View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: well underway

Quote:

To: mac@porting.openoffice.org
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 11:33:39 +0100
Subject: Complete X11 port

No particular problem found with PpowerPC, it's maybe more interesting to write some words about Mac Intel, in particular abour stability status: after three days of tests, we found only one bug not repeatable with PowerPC machine. The bug is simple to describe, but not easy to solve : bridges has problems with UNO. Exactly, just one type of call makes instant crashes. =>I'll create an issue about that, and investigate.

Excepted that, I can say the Mac Intel version was as stable as the PowerPC one !

Seems like the basis for a dual platform Neo 2.0 is coming along nicely Smile. Thanks, Eric, Eric, Pavel, Tino, James, Mox, Maho, Joerg and Florian (and anyone I forgot)!

Quote:

Other important points : some (approximative) statistics with Mac users opinions :

- 9/10 asked for native interface, without menus in the window [ LONG TIME issue ]
- 9/10 complained about install (no Readme, X11 customizations..)
- 4/5 asked to not use X11 anymore [ LONG TYIME issue ]
- 1/2 asked for use Apple native fonts [ short time issue using fondu ]
- 1/3 complains about use X11 (and often refuse to use OopenOffice.org because they refuse to install X11)
- 1/4 asked for native printing box [ issue status undefined ]
- 1/5 asked for aqua colors (some refuse to install OOo because of the colors). [ short time issue with aquacolors ]

Seems like Patrick and Ed have solved the majority of Apple users' issues with OOo already. Annoying dancing banana

Seriously, this is not meant as a put-down to Eric and his work. I have and still wish them all the best. It is just an indication of appreciation for what has already been achieved with NeoOffice.

Best wishes,
Oscar

Glenner
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Uhhh, what a little stirrer! I think you are right, but it may not quite be understood that way.
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject:

at work we refer to it as 're-inventing the wheel.'
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
at work we refer to it as 're-inventing the wheel.'

True, though Eric and friends are trying to make a wheel that is just a bit more round than Patrick's. So far, it is still too chunky to roll, but that is their goal. I'd prefer not to debate the merits, as this will only dissolve into another flame war.

jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: well underway

ovvldc wrote:
Quote:

To: mac@porting.openoffice.org
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 11:33:39 +0100
Subject: Complete X11 port

No particular problem found with PpowerPC, it's maybe more interesting to write some words about Mac Intel, in particular abour stability status: after three days of tests, we found only one bug not repeatable with PowerPC machine. The bug is simple to describe, but not easy to solve : bridges has problems with UNO. Exactly, just one type of call makes instant crashes. =>I'll create an issue about that, and investigate.

Excepted that, I can say the Mac Intel version was as stable as the PowerPC one !

the
Seems like the basis for a dual platform Neo 2.0 is coming along nicely Smile. Thanks, Eric, Eric, Pavel, Tino, James, Mox, Maho, Joerg and Florian (and anyone I forgot)!

Dan? We must not forget that without his assistance, there may not be such a thing as a Mac OS X port. Patrick and Ed (and the rest of the NeoOffice team) have made a fantastic Aqua version, whereas Eric B, Eric H, Pavel, Tino are working on the X11. Maho received a 'free' MacTel system and his efforts are now based towards the MacTel. Eric B. and Florian are the driving force behind the new Aqua port. It appears that Dan has decided, wisely, to stay in the background.

In any case, I will be working on removing warnings from the existing OpenOffice.org code.

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: well underway

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
Dan? We must not forget that without his assistance, there may not be such a thing as a Mac OS X port....

James,

I think you are a bit confused about Dan's current involvement in OOo. For the last two or more years, Dan has not been working on any Mac OS X OOo version. During that time, he has been an engineer at RedHat devoted full time to working on RedHat's Linux distribution of OOo. He is no longer working on RedHat's OOo distribution because he is now working on a different project at RedHat.

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: well underway

pluby wrote:
jjmckenzie51 wrote:
Dan? We must not forget that without his assistance, there may not be such a thing as a Mac OS X port....

James,

I think you are a bit confused about Dan's current involvement in OOo. For the last two or more years, Dan has not been working on any Mac OS X OOo version. During that time, he has been an engineer at RedHat devoted full time to working on RedHat's Linux distribution of OOo. He is no longer working on RedHat's OOo distribution because he is now working on a different project at RedHat.

Patrick:

I am speaking from a historical point of view. I know that Dan is no longer involved with the Mac OS X, or any other version of OpenOffice.org at this time. What I said was "Without Dan's assistance, there would be no OpenOffice.org for Mac OS X or that the path to such a port would be much more difficult, not that he is involved with any current efforts on OpenOffice.org nor any future versions." Or at least that is what I should have said. Many of us picked up pieces that were left over and are working on them now. This is what I call a legacy. You have to admit that Dan is one of the key players in the Mac OS X port of OpenOffice.org. You are THE key player in the development of NeoOffice. There is a great difference between the two. Without Ed and you, there is no NeoOffice. Without Dan, OpenOffice.org's Mac OS X porting team carried on and kept on building (sometimes in the wrong direction, but that is to be expected.)

James
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject:

i am glad the mactel code is coming along. it would be great if OO.o beat MS to the punchline...

now we all need to band together and work on the 'jacob wants an intel powerbook' project. it is gonna be hard, but i know we can do it. =)
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Seriously, folk, it may be time for a reality check.

Mactel is a non-issue. I have no problem letting other folk deal with it for OOo 2.0 and have fun with other things. Why?

The majority of Mac users are using PowerPC and will be for some time in the future. Right now Mactel users are single digits, and they will be for some time. They definitely will be in single digits until Adobe & Microsoft & well, Apple ship their own native apps.

There was a point where I too was "balls to the wall" on supporting it, but really, it's a handful of real users. And, of course, any Mactel customer has the option of purchasing MS Office and running in Rosetta just fine (yes, it is seamless, based on market research). If you already know Neo/OOo isn't fully compatible but are already spending $1k+ on a new computer, dropping a few more on MS Office (or pirating it for free...) is hopefully not that much of a drag Smile

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1