Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - First Public Release (Wikipedia issues)
First Public Release (Wikipedia issues)

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barefootguru
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: First Public Release (Wikipedia issues)

Hi people,

Wikipedia is missing the date of the first public release (non-beta) of NeoOffice.

Can someone either post the answer here or edit the Wikipedia entry?

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_office_suites>

Thanks.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject:

The first "non-alpha/beta", non-0.x release, NeoOffice/J 1.1, was let loose on June 22, 2005.

There are some other issues with our Wikipedia article, its translations, and associated media; any Wikipedians are encouraged to correct them...or I'll eventually get around to it. There are a number of out-of-date screenshots (of 1.1, mostly, but some of 1.2 Alpha/Beta posing as 1.2 final) and incorrect copyright notes on logos/wordmarks associated with these articles.

(The name "NeoOffice" is a registered trademark of Ed--NeoOffice®--see the Trademark Usage Guidelines; the ship logo, depending on the particular version and format, is copyright Dan Coyle [foxcorner] and me, or just Dan [as is the splashscreen image and about box graphic, aka the "header" in the wiki].)

Agent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject:

Thanks. I've done the Comparison page, but the other issues are getting beyond me (time and knowledge).

Here's the page for anybody keen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NeoOffice

I assume sardisson's also talking about the Commons pictures at:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/NeoOffice

—they made need moving from Commons to Wikipedia depending on the licensing.

Cheers
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject:

barefootguru wrote:
Thanks. I've done the Comparison page, but the other issues are getting beyond me (time and knowledge).

Just a single question: shouldn't the maintainers be Planamesa Software? I am not sure, but I seem to recall something to this extent from the press release. Not that I mind Pat and Ed being mentioned by name.

Best wishes and thanks,
Oscar

jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
barefootguru wrote:

Just a single question: shouldn't the maintainers be Planamesa Software? I am not sure, but I seem to recall something to this extent from the press release. Not that I mind Pat and Ed being mentioned by name.

Planmesa Software IS Patrick and Ed's commercial enterprise (or maybe it's just Patrick's). In any case they could be used interchangibly and maybe the name should be Planamesa software and not Patrick. This puts a layer of safety between Patrick and his public.

James
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Planamesa Software is an independent commerical faction of whom one of the owners is Patrick Luby. I am not affiliated in any direct fashion with Planamesa Software, Inc. This is a good thing.

By running things through Planamesa, both Patrick and myself are offered an additional layer of legal protection. For example, assume you're a sleazebag. You're doing your company's yearly budget in a Neo spreadsheet and, for whatever reason, it miscalculates. You donated money to help the effort. Well, you donated money to Planamesa. Regardless of the implicit "as is" licensing terms, all the crafty lawyers could try to sue would be Planamesa. What can you win in court?

All of the Neo donations taken by Planamesa.

What's offlimits?

The personal retirement fund I've been saving up from money I've earned from my real job these last five years (and other such things).

America is a sue-happy society. Even if donations are good natured, it's still prudent to be proactive and cover your own a.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1