Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - first impressions
first impressions

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris c

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: first impressions

Well.... impressive! Little slow but hey its Java what can you do? The interface seems somehow smaller..or at least the letters are. Crisp though.

Have not tried printing yet (out of paper), but I have opened up my docs from the other applications and they work fine! Even the one that I have embeded an excel spreadsheet in as a floating frame! It just works!

Little slow on keyboard and mouse input but like I said its java...

Little amazed that it is not set to appear "native" given that I am under the impression that it is fairly easy to do that with java. And I wish that my scroll wheel would work with it but...still thumbs up!
knoxer
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:31 am    Post subject:

I agree very much with chris's opinions above. I downloaded it over night and just had time to open it briefly before work this morning, but I found it quite useable.

Responce was surprisingly good (1GHz eMac, 768MB, 32MB Radeon 7500)

I'll try opening/saving/printing/etc. tonight.
chris c

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject:

well open/save works... print not so much! Keeps telling me no default printer found try again...and if I go to printer settings to add the printer same thing...

but other then that very usable! Seems to have good font support but I am not that demanding on fonts and if it can see the majority of the ones that I have thats good enough for me.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Don't bother trying to print as printing is not implemented yet.

You might want to check out the list of missing features at:

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/features.html#bugs

Patrick
chris c

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:43 am    Post subject:

duhhhhhhhh! Whats a readme?

Laughing
knoxer
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:40 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I read the FAQ a few minutes after my post. Oops. I tried printing anyway when I got home, didn't work of course. It opened everything I asked it to though. Keep up the good work.
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: first impressions

chris c wrote:
Well.... impressive! Little slow but hey its Java what can you do? The interface seems somehow smaller..or at least the letters are. Crisp though.

I would like to echo these sentiments. Is it possible to increase the font size in the UI? I haven't done a lot of testing.

Regards, Terry
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject:

The default font size I believe is in a file named "settings.cxx" inside of vcl. Open a vcl module and do a grep for "Tahoma" or "Charcoal" in Neo, "Lucida Grande" in OOo, and you'll find the file. The default font size is in the same place, I believe. I changed both for Neo on a regular basis, and the same patch can be used for NeoJ.

As to the performance issues, yeah, it's sad, but sometimes it impresses me that java can run as fast as it does. The cool thing is though that even though there are all of these font issues, Japanese font rendering *and* text input are functional!

Bitching.

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Ed,

Thanks for the tip on where the default font is set. When I get back from vacation, I will try using the Neo code so that the default font is not so small.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:44 am    Post subject:

In my downtime I'll start looking into the Java printing support as well. It's a skill I need to learn for my job too, so might as well start somewhere!

Man, sometimes I wish I didn't have that "day job" thing Smile

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I have posted a proposed approach for implementing printing in NeoOffice/J in the NeoOffice/J Development forum.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1