Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Diagonal borders?
Diagonal borders?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil99
Sentinel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Diagonal borders?

In the spreadsheet, how can I put diagonal borders in cells?

Thanks. I'm sure it isn't staring me in the face, but...
Neil
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Diagonal borders?

Neil99 wrote:
In the spreadsheet, how can I put diagonal borders in cells?

It depends what you mean by diagonal borders.

If you want a zig-zag border along a range of cells that decend one cell for every one you go along, for instance, you could try the following (I'm doing this in OO.o 2.0 on a PC but it should be similar on NeoOffice)

1. Select the first cell in the range and choose Format Cells... either by right clicking the cell, or from the Format Menu.

2. Click on the Borders tab in the dialogue that appears and set the borders on say the left and bottom of the cell. Click OK

3. Copy the cell you just added the border to.

4. Select the next sell in your diagonal line.

5. Choose Paste Special from the Edit Menu (or right/ctrl-click)

6. Unselect Paste All and then all the other options except Formats.

7. Select the next cell in the diagonal and use the third item on the Edit menu, which should say Repeat:Insert to paste the borders again without using the paste special dialogue.

8. Repeat step 7. until happy.

If I've miss understood what you mean by a diagonal border, then I'm afraid I have no idea how to do it Wink

HTH

Andy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for your reply, Andy, but what I wanted was much simpler. I said 'border' as that is the term used by spreadsheets, but all I meant was a cell border. In format > cells > borders, the line arrangement choices don't include a line diagonally through the cell; only on each side. In Excel you can put a diagonal cross in a cell (which looks like you're crossing out the cell contents. I use it on a calendar to show days crossed off).
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject:

A ha! I fear this is a case of a certain company redefining words. Since when did a border go through the middle of something which it also goes round the outside of?!!

There are two solutions then.

1. Use cell shading instead. ie set the background colour to something other than white (the icon to the right of the borders icon on the toolbar does this).

2. Create a little graphic with the diagonal lines in it and insert it everywhere you want it. (Though I think this will slow down scrolling quite a bit if you use it a lot).

HtH

Andy
Glenner
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject:

It may not be as convenient as in Excel to put a diagonal line through a cell in NeoOffice - at least I am not aware of it. You could use the draw function and possibly set up a macro to achieve the same effect. Personally I would just use a light-grey background (or a lighter font) to achieve this "cross-out" effect. This could also be easily set up through the stylist.

Last edited by Glenner on Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject:

Just to follow-up, I tried my method 2. above and it seems to work pretty well.

I drew an unfilled rectangle with diagonal lines in the drawing module of Neooffice, grouped the three items, copied it and pasted into a spreadsheet. Resized it to fit a cell exactly, then copied and pasted it again so that it will always fit a cell. Seems to work ok. Also you can stretch it to cover as many cells as you want!

Andy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject:

Thanks again Andy.

I did just what you suggested and it works a treat.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1