Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - No Apple 30th Anniversary announcement?!?!
No Apple 30th Anniversary announcement?!?!

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCG
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
JCG wrote:
sardisson wrote:
MacRat wrote:
Geez.

You young pups don't know what life was like before computers.

A calculator that was small enough to run off a 9volt battery was the high tech toy.

Wait until you get some really young pups around here who've never done math manually Wink

Smokey

Who here learned how to use a slide rule? Wink Haven't seen one of those in a while. Razz

Ok, who here actually OWNS one (or better yet, more than one) other than me?

James

I still have mine. Smile
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject:

JCG wrote:
yoxi wrote:
...I've always had a thing about mechanical watches (as opposed to battery-powered)...

Ooh, me, too. And it's almost impossible to buy them these days. I just HATE buying a watch that requires a battery replacement every so often, but I haven't been able to find a new mechanical watch that's inexpensive. Sad

Seiko make a great self-winding mechanical watch for around £35 - I think they bought out Citizen, who made my previous one (which lasted 8 years until I dropped it) because the model is pretty much exactly the same, even down to having French/English day names in the little window next to the date! Bought mine at Argos (a local English phenomenon...)

Oh, and I'm about to have a slipstick again... Smile

- padmavyuha
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject:

I also seem to recall you can get some fun mechanical watches from China. I have a nice wind up one with a waving chairman. Needs some oil for the arm, though.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:07 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
jakeOSX wrote:
sure, it is a good idea, and yeah, probably good that apple is doing it rather than some third party, but reading the reports about it, you'd think the holy grail showed up.

Actually, the most interesting was from my boss who was wondering if this meant we still had to develop Mac software.

Sigh.

I can't wait until the marketing people now clamor to get rid of Mac software saying folks with Macs still have a solution since they can run Windows.

ed

Ouch! Sad

/me keeps his fingers crossed for Ed's job....

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
LemonAid wrote:
Philip (remembers buying his last Sliderule, and the first HP calculator for $350! Wink )

Out of curiousity, was the HP calculator RPN? I can't stand regular calculators any longer and mourn the fact HP's calculator products have just gone off and stagnated.

ed

Yes, I think it was the HP 35 - RPN. The first time a calculator work the same way my mind did. Took out a bank loan so I could use it for my engineering courses. We shared it between 3-4 students each day.
Now I can download an Eng. / Science / Finance calculator for my Treo 650 or Mac for about $35USD. Woo Hoo!

Philip (still has several "slipsticks". They are in boxes somewhere? Wink )
JCG
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:

Seiko make a great self-winding mechanical watch for around £35 - I think they bought out Citizen, who made my previous one (which lasted 8 years until I dropped it) because the model is pretty much exactly the same, even down to having French/English day names in the little window next to the date! Bought mine at Argos (a local English phenomenon...)

- padmavyuha

Hmm...How much is that in US dollars? Doesn't sound exactly cheap to me. Wink I have never seen that particular watch in the places I've looked, either. Is it a men's model only? I would be looking for a women's watch. Smile

I have a very old windup watch in a sealed plastic case (it accidentally went through the wash several times and kept on ticking Razz) that I bought at KMart maybe ten or more years ago for about $7. That's my idea of cheap. Cool But the attachment for the watch band broke, so I can't really wear it, though I still use it, pinned to my work ID badge.

I have my dad's old pocket watch, too, but the winding mechanism keeps breaking, for some reason - I've had it repaired twice, and it's currently residing in my drawer, unused.

The watch I currently wear on my wrist is a battery operated one I bought at the drug store for maybe $15- $25. I have searched in vain for a mechanical watch in a similar, or even slightly more expensive, price range.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject:

As to watches, I think I may have just gone the other route...

I finally got one of those Fossil Wrist PDA watches that's running Palm OS. (they're only like $60 now)

I am now in geek toy heaven. I can program my watch. Woot!

ed
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject:

JCG wrote:
yoxi wrote:

Seiko make a great self-winding mechanical watch for around £35...

Hmm...How much is that in US dollars? Doesn't sound exactly cheap to me. Wink I have never seen that particular watch in the places I've looked, either. Is it a men's model only? I would be looking for a women's watch. Smile

Well it's not just a wind-up watch, it's a self-winder - that means that your body movement winds it (very clever little swinging gimble rotor weight thingy inside the back) and is completely mechanical, unlike the 'automatic' watches that have a solar panel or whatever + are actually digital watches with a motion charger - and cost over £100. You can get a mechanical watch here for around £12, probably a Sekonda from Russia, for example. And my Seiko is a man's model, but I don't know if the others are woman-friendly, take a look here

- padmavyuha
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Older than Apple by miles

MacRat wrote:
Geez.

You young pups don't know what life was like before computers.

A calculator that was small enough to run off a 9volt battery was the high tech toy.

Calculators? New-fangled! I was brought up with slide rules, log books and - eventually - punch cards for computers. I had kids of my own when the Commodore was the must-have computer...This reminds me of a skit ["...hole in the road? You were lucky! We would have killed to live in a hole in the road.."] Thinking back, I hate to think how little computer power was involved in putting a man on the moon, and how that compares to my eMac now!

P
JCG
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
Well it's not just a wind-up watch, it's a self-winder - that means that your body movement winds it (very clever little swinging gimble rotor weight thingy inside the back) and is completely mechanical, unlike the 'automatic' watches that have a solar panel or whatever + are actually digital watches with a motion charger - and cost over £100.

There is another option, you know - the type of watch with that little wind-up thingy on the side...Wink

yoxi wrote:
And my Seiko is a man's model, but I don't know if the others are woman-friendly, take a look here

I'll take a look at that when I have a chance. Smile
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject:

JCG wrote:
There is another option, you know - the type of watch with that little wind-up thingy on the side...Wink

Oh, I know - but then there's a good chance (in my experience) of letting it stop on frequent occasions because I forgot to wind it. The beauty of the self-winder is that you never need to remember to wind it, but you also never need to replace some daft little battery when the watch stops at the most inconvenient possible moment. Just remember to wear the self-winder when you're ill and wave your arms around in bed in a pathetic and heroic manner otherwise your ticker may stop...

I visited Bickling House in Norfolk (England) this weekend and they had a sundial which was a set of stones laid into the footpath, with a tiny bronze instruction plate; I was loojing around for the gnomon (the bit that stands up on a sundial and casts the actual shadow) when I realised that you are meant to stand on one of the stones and be the shadow yourself! Batteries not included (plus, this is England, so when asked what the time is, one would invariably answer 'August' since that's the only time you might actually get a shadow...)

- padmavyuha
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject:

JCG wrote:

Oh, I know - but then there's a good chance (in my experience) of letting it stop on frequent occasions because I forgot to wind it. The beauty of the self-winder is that you never need to remember to wind it, but you also never need to replace some daft little battery when the watch stops at the most inconvenient possible moment. Just remember to wear the self-winder when you're ill and wave your arms around in bed in a pathetic and heroic manner otherwise your ticker may stop...

I visited Blickling House in Norfolk (England) this weekend and they had a sundial which was a set of stones laid into the footpath, with a tiny bronze instruction plate; I was looking around for the gnomon (the bit that stands up on a sundial and casts the actual shadow) when I realised that you are meant to stand on one of the stones and be the shadow yourself! Batteries not included (plus, this is England, so when asked what the time is, one would invariably answer 'August' since that's the only time you might actually get a shadow...)

- padmavyuha
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
JCG wrote:

ROFL! There is something to be said for technology...I'm now addicted to that wrist PDA and when its battery runs out you not only lose the time, but also your financial info, when your business meetings are scheduled, the reminder of your friend's upcoming birthday...

Never did I think I'd have to become religious about charging and backing up my watch Wink

ed
JCG
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:

ROFL! There is something to be said for technology...I'm now addicted to that wrist PDA and when its battery runs out you not only lose the time, but also your financial info, when your business meetings are scheduled, the reminder of your friend's upcoming birthday...

Never did I think I'd have to become religious about charging and backing up my watch Wink

ed

I could totally see myself becoming addicted to something like that...which is why I'm not getting one anytime soon. Wink
mith
Agent

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
sardisson wrote:
Personally, I was hoping Steve woke up and decided to send you and Patrick lots of fast new Macs and some of his spare change so that Neo development could go faster Wink

Right. What I wonder is when Apple's managers figure out that NeoOffice is taking a large chunk of revenue away from them. Think of it this way: NeoOffice currently has about 150,000 downloads a month (!!!). Let's be conservative and assume that 20% of these people would have bought AppleWorks or iWork if NeoOffice didn't exist. That would be $79 x 30,000 or nearly $2.4 million revenue lost per month that users get to keep. While this is small potatoes for Apple as a whole, this is a significant amount of lost revenue for a single product.

Patrick

Patrick, you should charge 1 USD per download.. Downloads would slow down (and your costs too!) and it would also give you a decent and deserved pay!
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4