· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Understanding the source
Understanding the source

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Understanding the source

Is there any documentation anywhere as to where in the sources various things are implemented?

In particular, I was hoping to take a look at how the NeoOffice word processor text view is implemented, because looking at other people's examples is much easier than trying to find anything in Apple's docs.

thanks,
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Well, a lot of the question is somewhat loaded...

The entire point of Cocoa is that you should be taking a framework view. As an application developer, you never should be asking how exactly it is how something is done, but rather using what it is the thing does to build your own application.

OOo (and Neo, by extension) tries to implement an abstraction for "how it is done" and then reimplement that "how it is done" exactly on other platforms. As it turns out this is easier than it seems.

If you're trying to understand academically how one implements such a platform-agnostic framework, Neo may provide an interesting test case. If it's for understanding the real-world failings of such an idealistic approach, you may experience equivalent luck (from an academic perspective).

The documentation is scattered across projects, in either case, but it may be best to start with UDK/the UNO Development Kit as a broad starting point for learning the application architecture.

ed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject:

Let me be more clear then.

I'm trying to write a text editor that uses vi keys, and what I want to do is write my own view to allow me to do this. However, I also want to be able to support proper Mac text input methods, and NeoOffice seems to do that.

So I'd like to see what's going on in the code there, in case it'll help me out. But, I checked out the NeoOffice sources (but not the OpenOffice sources), and I can't make out what all that stuff is.

I'm just looking for hints here as to how to get certain things done in Cocoa. I'm not looking for "cross-platform" anything.

thanks,
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1