· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice 1.2 final coming soon
NeoOffice 1.2 final coming soon

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: NeoOffice 1.2 final coming soon

FYI. Since I just put out Neo 1.2 Beta "Patch-4" and the number of bugs being reported is very low, I am planning on releasing NeoOffice 1.2 final in the first half of February, 2006.

Very few changes are needed. However, the following change needs to be made to the NeoOffice CD label:

- Replace "1.2 Beta" with "1.2".

Thanks,

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice 1.2 final coming soon

pluby wrote:
FYI. Since I just put out Neo 1.2 Beta "Patch-4" and the number of bugs being reported is very low, I am planning on releasing NeoOffice 1.2 final in the first half of February, 2006.

Very few changes are needed. However, the following change needs to be made to the NeoOffice CD label:

- Replace "1.2 Beta" with "1.2".

Is beta patch 4 an release candidate then?

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice 1.2 final coming soon

jjmckenzie51 wrote:

Yes. But if any big bugs surface, all release a new patch and base the final off of that.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice 1.2 final coming soon

pluby wrote:
jjmckenzie51 wrote:

Yes. But if any big bugs surface, all release a new patch and base the final off of that.

Patrick

Compared to the 1.1 release cycle, this one went relatively quickly and without serious regressions. I hope the maturing code will make life smoother for the NeoOffice 2.0 transition as well Smile.

jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice 1.2 final coming soon

ovvldc wrote:
pluby wrote:
jjmckenzie51 wrote:

Patrick

Compared to the 1.1 release cycle, this one went relatively quickly and without serious regressions. I hope the maturing code will make life smoother for the NeoOffice 2.0 transition as well Smile.

Thank you. It took quite a bit of testing and a great deal of work on Patrick's part, but it's almost there.

NeoOffice 2.0 (aka OpenOffice 2.0) will take more work to incorporate due to the changes between OpenOffice 1.x and 2.0.

James
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Don't forget that the primary reason that this was smoother than other transitions was the fact that donations allowed Patrick to focus on doing the 1.2 upgrade as a full-time job. While, of course, he could have most likely earned more in the private sector, funding specifically directed to 1.2 development from an anonymous donor as well as the stream of continual donations allowed him the time to focus specifically on NeoOffice.

Having the ability to concentrate on software as a main job instead of a "side-thought" definitely improves quality. There's only so focused a volunteer can be after they've worked a long 8 hr. day (not to mention if they've had meetings to deal with too...). "Maturing product" bs aside, don't underestimate the the improved quality that comes with a focused, skilled developer.

Monkeys at typewriters have yet to write shakespeare. Wikipedia proves it.

ed
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:

Monkeys at typewriters have yet to write shakespeare. Wikipedia proves it.

ed

THAT'S WHY!! i was wondering why my book wasn't finished yet... because i don't have enough monkeys helping me write it...

-j
(oh and neo rocks!)
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject:

Which reminds me, how much of a PR splash do we want to try and do for 1.2 Final?

Smokey

Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject:

It seems that I have found a blocker for releasing 1.2 Final Embarassed
http://bugzilla.neooffice.org/bug.php?op=show&bugid=1293
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject:

val1984 wrote:
It seems that I have found a blocker for releasing 1.2 Final Embarassed
http://bugzilla.neooffice.org/bug.php?op=show&bugid=1293

Known issue in OpenOffice and it is not a 'show stopper'.

In other words, full speed ahead Cpt'n.

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject:

So the preparation details for the NeoOffice 1.2 release are almost complete. One change that I'm going to make is to list the minimum memory required as 384 MB instead of 256 MB. The reason is that Mac OS X 10.4 lists its minimum memory at 256 MB and, realistically Mac OS X 10.3 needs almost the same. So, listing our minimum as the same as the OS minimum is a bit unrealistic as loading Java and the NeoOffice code does require at least 100 MB of memory over and above what the OS uses.

I'll update the NeoOffice pages at www.planamesa.com. Do any other pages need to be updated?

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I'll update the NeoOffice pages at www.planamesa.com. Do any other pages need to be updated?

I think just the listings, and I'll do those when we push the updates.

<sigh> gotta start thinking about the changes to highlight

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:

Better printing. Better speed. Less memory. Accessibility features. OpenDocument reading. Doesn't work on 10.2 or Mactel.

That's it from the top of my hat...

jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
sardisson wrote:

Better printing.

Definately much better than NeoOffice 1.1

ovvldc wrote:
Better speed. Less memory.

Change to Java 1.4.2 from Java 1.3.1. The road was not easy but the bumps were small and Patrick and I did not run into any real 'potholes' that caused our systems to crash.

ovvldc wrote:
Accessibility features. OpenDocument reading.

I think these came from either OpenOffice 1.1.5 or the adoption of Java 1.4.2.

ovvldc wrote:
Doesn't work on 10.2 or Mactel.

Neither does OpenOffice 1.1.5 (nor OpenOffice 2.0, at least not yet for MacTel). This is because it was decided by the OpenOffice.org folks to move the codebase up to Mac OS X 10.3.5 as a minimum. OpenOffice.org 1.1.x will NOT be adapted to run on MacTel nor will it run with Rosetta. Efforts are underway to port OpenOffice.org Mac OS X to MacTel and Universal Binary format (that brings its own set of headaches.)

James
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
ovvldc wrote:
Accessibility features. OpenDocument reading.

I think these came from either OpenOffice 1.1.5 or the adoption of Java 1.4.2.

ovvldc wrote:
Doesn't work on 10.2 or Mactel.

Neither does OpenOffice 1.1.5 (nor OpenOffice 2.0, at least not yet for MacTel). This is because it was decided by the OpenOffice.org folks to move the codebase up to Mac OS X 10.3.5 as a minimum.

Yes, James, I know. I also read every post on dev@porting and mac@porting so I am still in the loop even if I do not post nearly as often as you Wink.

But this is stuff that the end users visiting VersionTracker should hear about. Never mind where it came from, these are (IMHO) important improvements and notes.

Best wishes,
Oscar

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3