· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NO launching browser for patches
NO launching browser for patches

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Mac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: NO launching browser for patches

While I appreciate being notified of new patches and the like, it'd be really nice if NO dind't launch my browser to tell me. It lengthens launch time and interferes with getting my work done. Is there some way to turn that off? I can't find anything related in the preferences.

Thanks!
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: NO launching browser for patches

Tim Mac wrote:
While I appreciate being notified of new patches and the like, it'd be really nice if NO dind't launch my browser to tell me. It lengthens launch time and interferes with getting my work done. Is there some way to turn that off? I can't find anything related in the preferences.

Thanks!

I leave it to others to say it there is some way to turn this off for the Alpha & Beta versions. These versions are undergoing development and testing and it often necessary to download the newest patches to correct problems.

If you don't want to use the testing version (with patch notices) maybe it would be better to use NeoOffice/J 1.1 as this was the last "stable final release". Either version works well. Some people are uncomfortable upgrading to the Alpha/Beta test version for daily work. Your usage may vary.

Philip (living on the edge with NeoOffice 1.2 Beta Wink )
kcavaliere
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Browser launching

I've had NeoOffice launch a browser window to download patches that are already installed. The only way I've found to stop this action is to reinstall the existing patch. This seems to be more of a timed function than an actual version check.

There has to be a more elegant solution...
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Browser launching

kcavaliere wrote:
I've had NeoOffice launch a browser window to download patches that are already installed. The only way I've found to stop this action is to reinstall the existing patch. This seems to be more of a timed function than an actual version check.

There has to be a more elegant solution...

NeoOffice does do a version check. However, when I updated the version file on the planamesa server yesterday for Patch-5, I noticed that I had been making a typo for several of the previous versions that would always cause the patch check to never match. This has been corrected so the patch checking should now work correctly.

Patrick
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject:

Thanks Patrick. I had wondered but didn't like to ask!
kcavaliere
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Patches...

Amazing. I simply put it down to a browser/cookie quirk and let it go. With all the time and work that is devoted to the next version of NeoOffice it's wonderful that the little things get any attention at all.
Tim Mac

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject:

Oh, don't get me wrong. I *really* like NO and use it daily, and the 1.2 beta works great. Whatever problems that patches are fixing are not problems that I have actually run into in terms of functioning. It's extremely stable and capable for beta software, and is probably the most useful beta software I've ever had.

It's just that other apps I use that do version checking just pop up a window saying "there is a new version available" rather than launching my browser. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd prefer that behavior to launching my browser- especially as I am off of the Internet most of the time when using NO. That's why I was hoping there was a preference somewhere that I had overlooked.

Thanks for all the excellent work.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject:

FWIW, NeoOffice 1.2 final will be released next week and it will have patch checking disabled. In general, I only enable for test releases. So, when you see the next patch checking page popup and the newest available patch is NeoOffice-1.2 "Patch-0" (sometime next week), installing will upgrade your installation to the NeoOffice 1.2 final release and, at the same time, patch checking will be turned off.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Tim Mac wrote:
It's just that other apps I use that do version checking just pop up a window saying "there is a new version available" rather than launching my browser.

To do that would require significant reworking of large parts of the guts of the OOo code, and we just don't have the resources to do that Sad

Smokey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Tim Mac wrote:
It's just that other apps I use that do version checking just pop up a window saying "there is a new version available" rather than launching my browser.

To do that would require significant reworking of large parts of the guts of the OOo code, and we just don't have the resources to do that Sad

Smokey

Well- that puts *that* issue to rest! There are two quirks I don't like about NO, and both are from the OO.o side of things. Nothing the NO team can do about that! Thanks very much again!
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1