team, but Apple simply doesn't care.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Guest wrote:
Let me be perfectly clear on NeoOfiice development then. Apple will not lift a finger toward the development of NeoOffice. Is that clear enough? No guessing about it. Eventually, they all feed at the trough... I want NeoOffice to develop and succeed and best wishes to the team, but Apple simply doesn't care.

I agree with you 100%. In fact, given that we are average more than 100K in downloads per month, I would be very surprised if NeoOffice does not take away a small slice of Apple's AppleWorks, Pages, and/or Keynote revenues.

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Guest wrote:

I was actually surprised that Apple is providing the OpenOffice.org team a system to assist in porting OpenOffice to the Mac. What I think the effort is towards is to have MacIntel applications ready. Unfortunately, Uncle Steve blew all of this out of the water last week. Yes, Pavel is making great headway towards a MacIntel or Universal Binary version of OpenOffice. However, it still requires X11. His work, will utimately assist NeoOffice in producing a MacIntel version, but this may be a long way off (we are talking a matter of months.)

In any case, you are correct that Apple does have in its best interests to support Uncle Bill the Third. However, this may lead to Apple being nothing more than another PC builder and that may lead to the downfall of Apple (think IBM.)

James
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject:

ADC is another revenue stream for apple. They won't deny giving memberships or systems to anyone who can pay. If they denied resources to competing projects, not only would it be a black eye that could scare away third party developers but also might expose Apple to legal liability. It's no surprise they provide resources to people who can pay.

Me, on the other hand, think we had better uses for dontaions then to pay for a leased machine that will only provide a year of use. If your resources are limited, you need to make them last as long as possible.

ed
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
ADC is another revenue stream for apple. ...
It's no surprise they provide resources to people who can pay.

Me, on the other hand, think we had better uses for dontaions then to pay for a leased machine that will only provide a year of use. If your resources are limited, you need to make them last as long as possible.

ed

I was quite surprised that Apple has offered to trade the Intel development systems for the new Intel iMac. It's a nice offer on their part - but not something that could be counted on 9 months ago.

It's nice to "dream" that Apple would/could help NeoOffice. The reality is Apple will do what's best for Apple. I fully support the NO efforts and have faith that the story is not yet complete. Rolling Eyes

Philip ( Hope for the best, Prepare for the Worst Wink )
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:
OPENSTEP wrote:
ADC is another revenue stream for apple. ...
It's no surprise they provide resources to people who can pay.

ed

I was quite surprised that Apple has offered to trade the Intel development systems for the new Intel iMac. It's a nice offer on their part - but not something that could be counted on 9 months ago.

You can never depend on what a company is going/not going to do. It is very nice of Apple to allow trade-ins of the Intel based development systems for 'real' Intel based MacIntosh systems.

LemonAid wrote:

It's nice to "dream" that Apple would/could help NeoOffice. The reality is Apple will do what's best for Apple. I fully support the NO efforts and have faith that the story is not yet complete. Rolling Eyes

I really expect some real changes in the way that Apple works and this has been a long time coming. One should remember that Apple, IBM and Microsoft have a long history. One company has dropped their production of products and handed this off to another company. I expect more fallout through the coming year. Who is next? Only time will tell. I know that the NeoOffice project will continue no matter what happens, maybe its direction will have to change (hopefully it will be a smooth change with lots of advance notice.)

In any case, a few more bugs are being processed. (Munch, munch.)

James
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject:

Thanks James, munch munch!

Philip ( It's not just a life, It's an ADVENTURE! Wink )
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject:

Note: While I believe Apple is allowing trade-ins, it doesn't change the terms that the DTS contract is still a lease. The machines get to go back by the end of 2006 to Apple.

Expect some cheap refurbs on sale come next January.

ed
Christopher Marks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject:

It's my understanding that those with DTK's can trade it in for a new iMac, but they get to keep the iMac.
val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject:

http://developer.apple.com/dtkexchange/faq.html
Quote:
5. Will I own the iMac received via the DTK Exchange Program?
Yes. The Hardware Purchase Agreement Terms and Conditions apply to the iMac received via the DTK Exchange Program.
Mox
Operator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: OpenOffice.org 2.0 runs on Intel Mac

Ok, now some real news for a change: OpenOffice.org 2.0 has been successfully compiled and is able to run on Intel Macs!. It's not completely crash-free or bug-free, of course.

So it seems, we should have the initial Intel-Mac -compatible source code for OpenOffice.org 2.0 in OOo CVS within a few weeks or a month Smile

(via Planet OpenOffice.org)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject:

This is very good news.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
This is very good news.

Yes, very much so. And Kudos to Florian, Eric, Daniel and Stephan!

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4