Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Load url - getting rid of old stuff?
Load url - getting rid of old stuff?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Load url - getting rid of old stuff?

I did not find any hint, how to remove items from the "load url" field in the function bar. (Hoping this is correctly said - as I translate all from German) - is there any possibility to get rid of old, no longer existing documents from this field?

Regards,
T.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Hmm, this question seems familiar, but I don't seem to recall the answer. I *think* someone found which of the config/prefs files contains that info....

Smokey

sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject:

After searching a while through my User-Library, the records seem to be stored in the file: Library/NeoOfficeJ-1.1/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/Common.xcu but as well in library/preferences/NeoOffice-1.x/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/Common.xcu. Can I delete one of these without danger? Or both? And: Is there no way of shortening the history automatically to lets say the last 10 entrys? (Some 30 or 40 gives no ease of use)

So somebody has a hint? What can I do?

Regards
T.
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject:

Orgleser wrote:
After searching a while through my User-Library, the records seem to be stored in the file: Library/NeoOfficeJ-1.1/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/Common.xcu but as well in library/preferences/NeoOffice-1.x/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/Common.xcu. Can I delete one of these without danger? Or both? And: Is there no way of shortening the history automatically to lets say the last 10 entrys? (Some 30 or 40 gives no ease of use)

So somebody has a hint? What can I do?

I don't know if this file gets rebuilt if you delete it so here are the steps that I would take:

1. Open a terminal session from the Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal application
2. Change directories to the Library/preferences/NeoOffice-1.x/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office directory (use the cd command)
3. Copy the Common.xcu file to Common.bak (cp Common.xcu Common.bak)
4. Delete the Common.xcu file (rm Common.xcu)
5. Try to start NeoOffice. If it fails, you will have to copy back the Common.xcu file.
The following steps provide advice and have not been tried (yet) on how to remove entries from the Common.xcu file.
1. Open the MacIntosh HD item. This should give a set of folders.
2. Click on the User's name on the left side.
3. Click on the Library folder
4. Click on the Preferences folder.
(continue to navigate until you get the Office folder open)
5. Click on the Common.xcu file. This will open the TextEdit program.
6. Navigate down to the History item.
7. Remove everything from the "Filter" line ABOVE the entry you want to remove to but not including the next "Filter" line.
8. Do step 7 for each entry you want to remove.
9. Save the file.
Start/restart NeoOffice. The entries should not be there anymore.

James

Regards
T.[/quote]
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject:

Thank you, James, I'll try and post results here. Btw - would this be a wishable feature for OOO and/or Neo? In my opinion, it is annoying to get lists longer and longer even if they are not really needed. The history of opened items is - as far as I can see - useful for the "normal user" (at least for me) only for the last few (maybe 10 or 30) entries. Why let it grow 'til HD is full? Wink I would propose to give users a possibility to say how many items shall be saved in this list - if possible. Where should this be posted?

T.
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject:

Deleting the Common.xcu from users Library/preferences ... as described by James before in this thread has the wished effect. The history of opened documents is gone, and Neo rewrites the Common.xcu after restart and seems to run fine (I'll watch a few days for new unusual behaviour).

Searching single items to delete within Common.xcu seems very uncomfortable, I did not try.

T.
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Orgleser wrote:
Thank you, James, I'll try and post results here. Btw - would this be a wishable feature for OOO and/or Neo?

OpenOffice. This file is just copied from the one that is created there.

Orgleser wrote:
In my opinion, it is annoying to get lists longer and longer even if they are not really needed. The history of opened items is - as far as I can see - useful for the "normal user" (at least for me) only for the last few (maybe 10 or 30) entries. Why let it grow 'til HD is full? Wink I would propose to give users a possibility to say how many items shall be saved in this list - if possible. Where should this be posted?

I agree with your evaluation of this problem. I think that the list should be limited to the last 15 items and that items should be deletible. Barring this, the URL/History item should be clearable from the Tools menu at a minimum.

James
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject:

Added to OOo's IssueZilla as Issue 60620.
T.
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:44 am    Post subject:

Orgleser wrote:
Added to OOo's IssueZilla as Issue 60620.
T.

Thank you. I had 44 items in my history, and trimmed it down to about 12. This was a long and tedious process.

James
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject:

Just deleting common.xcu brings everything to zero, as you (James) stated in former post in this thread. Until now neo didn't seem to be affected, runs perfectly after I deleted common.xcu (I mostly use writer). But I don't know what is kept in common.xcu more than history of opened documents - so James advice to keep a copy seems wise.
T.
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Orgleser wrote:
Just deleting common.xcu brings everything to zero, as you (James) stated in former post in this thread. Until now neo didn't seem to be affected, runs perfectly after I deleted common.xcu (I mostly use writer). But I don't know what is kept in common.xcu more than history of opened documents - so James advice to keep a copy seems wise.
T.

Also, this is an OpenOffice issue, not strictly NeoOffice. If anyone has suggestions for improvement, please update the OpenOffice Issue at the IssueZilla. I, for one, would like to see a delete button to delete the item for the history (which is what you access through the pull down list) as well as a method to timeout items in that list much like what FireFox does. Fixing this problem is outside of the scope of NeoOffice.

James
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1