Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - super slow 1.2
super slow 1.2

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsegel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: super slow 1.2

hello, i just updated my laptop's neooffice to 1.2b, installed the newest patch (though it still says 1.2 beta) and man it's super slow. i removed all neooffice 1.x prefs in ~/Library and ~/Preferences.
it takes about 5 minutes to launch and another 5 to open a document.
and now once a document was opened, i tried a simple copy, open new and paste and cpu went skyrocketing to 100% for a few minutes while it thought about it! wow!
what's going on?

i looked at the troubleshooting page here, no mention of slowdowns, but, i do have a java issue apprently:

Silver:~ jes$ /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Commands/java -classpath . Test
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Libraries/libawt.jnilib:
at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1586)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1503)
at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:788)
at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:834)
at sun.security.action.LoadLibraryAction.run(LoadLibraryAction.java:50)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at sun.awt.NativeLibLoader.loadLibraries(NativeLibLoader.java:3Cool
at sun.awt.DebugHelper.<clinit>(DebugHelper.java:29)
at java.awt.Component.<clinit>(Component.java:506)
at Test.main(Test.java:7)

though i have no idea what this means. i'm suspicious of this "java" you speak so highly of...

ok, this is a powerbook 1.5ghz w/ 2gb memory. os x 10.4.4
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject:

From your output, I suspect that something is corrupted within your Java 1.4.2 files. Have you made any manual changes to any of the files or directories with the /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework? I know many Mac developers messed with this directory on their machines when Apple released the Developer Preview releases of Java 1.5.

Also, what files are listed in when you execute the following command in a terminal?

Code:
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Home/lib/ext

Lastly, does a ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist exist on your machine? If so, what's in it?

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Bad news: your machine's Java files are corrupted. I looked at Apple's Java code where the Java error is happening and Java is complaining because one of its core files - the /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Libraries/libawt.jnilib file - does not exist.

Unfortunately, I don't know how such corruption happened as you need to be the root user or use the sudo command to change any of Apple's preinstalled Java files (maybe you installed Java 1.5 and Apple's installer scrambled your Java 1.4.2 installation?), but I think the only way that Java 1.4.2 is going to work for any GUI Java applications (like NeoOffice) is if you either rerun your Mac OS X installer and have it reinstall any missing files or get a tar file of the entire /Volumes/Tiger/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework folder from another 10.4.4 machine and untar it over you existing /Volumes/Tiger/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework folder.

Patrick
jsegel
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: java etc.

ls /System/ etc etc /1.4.2/Home/lib/ext/
lists
apple_provider.jar
ldapsec.jar
localedata.jar
sunjce_provider.jar

.MacOSX/environment.plist has two pairs
QDTEXT_ANTIALIASING (set to 1)
and
QDTEXT_MINSIZE (set to 12)
jsegel
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Bad news: your machine's Java files are corrupted.

hmm.
pluby wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't know how such corruption happened as you need to be the root user or use the sudo command to change any of Apple's preinstalled Java files (maybe you installed Java 1.5 and Apple's installer scrambled your Java 1.4.2 installation?), but I think the only way that Java 1.4.2 is going to work for any GUI Java applications (like NeoOffice) is if you either rerun your Mac OS X installer and have it reinstall any missing files or get a tar file of the entire /Volumes/Tiger/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework folder from another 10.4.4 machine and untar it over you existing /Volumes/Tiger/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework folder.

ok. yes i did install 1.5. it is possible for me to copy all this from another machine with the same system... but... same installs have been done, yet neooffice works there. also, on this slow-working machine, it takes an inordinate time to start, but once it does it appears that it actually does work. so this diagnosis/treatment seems a little excessive!
?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject:

jsegel wrote:
ok. yes i did install 1.5. it is possible for me to copy all this from another machine with the same system... but... same installs have been done, yet neooffice works there. also, on this slow-working machine, it takes an inordinate time to start, but once it does it appears that it actually does work. so this diagnosis/treatment seems a little excessive!
?

It may seem excessive, but the error message that you get when running the Test.java program is a bit alarming. Of course, now that I think about it, maybe your shell has some sort of weird setting for your DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable.

So, let's ignore the Test.java case for the moment. If Java really isn't corrupted, then one common cause of slow startup is that your machine has a huge number of active fonts. Unfortunately, the OpenOffice.org code that NeoOffice is based wants to know about every font that you have at startup whereas most Mac OS X applications only load a font when you actually use it. As a result, NeoOffice is forced to load every single active font that you have enabled! Some fonts can use quite a bit of memory so you can see how this could affect performance.

You can test if this is the cause by quitting NeoOffice and opening the /Applications/Font Book application. If you have more than about 125 fonts or so (i.e. the number bundled with Mac OS X), try disabling a number of fonts and then launching NeoOffice. If startup time improves, then this is the problem and the Test.java errors were a red herring.

Patrick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject:

I would try this quick & dirty troublshooting tip Pat suggested in another thread to solve launching problems:

"...2. Move each of the following folders (if they exist) so that they will be cleanly recreated the next time that you run Neo:
~/Library/NeoOfficeJ-1.1
~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-1.x
3. Run Neo. "

1.2 vs. 1.1 in your case. Maybe it will speed up your launch time. You can always put them back/swap out if it doesn't.
MosGuy
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject:

Once you get the java issue sorted if it's still sluggish I agree the best way to increase the speed is disable fonts. I had 800 odd mostly copied from my PC I cut it back to half that which helped. I got it reduced down to 235 fonts and startup is very quick now Smile.

Also depending on the amount of RAM, adjusting the amount to Neo can boost performance too. It's something I learned on OpenOffice on my PC. On earlier releases there was a max limit I just noticed it's been cured. The setting is in Preferences under the memory section.

Rick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject:

MosGuy wrote:
Also depending on the amount of RAM, adjusting the amount to Neo can boost performance too. It's something I learned on OpenOffice on my PC. On earlier releases there was a max limit I just noticed it's been cured. The setting is in Preferences under the memory section.

How should one think when adjusting RAM? Give a rule of thumb or something, if you could.

This might be very useful to novices with speed issues Smile.

thanks,
Oscar

MosGuy
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:

How should one think when adjusting RAM? Give a rule of thumb or something, if you could.

This might be very useful to novices with speed issues Smile.

thanks,
Oscar

A lot depends how many others apps you normally have open at once etc. But typically I set it 1/3 to 1/2 total system memory. On my PC running OpenOffice 2, I set it to 256 MB (512 MB total). On my Powerbook I have it set currently to 256 (768 MB total), I'm not sure how high you can increase it with NeoOffice I'll try increasing it later. You shouldn't try and go too crazy increasing it as the OS and other apps need memory too. To start with I'd go with 1/4-1/3 total memory as a base point and see how the system runs. Then increase or decrease it from there as needed to find a good balance.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1