· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - the inevitable install problem
the inevitable install problem

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris c

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: the inevitable install problem

So... I go and get the GM (BTW the Romanian mirror is FAST)...and just as always the install anywhere installer hangs at about 80-90% thru the status bar thing at the bottom of the splash...

however it installs just fine on the backup partition! Same version exactly of the OS to!

I am stymied... going nuts... makey no sensy....

So anyway... I do a variation of what I always do when I don't have time to make a OSX installer of the thing... I copy it over to the boot partition and thought I would edit .sversionrc to say 1.0.3 where it needs to (or logically where I thought it would).

NADA...change it back for the 1.0,1..... nada on it also...

I am beginning to think that the boot partition is cursed.....
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: the inevitable install problem

chris c wrote:
So... I go and get the GM (BTW the Romanian mirror is FAST)...and just as always the install anywhere installer hangs at about 80-90% thru the status bar thing at the bottom of the splash...

How much disk space do you have on the boot partition before running the Installer? Suggest launching the Console application, and seeing if anything relevant is sent to the console.log.

I believe other people have reported similar problems with previous OOo betas, and it may have something to do with the version of Java you have installed.

More information about your configuration would be helpful.

Regards, Terry
chris c

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:57 am    Post subject:

config... 10.2.6 java 1.3.1 and the 1.4.1 that got pushed with software update 512 RAM B&W 450..HD has 4 gigs of empty space. Console out put is nothing spectacular but seems to indicate it is not mounting something. I would run it again but I got a little ticked and hucked the installer... and install neoJ and although slow on the start up and a little lagging in responsiveness is doing fine for me at the moment.

I don't know if it is the Java or not... the back up partition that has never had a problem on the install hmmm come to think of it I don't remember if it has the new java or not I don't boot into it very often and when I did the install of OO I quit the software update before reading it*rats*.

I will check in the morning and let you know
chris c

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:45 am    Post subject:

okay I checked the other partition and it to is running the same java as the main boot one so I am a bit stymied.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject:

If it's hanging all the way at the end, it's most likely some weird Java problem. We did have this reported last time with our IA based installers and thought it was due to Java 1.3.1 not having proper handling of gif files.

Even if 1.4.1 is installed on the system, the default launcher will use 1.3.1 since the bundle doesn't have 1.4.1 flags. You can try launching the installer from the command line in 1.4.1...that may be successful. I don't remember the classpath off the top of my head, but you need to put both the MacOSX folder of the dimage on the path and also the Installer.zip file within the bundle. Exact instructions are somewhere in ooodocs, probably in an ancient thread.

ed
chris c

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:20 am    Post subject:

I will have to look for it then...

That is the oddest thing about it... the back up has the exact same java...so does the laptop (other then a couple app differences I try to keep all three synced up but the os and everything is totally the same).

And it is only the boot partition that gives me the problems! Which is maddening in the extreme! There has to be something hashed under the hood. Think I am going to just tear it down and do a reinstall.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:44 am    Post subject:

Hrm...

How much free space do you have on the partition? Our installer may need a gig of swap or so. Really frustrating, yes, but 's because it's so durned large. I think it's one of the largest installers built on top of IA, at least for Mac, mostly because OOo is, for better or for worse, competing in that class of really large Mac apps.

ed
chris c

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject:

uhhh... 4.3 GIGs.... and 512 megs of physical ram... the back up partition that it installs just fine on only had 1.1 gigs of free space when I installed on it... the laptop had 2.85 gigs.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:19 pm    Post subject:

sounds like it should be enough...comprable to the tibook that's my personal testbed. I wish I could figure out what's going wrong Sad I thought the problem was the jpeg crash, but apparently it's a bit more deep then that.

ed
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Installer hang

chris c wrote:
That is the oddest thing about it... the back up has the exact same java...so does the laptop (other then a couple app differences I try to keep all three synced up but the os and everything is totally the same).

And it is only the boot partition that gives me the problems! Which is maddening in the extreme! There has to be something hashed under the hood. Think I am going to just tear it down and do a reinstall.

Just so we are clear, you always boot from the "boot partition" and install to either the "boot partition" (unsuccessful) or the "backup partition" (successful), right?

Do you know if the Installer gets as far as the Font conversion (before/during/after)? When I was short on swap space on my installations, the Installer hung during the Font conversion.

What if anything have you customized on your "boot partition" - like have you relocated any standard directories? Have you tried using Disk Utility to check the permissions on the "boot partition"? - permission problems are a leading cause of problems for users (not just OOo). When you do install OOo, is it just the standard install of OOo itself, or do you (need to) custom install other components such as dlcompat, freetype, ghostscript, fondu?

Regards, Terry
chris c

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Terry in answer to your question (and sorry for the delay but I have not been able to get on Trinity for a while), I have two hardrives and each has a boot partition... the backup is for maintenence and a backup incase something evil happens.

So my boot partition is the primary on the master harddrive and the backup is the secondary on the slave.

And permissions were fine on the last attempt at installing I had just done a permission repair via disk utility. When the installer hangs it is at the splash screen for the install the crawler at the bottom is about 90% done so it does not even get to the actual INSTALL just the splash as it loads the installer.

So what I did was finally got ticked enough to tear it down... scrubbed the drive after backing up some data and did a clean install of panther to play around with it and the install of 00 went fine.

After I was done playing with panther (older machine very slow and the dp I have is not so good), I scrubbed it again and clean installed 10.2 again.

No problems on the 00 install at that point either.

The only customizing I did was altering my boot image to be the happy mac again and a diffrent splash pdf for the boot screen. Used macboot and visage for those.

But I think that I may be having a machine problem... the machine seems to be moving really really slow and my video is kind of choppy so I think that maybe the heat is getting to the machine (its been 90+ with high humidity), or maybe something else is going on. When I have some time I am going to get out my brothers diagnostic gear and go over to see if the hardware is going. I did lose the original SCSI drive that came with it.. can't even see it using disk utility or norton.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't chalk it up to a machine or the wonderful heat in some areas of the US just yet...the spot where you're experiencing this apparent lockup is near identical to past lockups with the installer.

Are there any entries in the console complaining about JPEG/GIF translation? Previously that would lock version 1.3.1 VMs and crash 1.4.1 VMs. Examine this thread on OOoDocs. It was referring to an InstallAnywhere 4.5 built installer, IIRC, and starting with Final Beta 1031 (?) I switched to using InstallAnywhere 5 OS X Edition which seemed to solve some of these issues.

ed
chris c

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Openstep...

checked the console (heck since I have had such problems with IA in the past I start the console before I even click the icon for IA and watch the fun ensue..). Nope on the JPEG issue nothing.... the last console output is the blurb letting you know that the .dmg has mounted and seeing the installer...

I am at an impasse on it. I know it is not the heat and not the hardware pers se (since the backup has no problems and it is the same hardware excepting which drive it is going on), but the machine has been acting mighty strange the last couple of days mighty weird... kernal panics random freezes... lock ups flat out crashes!

But the problem with the installer was before the current issues.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1