· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice on Intel Macs
NeoOffice on Intel Macs

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lyberth
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: NeoOffice on Intel Macs

What do we do to get this package to run on intel based Macs?
i can supply compiling hours if that is needed

Regards Isak
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject:

curently the openoffice.org group is working on porting the X11 version to Intel (there are already usable versions)

the fixes they do to that code can then be (hopefully) applied to Neo 2.0 to create an Intel version.

james or ed could probably speak more techincal on the matter.

if you have an intel machine, you can help in two ways. one, by getting the OO.oX11 Intel version and run and test it. two, =) don't go anywhere, because we'll need testers for the Neo Intel code.

-j
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
curently the openoffice.org group is working on porting the X11 version to Intel (there are already usable versions)

the fixes they do to that code can then be (hopefully) applied to Neo 2.0 to create an Intel version.

james or ed could probably speak more techincal on the matter.

Thanks Jake.

Ok, there is a version of OpenOffice.org 2.0 that will run on the Intel Mac without Rosetta. However, this version is NOT supported by OpenOffice. You have to go to another site to get it and run it.

Two, we do not have an Intel machine on which to do build runs. Right now, we are working out issues with updating the OpenOffice.org code to the latest/greatest version. Then we have to apply the latest Intel patches to make sure that this does not cause problems with the PPC build of NeoOffice on Panther (this is the baseline system as more of these are in use than either Tiger or Intel's). Once this is checked, the several of us do builds on Tiger/PPC. Then, if you wish, you can attempt to do a build on Tiger/Intel. We do appreciate your willingness to help, but the first two issues have to be worked through first.

JakeOSX wrote:

if you have an intel machine, you can help in two ways. one, by getting the OO.oX11 Intel version and run and test it. two, =) don't go anywhere, because we'll need testers for the Neo Intel code.

-j

Definately. I do know the site is ftp.good-day.net, I just don't remember where the builds are at.

Also, and this is one important last thing. There are efforts underway to make a Universal Binary version of OpenOffice.org 2.0.2. I don't know the status of these builds as I have not been tracking this effort as of late. I do know that there was vigorous discussions as to whether or not to continue.

Last comment: Welcome to NeoOffice! I look forward to assistance on the Intel build when it becomes available.

James
eric bachard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject:

ericb-> jjmckenzie

>Ok, there is a version of OpenOffice.org 2.0 that will run on the
>Intel Mac without Rosetta.

Yes, OpenOffice.org 2.0 works well on Mac Intel : I use it every day.

>However, this version is NOT supported
>by OpenOffice. You have to go to another site to get it and run it.
I provide Intel builds in 4 locales, Maho with more (maybe 60), and we have planned to QA it.

Of course we will take care about issues ...

The best way to give us feedback : use mac@porting mailing list

<http://porting.openoffice.org/servlets/ProjectMailingListList>
(subscribe is necessary)

Regards

--
eric bachard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject:

ah, but does it work outside of your build system? Twisted Evil
eric bachard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: OpenOffice.org 2.0 works on Mactel

ericb->guest

Yes : we were invited by Apple on Apple stand, three days, on Solution Linux Conferences (Paris february 2006), and it OpenOffice.org was working out of the box on several machines, included MAc Intel machines. X11 has to be installed, of course.

Why ?

--
eric bachard
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject:

eric bachard wrote:
ericb-> jjmckenzie

>Ok, there is a version of OpenOffice.org 2.0 that will run on the
>Intel Mac without Rosetta.

Yes, OpenOffice.org 2.0 works well on Mac Intel : I use it every day.

This is not disputed. I know that the Intel build is there. The next step is to get UB built with an Installer (or better yet, take a look at Firefox.)

eric bachard wrote:

>However, this version is NOT supported
>by OpenOffice. You have to go to another site to get it and run it.
I provide Intel builds in 4 locales, Maho with more (maybe 60), and we have planned to QA it.

I did not state that the builds are not there at several locations (actually there are more than four, but who's counting.) What I said is the build is not offically supported by OpenOffice.org, yet. They only support the PPC build and that is to supply space for the web pages, which now need to be updated.

eric bachard wrote:

Of course we will take care about issues ...

The best way to give us feedback : use mac@porting mailing list

<http://porting.openoffice.org/servlets/ProjectMailingListList>
(subscribe is necessary)

This is the Mac mailing list. Where is is archived at? I belong to another, non-OpenOffice.org mailing list and trying to get information out of it is not an easy task. By having both the mailing list and these fora a user can and will get very good information.

And the goal after UB is an aquafied version. And I will state that NeoOffice is way ahead on completing this task.

James
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject:

-> Eric

Just my opinion

1. When we answer new User questions we try to be very careful about what is Fully Released / OOo Supported versions, and what is Testing / Release Candidate versions.
After 30+ years of End User Support I have learned that new users don't understand the difference between software in testing, and officially released software. Many of the questions we answer on Trinity Forums are asked because the users just want software that works. Not needing more testing.

<edit> <rant?>
1.1 Advanced users can follow your link to http://porting.openoffice.org/servlets/ProjectMailingListList if they want more development details.

2. Because of language translation differences (French <--> English), sometimes statements can be mis-understood. Please don't take offense at every statement. We are all are trying to advance the OpenOffice.org efforts.

3. Have some trust that those of us who daily answer user questions are helping support the OpenOffice.org efforts the best we can.
</rant?>

Philip ( Working to spread the word about OOo Wink )

Last edited by LemonAid on Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject:

Folks, can we please keep the accusations and non-productive comments out of this forum (say, in Ranting, if you must) Smile

The original poster asked a simple question and, if I were a newcomer, the "answers" he/she got, for the most part, would not leave me with a favorable impression of either "team"/"product".

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice on Intel Macs

lyberth wrote:
What do we do to get this package to run on intel based Macs?
i can supply compiling hours if that is needed

Regards Isak

Here's a brief overview of the situation:

At the moment, what will be NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha builds all the way through on PPC and runs, but there are still a few noticeable bugs from upgrading the NeoOffice code to sit atop the 2.0 codebase that will need to be fixed. This build uses the OpenOffice.org 2.0.1 codebase for its core.

Support for Intel Macs is being added to OOo by Eric Bachard and his team; I don't know what cvs tag/codebase this support is in (or whether it is complete and "bug-free")--I don't follow OOo development any more--but I'm pretty sure it's not in the 2.0.1 code that Neo 2.0 is currently building.

If you're up for some hacking, I'm sure James McKenzie can tell you how to alter the Neo makefiles/build process to pull the version of the OOo code with Intel support so you can see how far the build gets (there have apparently been problems with using post-2.0.1 OOo code in the Neo build system on PPC already) and work on fixes.

Otherwise, my general sense of the developers' priorities leads me to believe the schedule will be something like this: 1) Fix the remaining issues with Neo 2 (PPC/OOo 2.0.1) and release Neo 2 Alpha; 2) Fix bugs that show up and move to a newer stable OOo codebase with Intel support; 3) Get a working Neo 2 Intel Alpha; etc.

Given the small number of developer and limited resources, and the fact that the majority of Neo's userbase (and Apple's userbase) are using PPC Macs, the Intel version is not top priority. Any additional help, however, will speed things along Wink

Smokey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Need access to intel mac?

Hi,
I've been using NeoOffice/J on my Mac (Powerbook) for quite some time now. Thanks for it!
I got an Intel iMac a few weeks ago, and I'd be happy to provide a VNC access to it to any of the main NeoOffice developers if it's of any use.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject:

Well, right now for me the Intel stuff is taking a backburner to another pet project I'll be working on. Someone may be donating Patrick a build machine, but the extent to which it'll be supported is going to be a ways off. I had been working on getting the old 1.x code up to speed, but after running into unexplained difficulties updating the type system for gcc4 and with the Neo 2.0 stuff coming along more quickly than anticipated I just punted Very Happy

We also won't be doing universal binary versions either. Folks already complain about the size of the d/l...no need to increase it radically and force people to download dozens of megabytes of stuff that they'll never need on their computer.

The primary goal is to get Neo 2.x working on PowerPC and working out the bugs in VCL, printing, font layout, and everything else. 2.x also takes care of the gcc4 work, so it nearly kills two birds with one stone.

Your best bet is to use an X11 OOo release, either the experimental or running under Rosetta. When it comes down to it, there really is not much of a need for office software to be compiled native. The Rosetta environment is fast enough (heck, Word and friends run just fine). Most of the time, word processors are waiting for you to type, presentation programs are waiting for you to click, etc. Spreadsheets have the best argument for being computationally intensive, but if you really are doing serious number crunching you probably aren't using a spreadsheet Wink The issue with Neo and portions of OOo 2.0 is that *Apple* didn't release a universal binary of Java. Java only supports the Intel architecture in that 10.4 Intel relase and not PowerPC. If Apple had released a universal Java runtime that could launch into Rosetta then none of this would be a problem.

The majority of Macs are still PowerPC, and the majority of Neo users are PowerPC (well, due to incompatibilities, 100%!), so that's where our inital work will all be done. Once it's stable on PowerPC we'll move on to tackling the other processor Smile

ed
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject:

As far as I remember somewhere patrick has been talking about april 06 for a 2.0 Alpha. Is this still assumeable?
T.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Orgleser wrote:
As far as I remember somewhere patrick has been talking about april 06 for a 2.0 Alpha. Is this still assumeable?
T.

April 2006 for Neo 2.0 Alpha for PowerPC only. I've said it before but it bears repeating: I am not going to work on a Mactel release until I have finished the PowerPC development and it has gone through a public testing cycle.

From my point of view, the number of Mactel owners is a very small in comparison to the number of PowerPC owners and supporting two platforms will result in twice as much support. Since the available time that I and our support volunteers is for the most part fixed, this means that releasing a Mactel release would require either reducing support for our existing PowerPC users or not providing any support for the Mactel release.

Since I am strongly against releasing anything that I cannot reasonably support, neither option appeals to me. Eventually, I will get around to a Mactel release, but PowerPC development is still at the top of my priority list.

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Orgleser wrote:
T.

April 2006 for Neo 2.0 Alpha for PowerPC only. I've said it before but it bears repeating: I am not going to work on a Mactel release until I have finished the PowerPC development and it has gone through a public testing cycle.

I quite agree with this. We also have to state what is the minimum level of system that we will support:

I propose:

Mac OS X 10.3.9
gcc -3.3 as the compiler
XCode 1.5 with appropriate updates.
OpenOffice 2.0.1 as the OpenOffice baseline.

Any other builds, to include the one's that Mox and I have been working on are just test builds to get ready for the MacTel effort.

James
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3