Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Need help with graphics in 'Impress'
Need help with graphics in 'Impress'

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulH
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Need help with graphics in 'Impress'

I'm brand new to Mac world -- please forgive cluelessness.
I want to create PowerPoint-compatible slides with NeoOffice; need library of simple artwork -- something similar to Microsoft's Clipart.
NeoOffice has only a very small gallery, and no search capability that I can find.
Openclipart.org offers free library, but primarily in .svg format, which is not supported by NeoOffice.
Can you help me find NeoOffice-compatible library with search capability?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with graphics in 'Impress'

PaulH wrote:
I'm brand new to Mac world -- please forgive cluelessness.
I want to create PowerPoint-compatible slides with NeoOffice; need library

Openclipart.org offers free library, but primarily in .svg format, which is not supported by NeoOffice.

Can you help me find NeoOffice-compatible library with search capability?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Paul:

I could open a .sgv file with NeoOffice 1.2 Beta Patch 3. I will try again with Impress and see if I can insert the file into a Impress presentation.

Update: I could not insert a .svg file into a Presentation.

I will do more testing tomorrow with the baseline OpenOffice.org 1.1.5 and see if it is possible there.

Update 2: I cannot insert .svg files into a Presentation with either OpenOffice.org 1.1.5 or OpenOffice.org 2.0.1rc5. I will open an Issue with OpenOffice to see if this is possible or in the planning stages.

James
PaulH
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject:

James,
Thanx for continuing to test.
i'll switch to OpenOffice if it makes sense.
Paul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: inkscape

Inkscape can open and edit .svg graphics. It can also export them as .png files, which can then be included in NeoOffice presentations, etc.

http://www.inkscape.org/
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Clipart is one of the big holes in "real people" use of OpenOffice.org and its derivatives, including NeoOffice. The fact that OOo can't import .svg graphics (it can, however, export them Razz) cuts out the big free collection, OpenClipart.org, which is very sad Sad

There are assorted small collections of OOo-compatible clipart around, and it would be a good thing to add a list of them to the wiki. There's a few here, and if you want maps, there's Cart'OOo [fr].

If you have any existing clipart in PICT, TIFF, EPS, PNG, WMF, JPEG or GIF formats, they're all useable, of course.

Smokey

Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject:

PaulH wrote:
James,
Paul

for the most part, neooffice and openoffice.org are the same code. at this point the only major differences lie in the 1.1.5 features vs the 2.0 features. (for functionality of the office suite, intergration with the OS is another matter).

-j
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
PaulH wrote:
James,
Paul

for the most part, neooffice and openoffice.org are the same code. at this point the only major differences lie in the 1.1.5 features vs the 2.0 features. (for functionality of the office suite, intergration with the OS is another matter).

This statement I will agree with. Impress is unable to import a .svg file, however the Writer is. This is a shortcoming of OpenOffice that exists in the latest OpenOffice.org 2 milestone (read weekly) build. I will consider adding an Issue to the IssueZilla to point this out.

James
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1