· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - getting the non-X11 source code
getting the non-X11 source code

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: getting the non-X11 source code

http://porting.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=mac&msgNo=233

instructions on building OO.o without the X11 requirement.

THIS BUILD DOES NOT FUNCTION.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: getting the non-X11 source code

jakeOSX wrote:
http://porting.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=mac&msgNo=233

instructions on building OO.o without the X11 requirement.

THIS BUILD DOES NOT FUNCTION.

Unsurprisingly... It is a work in progress, if I recall correctly.

Mox
Operator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: The development furthers

Pavel Janik — CWS aquavcl01 compiles
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject:

Maybe I am totally wrong here and maybe my question sounds silly. But does all of this mean, there actually are three ways of getting OOo to the Mac? One using X11 - wich may be necessary to have a codebasis working on Mac wich is near enough to the UNIX/LINUX World to have a broad testing basis
Second the one that already is working natively, stable and very good - Neo.
Third that might come up with that first more or less sucessful build - Aqua?

I may ask because I just did not get all of history of this process: Why are there two "native looking and feeling" approaches? What does prevent people on both "native" approaches to work together on one line of work (or: do they and I just did not understand?)?
I know, this questions may rise some difficulties, I did realize what happened to Neo's donations in the second half of last year. I do not want to offend anyone - but I just do not understand everything behind this development.

If my question is wrong or crazy - please just tell me. But if there are answers and things I should or could know, I would be grateful if someone told me.

Again: this does not intend to offend anyone. Neither Patrick or Ed, whose work I appreciate very much, nor Pavel Janik or others whom I do not know.
Regards, T.
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Orgleser wrote:
Maybe I am totally wrong here and maybe my question sounds silly. But does all of this mean, there actually are three ways of getting OOo to the Mac? One using X11 - wich may be necessary to have a codebasis working on Mac wich is near enough to the UNIX/LINUX World to have a broad testing basis.

The X11 build is the basis for both the Aqua port and NeoOffice and will be here for some time to come.

Orgleser wrote:

Second the one that already is working natively, stable and very good - Neo.

However it is based on an older version of OpenOffice, 1.1. Yes, there are efforts to bring it up to OpenOffice.org 2.0, but this will take time and (yes) money.

Orgleser wrote:

Third that might come up with that first more or less sucessful build - Aqua?

Yes, there is a third effort, lead by Eric Bachard and team of folks in Europe. This effort enjoys support of Sun and the OpenOffice.org team and is supposed to be a Cocoa effort to eliminate the need for X11 in its entirety (you first build an X11 version of OpenOffice with NeoOffice and then replace certain parts with Carbon/Cocoa code to make the Aqua interface.)

Orgleser wrote:

I may ask because I just did not get all of history of this process: Why are there two "native looking and feeling" approaches? What does prevent people on both "native" approaches to work together on one line of work (or: do they and I just did not understand?)?
I know, this questions may rise some difficulties, I did realize what happened to Neo's donations in the second half of last year. I do not want to offend anyone - but I just do not understand everything behind this development.

I will state this simply: Politics. There is a group that is not happy with the progress that Patrick/Ed/Dan/Smokey/et. al. have made with NeoOffice and struck out on their own to create an Aqua port of OpenOffice.org 2.0. This effort has made progress, as stated by Pavel Janik in his blog. To be certain, I have also created an Aqua build and it did appear to work, but was very CPU intensive and did not bring up a window on my PBG4. However, I do not run the latest/greatest system and this build may have eventually brought up a window.

Orgleser wrote:

If my question is wrong or crazy - please just tell me. But if there are answers and things I should or could know, I would be grateful if someone told me.

Again: this does not intend to offend anyone. Neither Patrick or Ed, whose work I appreciate very much, nor Pavel Janik or others whom I do not know.

No your question is not wrong or crazy. It is just a matter of politics. Yes, there should be one and only one effort to Aquaize OpenOffice. Some folks feel that the only effort should be the oldest, NeoOffice; others feel that NeoOffice should be abandoned and the only effort should be the one that Eric Bachard is leading should be it. I feel that there is much to be gained by the two groups working in concert, sharing their ideas to build the best of breed product (and yes, I do work in software/hardware testing). This may mean the end of NeoOffice (as we know it) or that the Aqua project will meet a dead-end and not be able to move on any further. In any case, I will support both efforts to the best of my ability.

Oh, and there is one real twist in the middle that may bring all of this to a screeching halt: The MacTel. It cannot run any native Java code, on which OpenOffice relies heavily.

So, I sit on the sidelines watching with great anticipation and helping where I can.

James

Regards, T.[/quote]
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Thank you for answering, James. As for me, neither time nor knowledge do allow supporting both approaches more actively. I ll stay with Neo because it works good for me, and if I see sth I ll say it here in the forums (oh, and with more or less sucess try to answer questions in Neos support forum Very Happy).

May I ask some more questions? As far as I saw from Patick Lubys postings, GPL is one of the Points, he insists very much on. Does the "aqua"-Approach share this? Or could they share? (Some posts seem to imply, they could not?) Is this a point of discussion between the approaches?

Which other significant points of disconsent are there?

Regards, T.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1