Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - which version is better?
which version is better?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goatgirl92
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: which version is better?

Hello,
I was wondering what version of NeoOffice would be better to run on my Mac? Version 1.2.1, or Version 1.1? What is the difference? I have a Mac OSX v. 10.2 operating system on it. Do I need anything else to run it? I have been looking for a word processor and I thought NeoOffice would be good for it. I had OpenOffice on it, but it didn't run because I don't have X11 on it.
Thanks for your help.
goatgirl92
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject:

If you really have reason to stay with OS 10.2 you can not run NeoOffice 1.2 or 1.2.1 because these need OS 10.3 or higher.
But why don't you upgrade to Mac OS 10.3? NeoOffice 1.2.1 is the best version ever of Neo (although 1.1. was very good too). A list of improvements between 1.1. and 1.2 can be found here:http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/NeoOffice_Release_Notes. So if you don't have a very restricted machine my hint would be: Upgrade to MacOS 10.3.9 and run NeoOffice 1.2.1
goatgirl92
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject:

I don't really want to spend the money to upgrade, as this is just my school computer. I just need a better word processor than TextEdit, and I don't want to spend $120 for Office 2004 from Apple. I asked on the forum on the Apple website and they recommended NeoOffice. So will version 1.1 work on my computer? Question
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject:

version 1.1 will work on jaguar (10.2) just fine. yes, there have been improvements, but 1.1 is still a rock-solid program.

good luck to you, let us know if you have more questions.

-j
goatgirl92
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Thanks. I was going to buy the CD because my Mac is not on the internet. Just curious, will NeoOffice work on Windows?
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject:

neooffice does not work on windows. it is the mac port of openoffice.org, so any files it creates will be compatible with the windows versions of openoffice.org.

(you can also save as word and RTF files as well)
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject:

With Neo/J 1.1, be sure to grab Patch-3 for Neo/J 1.1, which fixes a couple of issues with Neo/J 1.1 final build.

Smokey

Red Pill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject:

I also do not want to pay for upgrade from 10.2.8 at this time, but I can confirm that NeoOffice 1.1 has been fine for anything I want to do. (Only complaint is the slow startup first time after turning computer on - have learned to live with that.)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject:

rhb wrote:
I also do not want to pay for upgrade from 10.2.8 at this time, but I can confirm that NeoOffice 1.1 has been fine for anything I want to do. (Only complaint is the slow startup first time after turning computer on - have learned to live with that.)

Cinfirmed, Neo 1.1 has been fine for me also running on OS X 10.2.5 and I don't even think I've run the suggested patch 3 above. What does this patch do, anyway? I'm an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kinda guy so unless some security issue is invoved, I'd like to skip it.
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject:

no security issues, patch -3 simply re-added the 'preferences' option to the 'neooffice' portion of the menu

(and was named patch zero intitially, but changed to patch -3 during the initial java 1.4 patches so that if 1.4 was causing trouble you could re-install patch 3 and go back to the normal neo-1.1 install.)

-j, who is just full of it.
err, information that is.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
no security issues, patch -3 simply re-added the 'preferences' option to the 'neooffice' portion of the menu

(and was named patch zero intitially, but changed to patch -3 during the initial java 1.4 patches so that if 1.4 was causing trouble you could re-install patch 3 and go back to the normal neo-1.1 install.)

-j, who is just full of it.
err, information that is.

OK, thanks for that. Since I'm still on Java 1.3.1, I guess I'll only install patch then if it improves my spelling and proofreading...
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1