· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Converting from MS Works 5.0
Converting from MS Works 5.0

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gregg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Converting from MS Works 5.0

I have a client who wants to buy a Mac, but has about 600 documents he created in MS Works 5.0 (Windows Millenium OS) (Yechh). Has anybody had any experience with this monkey, or can anybody here write a filter to batch convert a bunch of .wps files?

This guy really needs a Mac. He's a song writer and doesn't want to become a geek like the rest of us.

Any help along these lines would be greatly appreciated. You can also contact me off list at gregg@mktmaster.com

Many many thanks.
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject:

Gregg,

A quick Google search for "convert MS Works 5.0 files" found a page at Microsoft that lists some Works conversion utilities. I'm sure that there are some hassels about which tools work with what, but it's a good start.

Works - Product Updates and Downloads
This item looks interesting:
"Works 6.0 Converter
The Works 6.0 converter enables users of Works 2000, Works 4.x, Microsoft Word 2000, Word 97, and previous versions of Word to read documents created in Works 6.0. This converter has been tested with Works 4.5, Works 2000, Word 97, and Word 2000 running on Microsoft Windows® 98 and Windows Me.

Download the Works 6.0 converter (1.45 MB)"

Philip (Works files have always driven me ... crazy Crying or Very sad )
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject:

MacLinkPlus might also be able to handle it. It's not free, but usually it supports everything and the kitchen sink.

http://www.dataviz.com/products/maclinkplus/mlp_xlators.html

ed
Gregg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Converting from MS Works 5.0

Thanks for the help. Sadly, the Works conversion is about the only thing MacLink doesn't handle. I passed the other info on to my client in the hopes he can find something there that will help (I don't do Windows).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject:

Now remember, billy has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the conversion YOU REALLY NEED does not work! Wink
Glenner
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject:

I think you will have no other option but convert the Works documents within MS Windoze by using the MS Works-Word converter and then either stick to the MS Office formats in NeoO (you can make them the default file formats, e.g. even allowing mark-up collaboration with Word users), or convert them a second time to NeoO format. Personally I would wait with the second conversion until Patrick has completed his NeoO v 2.0 project because this will adopt the Open Document standard for saving documents, which will be preferable to the proprietory MS file standards.

Martin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Glenner thinks you should wait until NeoOffice 2.0 can write Open Document format.

I think not. Chances are the client still uses MS Office for Windows at work and needs to continue to have compatibility with that format.

On Windows, convert the MS Works documents to MS Word format.

Then you can bring them to the Mac and open them in NeoOffice or Microsoft Office. Set NeoOffice to use Microsoft Word format by default.

Don't make your client wait and risk losing him.
wheat
Operator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Sorry. That last "Guest" post was by me. I did not intend to post anonymously.
Glenner
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject:

Sorry, wheat, that was not quite what I was saying. Yes, I think he should move to Neo by using the MS Office file formats. If, however, he wanted to move to a non-proprietory format I recommended to wait with that second conversion until the OpenDoc file format has been implemented in NeoO for the simple reason that he would otherwise have to convert yet again.'Wink'
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject:

just remember, as a note, that the SX* formats are open source. they are proprietary in the sense that only openoffice.org uses them (but you could use them if you want).

the ODT is 'open' in the sense that other groups are planning are using it. both are fully open source compatible and documented.

(ODT is a buzz word)
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
just remember, as a note, that the SX* formats are open source. they are proprietary in the sense that only openoffice.org uses them (but you could use them if you want).

the ODT is 'open' in the sense that other groups are planning are using it. both are fully open source compatible and documented.

(ODT is a buzz word)

Also, Open Document formats have the backing of a very powerful group, where the old StarWriter, StarCalc, Star etc. did not (this is the .sxw, .sxc, etc. formats). With the adoption of the Open Document formats for OpenOffice.org, this is a great leap forward in the faith of Open Source by Sun and others.

James
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
Also, Open Document formats have the backing of a very powerful group, where the old StarWriter, StarCalc, Star etc. did not (this is the .sxw, .sxc, etc. formats). With the adoption of the Open Document formats for OpenOffice.org, this is a great leap forward in the faith of Open Source by Sun and others.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. When pronounced ODT sounds remarkably like 'oddity' - and that is about how common that file format is now.

Come April, we'll start contributing our bit to spreading that faith Smile.

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Just to nitpick, the "old StarOffice formats" are the sdw, vor, etc., binary formats which were only used in StarOffice.

The sx*/st* formats are the "OpenOffice XML" formats, designed as part of OpenOffice.org. They're supported by OOo, StarOffice, Neo (of course!), IBM's whatever, other OOo-derived products, AbiWord (not the native format), and perhaps others.

The ODF formats are a standardized evolution of the OpenOffice XML formats and really haven't become the native format of any other program yet (unless they are in KOffice...I'm not sure).

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Just to nitpick, the "old StarOffice formats" are the sdw, vor, etc., binary formats which were only used in StarOffice.

Thanks you for the correction, Smokey.

sardisson wrote:

The sx*/st* formats are the "OpenOffice XML" formats, designed as part of OpenOffice.org. They're supported by OOo, StarOffice, Neo (of course!), IBM's whatever, other OOo-derived products, AbiWord (not the native format), and perhaps others.

That is correct too.

sardisson wrote:

The ODF formats are a standardized evolution of the OpenOffice XML formats and really haven't become the native format of any other program yet (unless they are in KOffice...I'm not sure).

Actually, this I will have to disagree with unless is stated at oasis.org. My feelings are that the OpenDocument folks approached Sun and asked them to support the new formats and Sun replied in the afirmative. There was hope that Microsoft would abandon their propriatary formats in lieu of the OpenDocument format in Office 2005. It did not happen...

As to other applications supporting OpenDocument, these should be listed at the OASIS site.

James

Smokey[/quote]
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1