Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Constructive criticism
Constructive criticism

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: user opinion

sardisson wrote:
Folks, can we please keep the accusations and non-productive comments out of this forum (say, in Ranting, if you must) Smile

The original poster asked a simple question and, if I were a newcomer, the "answers" he/she got, for the most part, would not leave me with a favorable impression of either "team"/"product".

As longtime follower of these forums and user of both products, I find that the despite a veneer of "evenhandedness" in response to questions by users about the relative progress or capabilities of the two products- there are lots of subtle digs made about openoffice. This of course results in mister bachard responding and then people rounding on him and sneering.

If you want to be nasty or mean, do it in an email to him separately. I just bought an iMac Intel- I had the same question as the newcomer. Dissing openoffice (in whatever persnicketty subtle fashion you can) when there isn't a beta build of neooffice on intel on offer is well... bad form. Now, you are probably going to remind me that I am ungrateful about you saving my life by developing neooffice- well save it. I'm not stupid. Everyone rows their own boat.

I just find this whole thing sounds like bad turf war. A long time ago I used to be a computer salesman and the one thing I thing I got from that job is never diss your competition.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject:

Note: Split off from this topic since it's offtopic flamebait.

ed
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject:

There is a two camp feel to this openoffice mac thing that is going on (and well, those of us caught in the middle)

truth is, there are two camps. there is the neooffice camp who started off as the porters of openoffice.org to the mac (remember, oo.o on the mac is a port, not an official release). they started neo to see about native code for the mac.

after they left a new group took over. the two groups dissagree over liscencing, method, and other things.

mac is the only group with two versions of openoffice.org. (well, used to be three, back in the 'brand X' days, just to show my age) do we need two? sure, why not. competition is good. neo 1.1 had features not even the windows 1.1 version had, good stuff there. openoffice.org x11 2.0 runs on intel macs, before word does, good stuff.

are there minced words? sure, it happens. especially since we provide support for the x11 port. personnally i use both programs. i support both programs. and i have no issue telling someone that the answer to their problem is to use neo, or use oo.ox112.0, if that is in fact the answer. we should not candy coat problems to make one look better than the other. they are what they are.

openoffice.org x11, it is 2.0, has more openoffice.org features than neo
neo, it is 1.1.5, has more native mac features than oo.ox11

there it is.

and my only wish for the oo.o guys is that eric (and others) would post to answer questions, not just 'defend' their stance.

-j
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
and my only wish for the oo.o guys is that eric (and others) would post to answer questions, not just 'defend' their stance.

And also stop being jackasses and trolling in random Neo topics.

Note, not all of the people who work on OOo or even the Mac port are jackasses. There are only two jackasses and one sleazebag.

ed
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
jakeOSX wrote:

And also stop being jackasses and trolling in random Neo topics.

Note, not all of the people who work on OOo or even the Mac port are jackasses. There are only two jackasses and one sleazebag.

What I would like is one "We were wrong about Cococa" so that most of us in the developer/build team can say "We told you so, but you would not listen".

I would also agree that most of the the Mac OS X porting team are fine to work with. There are a couple that can be difficult, but one has been humbled (and I did not do it.)

BTW, Eric handed over the task of leading the QA of 2.0.2 rc 4 to me. I think this shows that he can and does learn. And yes, I'm not out the 'get him'. I just want the best product for the end user.

James
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
What I would like is one "We were wrong about Cococa" so that most of us in the developer/build team can say "We told you so, but you would not listen".

And what, pray tell, would that achieve? Other than feeding a couple of egos in people who are already convinced they knew better anyway.

Please, just let this controverse die. Stop rehashing.

best wishes,
Oscar

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Well, I, for one, could stand a bit more of that ego feeding....Annoying dancing banana

ed
MacRat
Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Ego feeding?

Would an Emu egg work instead?
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Tough call. There's nothing quite as life-sustaining as a jackass admitting they're wrong. Especially if it's accompanied with habanero sauce.

ed
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Tough call. There's nothing quite as life-sustaining as a jackass admitting they're wrong. Especially if it's accompanied with habanero sauce.

Ed,

You are a sadistic bastard! Have you ever had Habanero sauce? You know EXACTLY where it is, and your rectum/anus does not look forward to its arrival.

BTW, I HAVE EXPERIENCE...

Now, back to our topic. It does one good to admit that you were wrong. It is called humbleness. Some folks need a serious dose of it.

James
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject:

I started off with green chili, graduated to tabasco, but that was not enough. Habanero sauce is one of my best friends. I have three different varieties at home and it usually accompanies me to restaurants. In mass quantities it can be as cleansing as atkins pasta...

Pfft. I've been wrong many times and I'm proud of it! In fact I think there's good historical evidence in the /C CVS repository...

ed
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
I started off with green chili, graduated to tabasco, but that was not enough. Habanero sauce is one of my best friends. I have three different varieties at home and it usually accompanies me to restaurants. In mass quantities it can be as cleansing as atkins pasta...

Until he retired, I knew of a person who grew Scotch Bonnet's (they are actually hotter than Habanero's.) He brought in a sample of his salsa once. The saying 'A little goes a long way' applied.

OPENSTEP wrote:

Pfft. I've been wrong many times and I'm proud of it! In fact I think there's good historical evidence in the /C CVS repository...

I'm willing to bet there is.

And I'm definately one to say I've had my share of mistakes. One ended up with me getting a federal rap sheet (I was not convicted, but I did spend quite a few hours with Federal investigators. It was a case of working for the wrong person.) In any case, it is the ability to humble one's self and admit that you made a mistake and then carry on. And I will admit that I thought it was much easier to 'upgrade' versions in NeoOffice. I was seriously mistaken. However, it did prove to be an interesting exercise and kept me (and a couple of others) busy for a couple of weeks.

James
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1