· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Supermarket discount card data mining systems
Supermarket discount card data mining systems

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Supermarket discount card data mining systems

OK, here in the US at least, it seems every supermarket and their brother has a discount card program (and here I thought the ralphs' card reference in big lebowski was random...). Regardless...

I really want to meet the folk who do their data mining systems.

It's a great idea; you get personalized coupons each time you check out that are either relevant to your purchasing habits or items you've just bought. I've got a couple nice beer and spaghetti sauce discounts this way.

But tonight...I buy beer, spaghetti sauce, and frozen dumplings...and...

I get four coupons for tampons.

I've never bought feminine products, ever, on my ralphs' card. I am not married. I am not even dating anyone, so don't even have a remote need for feminine products. I haven't dated anyone ever since I left the east coast, so I doubt Ralphs' even knows that I even had a girlfriend once. I strongly doubt that frozen Chinese dumplings are strongly associated with tampons. If they are, it'd certainly surprise the bejezzus out of me.

I'd really like to meet the folk in charge of their custom coupon data mining systems. Either they're really brain dead and should be fired, or else they're really smart-ass for trying to send me a hint that I need to dive back into the gene pool after years of waiting on the sidelines in a lounge chair (in which case I'd like to deliver them a nice knuckle sandwich, delivery free of charge within a 15 mile radius)

ed
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Supermarket discount card data mining systems

OPENSTEP wrote:
OK, here in the US at least, it seems every supermarket and their brother has a discount card program (and here I thought the ralphs' card reference in big lebowski was random...). Regardless...

I really want to meet the folk who do their data mining systems.

It's a great idea; you get personalized coupons each time you check out that are either relevant to your purchasing habits or items you've just bought. I've got a couple nice beer and spaghetti sauce discounts this way.

Someone goofed or you got my card!

OPENSTEP wrote:

I've never bought feminine products, ever, on my ralphs' card. I am not married. I am not even dating anyone, so don't even have a remote need for feminine products. I haven't dated anyone ever since I left the east coast, so I doubt Ralphs' even knows that I even had a girlfriend once. I strongly doubt that frozen Chinese dumplings are strongly associated with tampons. If they are, it'd certainly surprise the bejezzus out of me.

There are some really strange associations in those programs. However, I tend to drive them nuts by purchasing two dozen doughnuts and NOTHING else on the card for about three months (one purchase per week.) You should see the coupons I've gone home with...

OPENSTEP wrote:

I'd really like to meet the folk in charge of their custom coupon data mining systems. Either they're really brain dead and should be fired, or else they're really smart-ass for trying to send me a hint that I need to dive back into the gene pool after years of waiting on the sidelines in a lounge chair (in which case I'd like to deliver them a nice knuckle sandwich, delivery free of charge within a 15 mile radius)

Perhaps they are frustrated nerds, like us, that just want to send a joke. However, this one is in very poor taste and they definately deserve to be fired and have to live in a homeless shelter for a while to bring back their humility.

James
Baggypants
Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject:

I know on my clubcard when I was a student, I mainly bought,
chicken, sausages, pizzas, minced beef and black pudding (blood pudding for you accross the pond) and I got a bunch of vouchers for carrots, potatos and broccoli.

I stopped using the card after that Laughing
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like a new virus out there Razz (I'm sure they're running Windows instead of something sensible....)

Smokey

Cipher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject:

It's just as likely that they've got a promotion on some brand of tampons - these vouchers aren't just for your benefit, you know, they're supposed to get you to buy stuff at their store. So mostly it's what you've already bought, but naturally they want you to branch out...

- yoxi
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject:

Even I don't have a mind kinky enough to think of what I would do with a box of tampons besdies being a bizarre conversation piece. I suppose I might be able to MacGyver them into bottle stoppers or perhaps artistic sculpture...but even at a couple bucks off it's not worth it.

ed
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject:

The best thing around if you're subject to nosebleeds... anyway, it's just a random demographic scattergun effect - I haven't bought meat since 1990 but my supermarket still gives me vouchers towards meat cuts 'cos their computer's been told to. Things were much more interesting when I could trade the points in for air miles - got me to Paris twice!

- yoxi
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Supermarket discount card data mining systems

OPENSTEP wrote:

I've never bought feminine products, ever, on my ralphs' card. I am not married. I am not even dating anyone, so don't even have a remote need for feminine products.

LOL! Maybe it is a hint. Some chick at the counter has her eye on you. Or the server that runs this data mining operation also run a dating service?

Actually, when a big supermarket introduced their card program, a lot of people would swap cards after a while and thus confuse the system with sudden changes in buying pattern..

Best wishes,
Oscar

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject:

The other day when I was grabbing a few things, I happened to see that ice cream was on sale buy one, get one free. So I grabbed 2 of the 1.75 qt (!) cartons, along with my cheese, soup, and juice.

The checkout coupon was for...one of those dieting beverages Wink

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1