NeoOffice :: View topic - Blowing off steam
Blowing off steam

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Blowing off steam

I've been pretty irritated lately, and seeing a posting recently by one of the (non-Sun, but paid corporate) OpenOffice.org engineers actively encouraging people not to check out NeoOffice really made my blood boil.

I found Brett's posting this morning in the development thread very theraputic:

berchca wrote:
ericbachard wrote:

2) why not contribute directly for OpenOffice.org ?

Because I use a Macintosh, and they apparently do not.

I think that sums things up quite nicely Wink

Smokey
(yes, I realize that's a gross oversimplification of everything...but this is Ranting, after all...I also have another rant about OOo and the Mac Porting Team's handling of Mac bug reports, but that's for another day....)

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Blowing off steam

sardisson wrote:
<edit>I found Brett's posting this morning in the development thread very theraputic:
berchca wrote:
ericbachard wrote:

2) why not contribute directly for OpenOffice.org ?

Because I use a Macintosh, and they apparently do not.

I think that sums things up quite nicely Wink
Smokey

I feel your pain. Crying or Very sad
As a (concerned? ) bystander, I get very frustrated by the posturing concerning OOo development efforts. If a group doesn't like what the other does, why can't they be polite.
I think that NeoOffice supporters work hard to support the entire OOo effort. I'd like to think (Ok, it's a dream fantasy! Wink ) that we are all trying to do the same thing - advance the OOo cause.

For some strange reason NeoOffice efforts have become very important to me! I'm comfortable with the people and efforts here at trinity. Why do I find myself becoming "hostile" when I feel people are attacking NeoOffice efforts?

Philip (can't we just all get along? Wink )
ericbachard
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject:

ericb->sardisson

Please stop : I had no bad idea, I don't want to "attack" neoOffice people : it was simply questions.
Why do you always turn everything I write in bad things or worse ?

To answer LemonAid :
You are welcome to come help us for fix OpenOffice.org issues : sign JCA and propose patches. Thank's in advance.

Eric Bachard

--
End Of Topic for me
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject:

ericbachard wrote:
ericb->sardisson

Please stop : I had no bad idea, I don't want to "attack" neoOffice people : it was simply questions.
Why do you always turn everything I write in bad things or worse ?

To answer LemonAid :
You are welcome to come help us for fix OpenOffice.org issues : sign JCA and propose patches. Thank's in advance.

Apparently, Eric has not taken the time to read through the Lesser GPL. The JCA should not be needed anymore if the contribution is to OPENOFFICE.ORG only. If you are contributing code that may make it back into StarOffice (which I am working on such a project), then the JCA becomes LEGALLY necessary only if you are in an INTERNATIONAL Copywrite signatory country (the United States IS NOT ONE OF THEM.) Thus, I could sign a JCA and if it were not for SUN being a US company, this document is worthless. Thus, anyone who has an idea on how to improve or fix OpenOffice.org can contribute their code fixes WITHOUT signing a JCA IF THEIR CODE CANNOT BE UTILIZED for StarOffice (a commercial product.) SINCE SUN HAS NO STATED INTENTIONS TO BRING FORTH A MACINTOSH VERSION OF STAROFFICE A JCA IS UNNECESSARY ADMINISTRATIVE PAPERWORK WHICH IS WORTHLESS. Yes, I had a Copywrite Lawyer look over the JCA because of concerns with a NDA signed with my current employer. This was his legal opinion after SUN abandoned the SSISL (that required a JCA because of legal issues.) Thus, if Mox, JoeBob, LemonAid or anyone else for that matter wish to donate code back to Sun, all they have to do is open an issue, create a Child WorkSpace and put their code there. An appropriate person from Sun will review the code to insure that no more issues arrise from the use of said code and it will be integrated with the OpenOffice.org codebase. That's it. Even the Sun OpenOffice.org webpages removed the requirement for a JCA....

James
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject:

(to Eric)

Oh, I'm sorry, really, I'm an asshole, but I was born in New Jersey, so I only know really how to speak faux Yiddish. English is not my native language so whenever I'm an asshole it really isn't my fault, I guess I was misunderstood in my poor translation.

At least I'm strong enough to admit I'm an asshole regardless of my native language. I'm sure my ex-girlfriend can second that, too. Feel free to look her up if you need a character witness.

We're a GPL operation, Mac only, and yes, hate Louis and his clown antics. What we do is free for all if you can dig the licensing terms and lack of corporate sponsorship. If you don't like that, go suck a donkey. Full reports expected in the morning.

ed

oh wait....

i added this....

Annoying dancing banana
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
(to Eric)

Oh, I'm sorry, really, I'm an asshole, but I was born in New Jersey, so I only know really how to speak faux Yiddish. English is not my native language so whenever I'm an asshole it really isn't my fault, I guess I was misunderstood in my poor translation.

Good thing this one was posted in ranting under the heading of 'blowing off steam' in the first place Wink.

Au revoir,
Oscar

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject:

Why else do you think I broke out my ranting skills extrodinnaire? Very Happy

I figured the overall category made it a level playing field.

I could've won a gold medal at downhill ranting if it weren't for that skillful frenchie...

ed

(PS: all the american downhillers were asses and deserved to lose)
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject:

Philip (Running, Ducking, and Hiding! Danger Will Robinson Danger Wink )
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject:

I have no need to duck. Eric is an asshole. Being a first class asshole myself, he should take that as a compliment. First major Philip Asshole.

ed <--- keep firing assholes!
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject:

(OT: that was a failed attempt at a spaceballs reference...it's funny, laugh)

ed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject:

I think Ed's head has finally exploded.
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
I have no need to duck. Eric is an asshole. Being a first class asshole myself, he should take that as a compliment. First major Philip Asshole.

Thanks for the hint - I missed the SpaceBalls reference.

Philip (wonders if Ed needs another ... beer Wink )
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:

Dark Helmut: What about him.

Commander: He's an Asshole too, sir.

Dark Helmut: Who here is an Asshole!

Staff (about half of them): Yo!

Dark Helmut: I'm surrounded by Assholes!
(closes helmet). Keep firing Asshole....

Sounds like the fight that has been going on around here.

Sadly, the only one's who lose are the users.

(And I agree with Ed's assessment of Eric B.)

And to leave this on a brighter note... Lighten up people. We only get one go round on this blue marble. I'm not worried about what Eric is or is not doing as there are better programmers, engineers, et. al. involved with both NeoOffice and OpenOffice.org. And Eric, you are in CHARGE of the Aqua port, whether or not you wanted the job.

James
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
(to Eric)

Whadda mean? You from Jousey? You speak the Yiddish....

I'm originally from the Jewish Alps (the NORTHERN END).....

And I understood you perfectly.

OPENSTEP wrote:

We're a GPL operation, Mac only, and yes, hate Louis and his clown antics. What we do is free for all if you can dig the licensing terms and lack of corporate sponsorship. If you don't like that, go suck a donkey. Full reports expected in the morning.

Video at five...Read Florian's post in the mac@porting.openoffice.org mailing list and my reply...

James
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Read Florian's post in the mac@porting.openoffice.org mailing list and my reply...

Darn,

"They" almost reached an agreement to do what's best for OOo users as a whole. It's actually kinda of funny. Quote: We need to do these ... steps for Mac, but let's not do them because ...? Confused

Philip (Not going to give up my day job ... yet! Wink )
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2