Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Looking Good, or putting together a distributable clipart pk
Looking Good, or putting together a distributable clipart pk

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Looking Good, or putting together a distributable clipart pk

Call me shallow; maybe I like bling. I never could understand why people chose to watch black and white movies when colour was available. I like an attractive thing to look at, especially if I am looking at it for severaal hours in a day.

Now, I know this sort of approach distracts from the main game of development of the most functional comprehensive feature-rich suite of programs that NeoOffice can be. But I believe that more people will actually use NeoOffice, if it is not only a functional comprehensive feature-rich suite of programs, but an attractive and modern-looking functional comprehensive feature rich ....after all, a functional comprehensive feature-rich suite of programs that doesn't look up-to-date will not win users over from the programs they are used to.

All of this leads me to what you see when you have “Gallery” on. Click on that little button for “gallery”, and a section pops down with a selection of pictures on it. Maybe you always have it on. If you've done nothing much to your pictures, this is what it will look like. This is what mine looks like. Notice the difference. The standard opening graphics in the Gallery are these bit-mapped “3D” rubber tyres or donuts [called toroids , AFAICR]. Not very exciting, nor very state-of-the art. They look like Windows 3.11, because they lack any smoothing that we are used to.

Why do they appear when we open the gallery? Because they are in a Theme named “3D Effects”, which comes before all the others, since it starts with a number. You can ensure that a different set of pics comes up when Gallery is opened, by giving it a number before three. I have numbered my theme 01_Famous_artworks_thinkall (it came in a sampler gallery I bought from thinkall.com). That forces it to the top of the theme list.

Whatever pics are first in the folder then will come up first. You can manufacture whatever you want in this way. I collect some Hubble pics, number them in the order I want, and install them as a theme 00_Hubble_pics. Bingo, it appears at the top of the list, and my screen looks like this .

Or by simpling renaming themes (highlight the theme, control-click and select “Rename”on the context menu that pops up) you could have this or this as your default opening screen whenever Gallery is open. It will have minimal impact on your usage of the program, but it will present a much nicer face to you and anyone else looking at your screen.

You might want to try this: go to this site . Click on NeoScreen Preview and download the zip file. Unzip it. Open the folder called NeoPics Copy with Preview, so that there are thumbnails down the side. Then go to View: select Slideshow and watch the bar change. Having watched that, tell me that you are really very happy with the toroid [rubber tyres] and see no need to change. If so, I have a nice Commodore 128 somewhere that should be worth money to you: I'd love to sell it to you. And there's a Stylewriter here somewhere...

Wink

P
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject:

Peter, I love what I ve seen. Convinces me again our job done with the clipart thing was a good one ... and: Clipart useage can still be improved. What would be the next step? Improving the wiki further and further? But perhaps it is as with the template story: Ed suggested somewhere, we could provide an additional installer or thelike, that gives a few choosen templates (the probably most needed for average use) to people together with Neo to give them a feeling of what they could have.
Is it the same with clipart? Should we provide a small collection of free, state-of-the-art clipart? Could this be done without too much work for any of us?
Could we aim providing 2.x with an additional templates and clipart installer?
Or, is all of this thought too much? (Well you show us the possibilities of making Neo more attractive ... do we have time, space, people enough to provide a bit of them as a kind of "neo default"?)
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Where to from here?

Hi Thomas [the shepherd: I like that, a nice nickname Smile ]

Thanks for your response and encouraging words. I've been thinking about this. Some [random] thoughts:

1. We now have links to 100,000s of images on the NeoWiki [ eg at Sources - I kept adding to it eg wpclipart.com and Wikipedia PD links]. There's also PDfoto.com, which I haven't put up there. The count must be approaching 1 million. It's anybody's guess as to how many GB's that adds up to!!
2. So, there's no way we can package anything but a fraction of what's up there.
3. We need to credit the sources.
4. We need to ensure we don't take away from anybody's income eg the maintainer of wpclipart.com [can't find his name, psherma?] makes it clear he gets income from advertising on his site, which could be lost if someone put his collection up somewhere else. It would be good if we could increase the hits on their sites by what we do!
5. We can certainly boost the collection that comes with OpenOffice.org/ NeoOffice, and add some interesting and useful PD images that won't get us into copyright probs.

Maybe what we might consider is a package of about 150MB-200MB [ie no bigger than NeoOffice itself Smile ] of themed images from a variety of sources, that we would consider as

1. likely to be useful
2. not likely to look out-of-date within a year or two Wink
3. attractive
4. representative of what's available from these PD sources

I'd like to hear your and other's views on what they would like before we go too far with this, because it will be lots of work for us.

I am aware that this thread hasn't had too many views so far. Maybe it needs a new title eg New Clipart package for NeoOffice? Or maybe it needs to be "bumped" to NeoOffice Devt. or NeoOffice Support?

Regards
Peter
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject:

... still thinking with you.
As for title of the thread how would "adding clipart installation?" be? In my opinion Development would be a good place for this.
But doing this thing IS a question of time and space (as is the GUI ting or the template thing) ...
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject:

Orgleser wrote:
As for title of the thread how would "adding clipart installation?" be? In my opinion Development would be a good place for this.
But doing this thing IS a question of time and space (as is the GUI ting or the template thing) ...

Thanks T. Yes, I just think the title "looking good" is not going to attract people's attention. Now, how do we get the name changed and this thread moved to a more appropriate category?

Yes, it will be work for us, but...if we do it, presumably this could benefit all of the OpenOffice.org community? So, I'd be happy to put in hours on that basis, since the benefits will be felt by so many.

I can't do the template thing, nor an easy-install thing. I would be happy to work at finding/selecting/categorising images, that sort of thing. And it's the sort of task where we could share it around: eg you find and categorise the images in categories x,y and z, and I find those in a, b and d, while someone else does m,n and o...

I agree that it would be great to have an easy, efficient installation process for a package of images that one downloaded separately to NeoOffice/ OpenOffice.org. Is that what you were thinking?

My Neo installation is now 1GB, I have it bulging with images! But most of these I wouldn't use, or think of using! Very Happy. I think it might be better to have a collection of most-useful images [eg only 2 or 3 of Van Gogh's paintings from Wikipedia, instead of fourteen!], and a way for people to then find more.

If we provided 150MB of images, this could be anywhere between 2000 and 10,000 images: many of the openclipart images are only 4-8KB, but there are others which could be 100s of KBs. My Van Gogh's from Wikipedia go from 200Kb to 1MB [The Potato-Eaters] So we can estimate that the bigger images will be about 500kb, and lots will be only 5KB

I spent time this past year renaming icons for NeoOffice: there were many hundreds of icons involved, and quite a bit of selecting, finding and cross-checking. In some ways, this task with collections of images would be easier. In any case, I have no doubt I could do a couple of thousand images, on the basis of my experience with the icons. I think once the process was decided [a significant task in itself], the actual cataloguing could be achievable by a relatively small group - although a bigger group would also be great Laughing

Key to it all: we would need a clear process of categorisation, so users can find the image they want quickly. Could this form part of an installation package?

I really think that this could be a very useful function to add to OpenOffice.org/ NeoOffice, T. We reckon that it could add to NeoOffice. As for OpenOffice.org, we can't do the programming here for OpenOffice.org, but we could provide a catalogued collection Smile Or are we re-inventing the wheel? Has this already been done, perhaps? Anyone know?

Also, I am sure we would both like some input some input from others here Smile

Over
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject:

aussie149 wrote:
Orgleser wrote:

Thanks T. Yes, I just think the title "looking good" is not going to attract people's attention. Now, how do we get the name changed and this thread moved to a more appropriate category?

Renaming you can actually do yourself, as the thread-starter, by editing your post Wink

Moving is something only members of The Council can do, but consider this thread on its way over to Neo Development Wink

Smokey

The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Quote:

Renaming you can actually do yourself, as the thread-starter, by editing your post Wink

Moving is something only members of The Council can do, but consider this thread on its way over to Neo Development Wink

Smokey

Thanks Smokey Smile Glad you were "listening" Smile

Peter
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Where to put a colllection?

Thomas et al

I see the number of viewers more than doubled overnight - Thanks Smokey! Wink

I have been thinking about ways to make it easy for a user to install a new collection. Because NeoOffice makes a link to each image as it sets up a theme, would it be useful to create a package where the links were the same from your computer to mine to his to hers etc.? Eg you might have an installer create a folder called Library/Application Support/Neo_image, and install all the collection's themes into that [I think someone suggested this earlier]. Alternatively, users could just follow instructions to do the same thing.

You end up with the theme folders inside Library/Application Support/Neo_image. The advantage of this is that it's the same path on everybody's computer. Many of my collections currently are in different spots inside NeoOffice.app, which is hard for the average user to duplicate or get to. This setting up in Library/Application Support is not hard, nor is the setting up of the collection [it takes volunteers time, but once it's done, everybody benefits]. Smile

Now, the tricky bit: where does NeoOffice store the pathways to each image, and can we save and install that information on a new compouter easily? Or does each new user have to set up each theme himself/herself? If we could minimise this step, and have an installer place the links in each person's NeoOffice or preferences, we'd have a winner!

Peter
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Examples

I have put up on this site some examples for consideration. First of all, there's a catalogue of what's in the openclipart.org package. Then, as an example of the next step, I have a catalogue of what's in the wpclipart package. Thirdly, I have a catalogue of some free photographs from a collection by an outstanding Hong Kong photographer at morguefile.com These are just examples to show what can be done. Use these sources appropriately. Please visit these sites and have a look. They are all doing outstanding work. I think they demonstrate that we could put together a very fine package of freely available art and photography, with permissions of course. With a friendly appraoch, that part should be quite achievable.

It would be great to get some feedback here Wink Are we on the right track with this?

Peter
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject:

Peter I am going to view myself through the pics the next days as far as time allows and give a comment later.
Thanks for the job!
T.
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject:

Orgleser wrote:
Peter I am going to view myself through the pics the next days as far as time allows and give a comment later.
Thanks for the job!
T.

Ditto, I'll look at these over the next few days.

Quick thoughts:
1. I think that storing the pictures/graphics should be in a directory in either the Users folder (~/Documents/Clipart ...) OR ? /Library ?
2. I would vote for graphics that best help users create ... Flyers, Business presentations, Newsletters, Greeting Cards and such. Items that most users could quickly paste into something created at Home or in a Samll Business. The catalogue of what's in the openclipart.org package loks like a good start.

Philip (has been thinking about a better Gallery option for NO too! Wink )
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject:

I agree with Philip on 2. Ease of use is what users need most. But putting in a whole gallery like openclipart could be too much. Instead we should in my opinion give a small selection: Some .pngs for business office, some for private correspondence, some for e.g. childs birthday invitations, and, why not some for nature folks and some for space folks. AND then show users an EASY way to get more.
Now two questions:
First: can we consent on this way of doing it? As far as I understand Peters first posts here, we do. Other opinions?
Second: how many .pngs are in a "small" collection? 100? 20 per user interest?

A third question, Peter has already posted has slipped through the audiences eyes without finding an answer yet: Peter (aussi149) asked earlier: Are we re-inventing the wheel? This question has two aspects firstt: Could somebody search www.openoffice.org for gallery projects? Second: even if there already is something useable, how do we/can we integrate this to Neo?
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject:

Two quick points:

A +1 for the stuff Thomas and Philip have said about the contents of the collection, and

A sad FYI that currently (i.e., as of 10.3, which you'll want to support) Installer.app does not allow for you to place files inside the user's directory anywhere using its own functionality. It's a real shame Sad

You can work around this by having Installer.app "install" a zip/tar archive in a temp folder and then run a shell script to actually install the files in ~/Library/App Sup/foo or ~/Documents or whatever, or use an entirely different method of installation (AppleScript, or manual decompress+manual move-the-folders), but not nearly as easy* as generating a normal .pkg, or as elegant. FWIW.

* not that generating a normal .pkg is that easy, at least if you want to do it correctly and not fubar permissions on everyone's Macs, etc. Wink

Smokey

The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Package

I take these points. Thanks for the feedback: from the usual suspects, I note Wink Laughing I'd add that many people need images not just for Writer documents, but also for presentations etc. It's hard to predict every usage. In fact, often people decide to do something because they can ie because such-and-such an image is there.

Having said that, I've gone savagely through the openclipart collection and cut large chunks out. It's currently down to about 1600 images from I think about 8000. I will add in a few things eg a few old masters and a few photographs -eg space-flight ones. The overall size could pan out at around 30MB, which is less than a third of the openclipart download I think. I'll work on this over the next couple of days, Thomas et al, then share that around and we can work out where we go from there, which bits of this might suit etc, what we might need further, what more we can chop out etc.

It looks like I was right: this part will be the easy part. We can probably do this in a week or two, then spend time refining what's in the package, and how it's organised. The hard part will be trying to put it into an installation package that the average user can install. Smokey's injected a dose of cold reality into the issue with his technical understanding. This is the stuff some of us Smile are hopeless with. I'm off to bed now.

Peter
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:33 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I agree with Philip on 2. Ease of use is what users need most. But putting in a whole gallery like openclipart could be too much. Instead we should in my opinion give a small selection: Some .pngs for business office, some for private correspondence, some for e.g. childs birthday invitations, and, why not some for nature folks and some for space folks. AND then show users an EASY way to get more.
Now two questions:
First: can we consent on this way of doing it? As far as I understand Peters first posts here, we do. Other opinions?
Second: how many .pngs are in a "small" collection? 100? 20 per user interest?

Thanks T. What I am working on today is a collection of about 1500-2000 images: only 20% of the openclipart size, and less than 20% of the wpclipart size. I reckon we can meet all our initial needs with this, as a basic collection, and then - as we all agree I think - have some easy instructions for folk to collect lots more from free sites. I have used so far openlcipart [no copyright problems at all]. That gives sketches mainly. I think a collection like this really needs photos / paintings[you agree?] and so have gone to wikimedia commons for art works pre-1900 [again no copyright at all] and wikimedia commons and NASA for space pics [ditto]. I hope to round out the collection with some free photos, mainly of nature , architecture and people.

Headings of folders - mainly the original folder titles from openclipart, reduced:

animals
buildings
computer
containers [not many, but nice]
decorations
education
food
geography
logos [v few]
office
patterns [could go with shapes]
people