Hi
Sorry for my english
but I have a problem with neooffice
I have a file than i save in neoffice
and I don't know why néo save it in .swx
and when I try to read it there is nothing
all my pages were invisibles
It's one day work
I try everything to read it but I have the bad impression that my files are lost for life.
Help me please
Sad

G5 MAC OS TIGER Neo office new beta version
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: .swx

carlotta wrote:
Hi
Sorry for my english
but I have a problem with neooffice
I have a file than i save in neoffice
and I don't know why néo save it in .swx

.sxw is the standard file for a text document in NeoOffice (and Open
Office.org 1.x). It is actually a compressed folder with several files
in that folder.

carlotta wrote:

and when I try to read it there is nothing
all my pages were invisibles

Did you try to read the file with NeoOffice or another program?

carlotta wrote:

It's one day work
I try everything to read it but I have the bad impression that my files are lost for life.

Maybe not. I would like for you to do the following:

Click on the MacIntosh HD item (it should be in the upper right hand
corner of your Desktop). Navigate to where you saved the .sxw file.
Cntl + Click on the file. This will open a list of things to do with the file. Click on the Get Info item. Post the size of the file here.

Now for some advice. If you want to save the file in a different format, use the Save As... item which is accessable from the File menu item (the lefthand most menu.) You can save as text (but you will loose your specialized formatting), various Microsoft Office formats, several StarOffice/OpenOffice formats and of course the OpenOffice 1.x format.

carlotta wrote:

G5 MAC OS TIGER Neo office new beta version

Nice computer!

James
carlotta
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: .swx

Hi james and many thanxx for your very speed help

Did you try to read the file with NeoOffice or another program?

Yes with Neo office and aperçu

Click on the MacIntosh HD item (it should be in the upper right hand
corner of your Desktop). Navigate to where you saved the .sxw file.
Cntl + Click on the file. This will open a list of things to do with the file. Click on the Get Info item. Post the size of the file here.

Ok That's 4ko

G5 MAC OS TIGER Neo office new beta version[/quote]

Nice computer!
thanxx again

James[/quote]
Guesty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject:

Unfortunately, you most likely were confused by the first save box that Neo puts up on the screen for you when you went to save the file. That box is the box also used by OpenOffice (OO-o.org) that Neo is based on. It "warns" you tha some fomatting of whatever file format you chose to save the file, you were working on, in (i.e. Windows 97, 2000, XP=.doc file extension) may lose some formatting and instead if you would rather save it in NeoOffic+OO_o.org format. As James expalined above, that's .swi for a word processing docu,emt. Now only those with Noe or OO_o.org.

THis is a huge impediment to facilitate people using Neo and probably can't be changed but should be made very clear to first time users.

Here's where you may have really been confused. After you try to continue to close out of your working document or try to Quit Neo altogether, you will see a second save box pop up on screen that will ask, "Some formatting will be lost, do you still want to save?" Well, logic says NO (and that may even be the default choice save box button) so people think, "I've already saved once" and will choose NO. Bad choice, now you just threw away your whole effort on that document. Again, this SAVE DOCUMENT PROCEDURE should be POINTED TO immediately after installing Neo and BEFORE a new user uses it.

As a general precaution it is usually suggested that one save their document manually every so often/many minutes (you can turn in on in the Neo prefs (Tools? menu) even I think). If you were doing that and/or you understood the Neo/OO_o save document procedure, my apologies and disregard above but if this was the case you would not have gone through this learning curve before now unfortuneatly. This is also a common "turn off" from trying to leave the darkside (M$ Office).
carlotta
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject:

ok
the problem
it's me
not neo
I loose
but thanks for your help
and thanks to you and the Neo users
Guesty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject:

Got distracted, meant to say above at end of 1st paragraph the following:

Now only those with Neo (or Neo/J for older Neo versions) or OO_o.org (that runs under X11 on Mac OS x) can open the .swx file. But since you have Neo, obviously, I think that you just never actually saved the file properly. Hope I'm wrong however and that you can recover it. Confused about the 'invisible" part of your statement but that may mean it's simply not there (unsaved) even though you think you did save it. Rambling now.
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject:

ehm ...
you could try to open a blank page in neo, and click onto the "load url" popup button (the build in help of neo leads you there if my english is too bad as well to help you - I would say the button is the triangle you see beneath the blank field in the upper left corner of the neo window). If you have saved something, the document should be listed there.
T.
carlotta
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject:

One thousand thanks but no
my file is empty
Adios
Carlotta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject:

carly,

Hope you don't give up on Neo because of your initial bad experience. Like anything else, once you go through the learning curve, it's a very workable program.
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject:

carlotta wrote:
One thousand thanks but no
my file is empty

Does the file appear in the URL window or not? If it does, that means the file was created but nothing was written to it once it was created.

I want you to try one thing for me. This is part of the testing suite and may help us troubleshoot why Neo is not working on your system.

Go to File -> New -> Text document.

Type in the equivelent in your language of "This is a test message."

Click on File -> Save As and note the directory where you are trying to save your file. It should be Documents (or your language's equivilent.) If it is NOT, change directories by using the navigation icons to move to that directory.

Save the file as Test1 (that is Test number one.) Do not change the extension.

Close Neo completely.

Open Neo and go to File -> Open Document and open the file you just saved. If there is NOTHING in the file please open a Bugzilla and save the file to the BugZilla entry. Post a reply here with the Bugzilla number so that we can look at the file.

James
Yes, we are here to help you.
carlotta
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject:

"carly,

Hope you don't give up on Neo because of your initial bad experience. Like anything else, once you go through the learning curve, it's a very workable program."

Of course not
never give up
actually I learn
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1