Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Should I put out a NeoOffice 1.2.1 release?
Should I put out a NeoOffice 1.2.1 release?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Should I put out a NeoOffice 1.2.1 release?

Since we are now at "Patch 6" for NeoOffice 1.2 and the patch has a lot of fixes and performance improvements, I am thinking of pushing out a NeoOffice 1.2.1 release. This release would merely combine NeoOffice 1.2 plus "Patch 6".

I am still at least a few weeks away from a NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha release so I thought that now would be a good time to take the bandwidth hit for a NeoOffice 1.2.1 release.

Does anyone see any big problems that might occur if I did such a release?

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Even though there's notes to check the patch page at the top of the forum, in the main story, and on the download page itself, it seems that folks just don't do that. I see no problem doing a 1.2.1 release with all of the fixes and, if anything, it might get people to actually download it and get the fixes.

ed
Glenner
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Even though there's notes to check the patch page at the top of the forum, in the main story, and on the download page itself, it seems that folks just don't do that. I see no problem doing a 1.2.1 release with all of the fixes and, if anything, it might get people to actually download it and get the fixes.
ed

Is there no way to insert an "update" item on one of the menu items as you did with the Preferences feature? People are used to look for something like that rather than reading through download details etc. Just a suggestion. Don't know whether it can be done.
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject:

If glenners proposal is practicable, I would prefer this. Perhaps it would be a solution to integrate a "patch check on/of" button or menu item into Neos next version, with "patch check on" recommended.
If this is not possible, a 1.2.1 may be a very good idea, I very much support what Ed says. Everywhere in the fora and bugzilla are requests that seem to indicate people just didn't update Neo, and some of our time and webspace and... here is taken by telling people to get the latest patch.

Thomas
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Btw ... I am glad to read about "a few weeks" (even if this is followed by "at least"). Patrick, you do a very great job!
T.
MacRat
Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Patrick might be delayed a bit now that he has an Intel Mac mini to distract him. Laughing
Glenner
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Does that mean that Patrick is now even 4 times faster than before (?) - hard to imagine!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Orgleser wrote:
If glenners proposal is practicable, I would prefer this. Perhaps it would be a solution to integrate a "patch check on/of" button or menu item into Neos next version, with "patch check on" recommended.
If this is not possible, a 1.2.1 may be a very good idea, I very much support what Ed says. Everywhere in the fora and bugzilla are requests that seem to indicate people just didn't update Neo, and some of our time and webspace and... here is taken by telling people to get the latest patch.

This is not going to happen. Implementing a new menu and wiring to the patch update mechanism is not trivial. In contrast, changing the version number, respinning the build, and uploading the binaries is only one full day of work.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Given that the update-check is off and the 6 (!) patches that have been released offer *significant* performance updates in RAM/CPU usage and Aqua menus, among other items, plus a number of crasher fixes, a NeoOffice 1.2.1 release seems warranted (and almost "normal" Laughing )

Nothing in Bugzilla seems critical (or recent), so I don't see anything in there that would be a problem for a release. I'd wait a few days yet before spinning the build to make sure that no regressions from Patch-6 pop up, but that's it Smile

Smokey

sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject:

As implementing a button is not possible I aggree with smokey.
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I put out a NeoOffice 1.2.1 release?

pluby wrote:
Since we are now at "Patch 6" for NeoOffice 1.2 and the patch has a lot of fixes and performance improvements, I am thinking of pushing out a NeoOffice 1.2.1 release. This release would merely combine NeoOffice 1.2 plus "Patch 6".

I say: Go for it! If performance has improved that much, it makes sense to offer a .1 release.

pluby wrote:

I am still at least a few weeks away from a NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha release so I thought that now would be a good time to take the bandwidth hit for a NeoOffice 1.2.1 release.

Good idea. We will need as much bandwidth as possible when the alpha is released.

James
bigmudcake

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject:

What would be handy is a menu item called "Latest Updates" maybe in the Help menu that simply opens the default web browser with the URL
http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/en/patch.php
val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:33 am    Post subject:

I support this good idea too Smile

Most people aren't aware of patches so bumping up the version number seems to be a nice way of telling them Neo's been updated.
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject:

val1984 wrote:
I support this good idea too Smile

Most people aren't aware of patches so bumping up the version number seems to be a nice way of telling them Neo's been updated.

DITTO! Shocked Update away. Today 1.2.1, tomorrow ?? (or next week) Laughing

Philip ( Looks at those numbers go Wizzing by! Wink )
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Should I put out a NeoOffice 1.2.1 release?

pluby wrote:

I think this is a good idea. It will likely save on first-timers coming here for basic advice.

From a technical point of view it makes little difference, but it looks so much better to have a state of the art release available that works out of the box.

Best wishes,
Oscar

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2