· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice 2.0 status
NeoOffice 2.0 status

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: GCC version

Ok, I'm working with the code but I think I'm on the wrong gcc version. I'm using 4.0.1 and running into conversion errors, such as unable to convert from Sal_char* to char*. What gcc version should I be using?

James
Mox
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice 2.0 status

pluby wrote:
So I thought that I'd give a quick update on where I am with NeoOffice 2.0 before I leave for vacation (yes, I going on vacation for a few weeks for an early celebration of my 40th birthday). As of now, the NeoOffice HEAD branch will build all the way through. It uses OOo 2.0.1 and all of my vcl code has been upgraded so it installs, starts up, prints, etc.

I filed NeoBug 1332, for compiling issues with gcc 4.0.x. I guess you are using gcc 3.3, otherwise you'd been bitten by these too. GCC 4 is needed by Intel port, so this is pretty relevant stuff.

@anyone: any ideas how to solve the bugs I could not fix?

Mox
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice 2.0 status

Mox wrote:
pluby wrote:
So I thought that I'd give a quick update on where I am with NeoOffice 2.0 before I leave for vacation (yes, I going on vacation for a few weeks for an early celebration of my 40th birthday). As of now, the NeoOffice HEAD branch will build all the way through. It uses OOo 2.0.1 and all of my vcl code has been upgraded so it installs, starts up, prints, etc.

I filed NeoBug 1332, for compiling issues with gcc 4.0.x. I guess you are using gcc 3.3, otherwise you'd been bitten by these too. GCC 4 is needed by Intel port, so this is pretty relevant stuff.

Bugs do not fix themselves, but with our assistance they can be worked around, corrected or as some folks say squashed...

BTW, I am using gcc-4.0.1, and ran into the problems you did, Mox. I had not figured out a fix to the salmenu.cxx file, but you did.

I suspect that Patrick is building with gcc-3.3 on Panther which is what I would call the Least Common Denominator (LCD) system. I build with gcc-4.0.1 because that is what I chose to use and I thought no one else was using it. OpenOffice.org 2.0.2rc1 is build on gcc-4.0/4.1, not gcc-3.3 (but it can be as Maho Nakata is proving.) However, I can revert to gcc-3.3 and start up a new build to make sure there are no regressions because of the gcc-4.0.1 fixes.

James
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject:

Dunno if he left yet, but happy birthday, P!

W
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject:

Hey, it's a Waldo sighting! Very Happy
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject:

BOO!!!

Twisted Evil

W
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice 2.0 status

Mox wrote:

I've opened bug 1336 to track the changes needed to change the base code from 2.0.1rc5 to 2.0.2rc2 (rc1 kept on breaking and I could not find the broken files.)
So far, two patch changes and a few files that refused to work properly. Maybe you will not run into these problems, Mox.

James
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: OpenOffice 2.0.2 rc status

Well it looks like rc2, rc3 and rc4 are 'broken'. Received a message from Joost Andre that rc5 is going to be released sometime today. However, I'm going to attempt a build using rc4 because some of the files were 'mashed', which means the file name was trucated and the end was replaced with four zeros and the file access attributes (644 or 755.)
I think this is a shortcoming of the pax program and if so, this would be a major problem.

James
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: OpenOffice 2.0.2 rc status

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
Well it looks like rc2, rc3 and rc4 are 'broken'. Received a message from Joost Andre that rc5 is going to be released sometime today. However, I'm going to attempt a build using rc4 because some of the files were 'mashed', which means the file name was trucated and the end was replaced with four zeros and the file access attributes (644 or 755.)
I think this is a shortcoming of the pax program and if so, this would be a major problem.

Update 2.0.2rc5 has been released as source code. I am in the middle of a build with 2.0.2rc4 to see if anything remains broken. Right now it appears that np_sdk does not deliver files to the proper location for the extensions module. I will try a straight OpenOffice.org 2.0.2rc5 build if this happens with mozilla disabled.

James

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice 2.0 status

Patrick, I come late, but - happy birthday!
Paolo
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice 2.0 status

pluby wrote:

There are a few bugs here and there (e.g. closing the last window doesn't quite work right) but they are most likely due to incorrectly merging my NeoOffice 1.2 code with the OOo 2.0.1 code. Also, I got the NeoOffice installer to work but only one huge NeoOffice installer is built. I still need to break up the installation into separate language pack and help installers.

All in all, things look pretty good and it appears that I am on target to release a NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha for PowerPC with whatever the latest OOo 2.0.x is in early April.

Patrick:

Both Mox and I cannot get vcl to completely build with either 2.0.1 or the recent set of 2.0.2 release candidates. The build stops soundly at vcl/java/source/window/salmenu.cxx. Mox opened an BugZilla for this but we have not been able to overcome this. Please assist us in fixing this bug. BTW, we are using the anoncvs server.

James

Patrick[/quote]
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice 2.0 status

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
Both Mox and I cannot get vcl to completely build with either 2.0.1 or the recent set of 2.0.2 release candidates. The build stops soundly at vcl/java/source/window/salmenu.cxx. Mox opened an BugZilla for this but we have not been able to overcome this. Please assist us in fixing this bug. BTW, we are using the anoncvs server.

I am still on vacation for another week. In any case, I really cannot help either of you on this as my build machine is Mac OS X 10.3 using gcc 3.3. I use this combination as my builds are the release builds and they need to run on both Mac OS X 10.3 and 10.4. Since Mac OS X 10.3 does not support gcc 4.0.x, I must use the least common demoninator: gcc 3.3.

So, most likely the build problems that you are encountering are due to use of gcc 4.0.x. I welcome any patches that you may submit. However, ensuring that NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha builds with gcc 4.0.x on Mac OS X 10.4 is very low in my priority list since this is not needed for me to do a release and, more importantly, I have only one machine and working on Mac OS X 10.4 means that I have to completely stop work on NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha for the three days that it will take to build on my G4 450 MHz.

Sorry, but if this is important to you, you'll need to figure this out yourself. Otherwise, I'll get around to fixing it when I start work on NeoOffice 2.0 for Mactel (i.e. after NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha is released for PowerPC).

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice 2.0 status

pluby wrote:
jjmckenzie51 wrote:

I am still on vacation for another week.

Enjoy. I wish I could take a few weeks of vacation, I really need it after the last few weeks at work.

pluby wrote:

In any case, I really cannot help either of you on this as my build machine is Mac OS X 10.3 using gcc 3.3. I use this combination as my builds are the release builds and they need to run on both Mac OS X 10.3 and 10.4. Since Mac OS X 10.3 does not support gcc 4.0.x, I must use the least common demoninator: gcc 3.3.

Ok. I will attempt to do a build using gcc-3.3. I think that I did and ran into the same problems with XCode 2.2. This may be the real problem and not the fact that we are using gcc-4.0. In any case I'm seeing errors about mismatched datatypes (jint versus void*). It is possible that gcc-4.0 is more touchy about casting from non-pointer to pointer styles and may require forced typecasting.

pluby wrote:

So, most likely the build problems that you are encountering are due to use of gcc 4.0.x. I welcome any patches that you may submit. However, ensuring that NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha builds with gcc 4.0.x on Mac OS X 10.4 is very low in my priority list since this is not needed for me to do a release and, more importantly, I have only one machine and working on Mac OS X 10.4 means that I have to completely stop work on NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha for the three days that it will take to build on my G4 450 MHz.

I don't want you to stop doing ANYTHING for three days, let alone work. I have a much faster machine and can leave it go for a day or two. This may be the start of work on the MacTel port as it only uses MacOSX 10.4.x and is still a good deal of work and it does need to get done.

pluby wrote:

Sorry, but if this is important to you, you'll need to figure this out yourself. Otherwise, I'll get around to fixing it when I start work on NeoOffice 2.0 for Mactel (i.e. after NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha is released for PowerPC).

It is definately worth the effort in the long run and it does give me something to do other than sudoku puzzles and try to figure out something at work.

Speaking of work, know anyone looking for a very used Oracle DBA with 8i and 9i experience?

James
mat
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice 2.0 status

pluby wrote:
I am still on vacation for another week. In any case, I really cannot help either of you on this as my build machine is Mac OS X 10.3 using gcc 3.3. I use this combination as my builds are the release builds and they need to run on both Mac OS X 10.3 and 10.4. Since Mac OS X 10.3 does not support gcc 4.0.x, I must use the least common demoninator: gcc 3.3.

i may be wrong, but i think i've read that 10.3.9 supports gcc4 builds too, so i dont think that there is a need to use 3.3 anymore (anyone with 10.3 should update to 10.3.9 anyway)
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Why is Patrick using OS X 10.3.5?

mat wrote:
pluby wrote:

i may be wrong, but i think i've read that 10.3.9 supports gcc4 builds too, so i dont think that there is a need to use 3.3 anymore (anyone with 10.3 should update to 10.3.9 anyway)

Understand that Patrick is building with a very old machine that may not support 10.3.9. Also, if we can build under gcc-3.3 then we should, with a few changes to the code base, be able to build with gcc-4.0. The problem is that there are folks who use NeoOffice on machines that have low memory (128MB) or a slow processor (300MHz) and we need to meet their needs too. Not everyone can afford the fastest and flashest system. I consider myself on the 'bleeding' edge of most of the NeoOffice users and I have an older PowerBook G4 running Tiger.

Mox and myself are working on some of the steps needed to get a MacTel version of NeoOffice. Mox found some anomolies with building with gcc-4.0 as well as I. I have decided to 'step back' and try a gcc-3.3 build on Tiger to see if the different code bases for for XCode (I am using 2.2, Patrick is using 1.5) are causing the problem or if using gcc-4.0 is the problem. At this point, there are several Panther (10.3.x) folks who have successfully build NeoOffice with OpenOffice 2.0.x, also called NeoOffice 2.0. Finally, we have to overcome these issues in order to get NeoOffice ready for the MacTel. Why? Because more folks will be using MacTel's in the future as the PPC versions of the lower end systems are phased out and discontinued.

James
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3