Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - OpenOffice.org 2.0 Final!
OpenOffice.org 2.0 Final!

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: OpenOffice.org 2.0 Final!

2.0 final has been released for German and English. There is also a 2.0.1 release for French. Downloads can be found here:

http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/2.0.x.html
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject:

2.0.1 is out in different langiages.

For example it's possible to download german, franch, italian

Mirror I use has that versions!

german http://na.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/openoffice/localized/de/2.0.1/OOo_2.0.1_MacOSX_install_de.dmg

french
http://na.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/openoffice/localized/fr/2.0.1/OOo_2.0.1_MacOSX_install_fr.dmg

italian
http://na.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/openoffice/localized/it/2.0.1/OOo_2.0.1_MacOSX_install_it.dmg

macedonian
http://na.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/openoffice/localized/mk/2.0.1/OpenOffice.org-2.0.1_mk.dmg

and according to this http://qa.openoffice.org/localized/status.html other are arriving.

Valter
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject:

cool, thanks for the links!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: OpenOffice.org 2.0 Final!

jakeOSX wrote:
2.0 final has been released for German and English. There is also a 2.0.1 release for French. Downloads can be found here:

http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/2.0.x.html

So did RC5 become the final or were there further bug fixes?
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject:

AFAIK all 2.0.1 versions are corresponding to 2.0.1rc5 (I did QA test for the italian version).
I think that we are waiting for people that want to test other langauges, but since everyone that I checked has the same behaviour I suppose that all rc5 could be release as stable.
The rc5 version for almost every language could be downloaded from good-day.net (ftp://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/MacOSX/2.0.1rc5)

So, let's try your language!!!

Valter
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: have fun with OOo 2.01rc5 builds but read this first...

Remember you need X11 installed to run OOo 2.0 on your Mac!

Just so that nobody misses it, here it is again:

Code to check for its presence will not be included until the next version. If you do not know what X11 is at this point, you might want to consider an alternative like NeoOffice, unless you really need some new function in 2.0 or are prepared to venture beyond the familiar Aqua environment.

Also some minor functionality is not yet working like Java applets in documents and sending a document to an e-mail message.[/b]

jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: have fun with OOo 2.01rc5 builds but read this first...

ovvldc wrote:

Just so that nobody misses it, here it is again:

Code to check for its presence will not be included until the next version.

You mean the next subrelease. This functionality is being worked on by a small team of folks and will be tested soon.

ovvldc wrote:

If you do not know what X11 is at this point, you might want to consider an alternative like NeoOffice, unless you really need some new function in 2.0 or are prepared to venture beyond the familiar Aqua environment.

Just to update folks. OpenOffice.org runs in an X11 environment (for now) on Mac OS X. This interface is somewhat like what you would encounter if you use (or have used) a windowed UNIX environment. Menus do not integrate with the top menu bar but appear in each individual window. The current file picker for NeoOffice is an example of X11 functionality. This will require that you learn to use the window's menus. This will also require that you install an X11 windowing client onto your Mac. This environment ships on the Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) DVD as an optional install. This environment is available from Apple for Mac OS X 10.2/3 (Jaguar/Panther).

ovvldc wrote:
Also some minor functionality is not yet working like Java applets in documents and sending a document to an e-mail message.

There are open issues at OpenOffice.org's IssueZilla for both of these. This level of functionality will not be available in the next sub-release (2.0.2) but may be available in the sub-release after it (2.0.3).

Neither of these items were available/functional in the base code for NeoOffice 1.2 Beta, OpenOffice.org 1.1.5.

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: have fun with OOo 2.01rc5 builds but read this first...

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
ovvldc wrote:
Also some minor functionality is not yet working like Java applets in documents and sending a document to an e-mail message.

There are open issues at OpenOffice.org's IssueZilla for both of these. This level of functionality will not be available in the next sub-release (2.0.2) but may be available in the sub-release after it (2.0.3).

Neither of these items were available/functional in the base code for NeoOffice 1.2 Beta, OpenOffice.org 1.1.5.

Actually, this will probably never work in OOo X11 due to the fact that all X11 windows are being displayed by a different application (i.e. the X11 application) and not by the OOo application. With X11, the OOo application sends messages to the X11 application to create a window, draw text, etc. This is how X11 works.

Java, on the other hand, expects to draw to native (i.e. Cocoa) windows. Since the X11 application provides no means for providing a valid reference to its native windows and, even if it did, such windows cannot be used by other applications, there is no native window for Java or other native plugins to draw to.

This is a technical limitation of using X11 and there is no known workaround.

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: have fun with OOo 2.01rc5 builds but read this first...

pluby wrote:
jjmckenzie51 wrote:
ovvldc wrote:

Actually, this will probably never work in OOo X11 due to the fact that all X11 windows are being displayed by a different application (i.e. the X11 application) and not by the OOo application. With X11, the OOo application sends messages to the X11 application to create a window, draw text, etc. This is how X11 works.

James has a quizical look on his face (sort of one that your dog gives you when it is totally confused.)

We are talking about displaying a Java Applet, correct? I know that M$ Office can do the Send -> Mail thing (of course it is a Cocoa/Carbon application.) It should be technically possible to send a text document (be it .sxw or .odt) as a mail attachment and fire up either Mail or Thunderbird (whatever your default Mail application is) from either inside a Java window, X11 or Carbon/Cocoa application. Making it work is another matter.

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: have fun with OOo 2.01rc5 builds but read this first...

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
We are talking about displaying a Java Applet, correct? I know that M$ Office can do the Send -> Mail thing (of course it is a Cocoa/Carbon application.) It should be technically possible to send a text document (be it .sxw or .odt) as a mail attachment and fire up either Mail or Thunderbird (whatever your default Mail application is) from either inside a Java window, X11 or Carbon/Cocoa application. Making it work is another matter.

Telling another application to open a file and telling it to give you a handle to its native window are two very, very different things.

Let me put it this way: the OOo X11 process displays absolutely no windows. Hence, there is no native window pointer to give to Java or native plugins to draw to.

What do you mean OOo X11 displays absolutely no windows? X11 is a client-server technology so any calls to create an X11 window or draw to an X11 window are only messages sent over a socket connection to the X11 server application. The X11 server application interprets those messages and then creates a window or draws to a window that it has created.

In other words, the X11 server application, not the OOo X11 process is doing all the window creation and drawing so OOo X11 has no native windows. Java and native plug-ins on Mac OS X have no awareness of X11. They expect that they be given a native window created by the OOo process. There is absolutely no way to tell Java or native plugins to "draw to the native window that the X11 server application has created for me".

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: have fun with OOo 2.01rc5 builds but read this first...

pluby wrote:
jjmckenzie51 wrote:

Telling another application to open a file and telling it to give you a handle to its native window are two very, very different things.

Absolutely! I've known about this since I did programming for Windows 3.1 (many, many, many years ago.)

[quote="pluby"]
Let me put it this way: the OOo X11 process displays absolutely no windows. Hence, there is no native window pointer to give to Java or native plugins to draw to.
(Lengthy explanation of how X11 works deleted.)

True enough what you said. However, the Linux/UNIX version of OpenOffice.org and the Windows(TM) version does allow sending of a file attachment through the system mailer through a sequence of events. First the file is saved to a temp directory. Second, the mail program is called (be it Mail, Thunderbird, Outlook Express, whatyoucall mailer) and given the file name as a parameter for the message. The user just sees a Mail window open. This is not happening for Mac OS X.

As far as displaying a Java Applet? I really don't care for this functionality. Why? Because there are better programs to do this and it is a 'hangover' from when OpenOffice.org (or better StarOffice) was trying to be a 'Swiss Army Knife' program and was used to display HTML pages.

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: have fun with OOo 2.01rc5 builds but read this first...

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
As far as displaying a Java Applet? I really don't care for this functionality. Why? Because there are better programs to do this and it is a 'hangover' from when OpenOffice.org (or better StarOffice) was trying to be a 'Swiss Army Knife' program and was used to display HTML pages.

I understand now. I misunderstood your original statement to apply to both of the issues that were raised. Rereading your statement, it appears that it was implied that only the second issue (the mail attachment) might be fixed.

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: have fun with OOo 2.01rc5 builds but read this first...

pluby wrote:
jjmckenzie51 wrote:

I understand now. I misunderstood your original statement to apply to both of the issues that were raised. Rereading your statement, it appears that it was implied that only the second issue (the mail attachment) might be fixed.

Correct. And as I stated, I don't care if the first one is ever fixed for Mac OS X (it works for Linux) (Java Applet display from a htm(l) document) as I have better tools to do this with.

James
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1