Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Wiki support page ("NeoOffice Support")
Wiki support page ("NeoOffice Support")

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:03 am    Post subject: Wiki support page ("NeoOffice Support")

Hi Smokey,
I just had a short look on your idea for a general support page in the wiki. I think, this is a very good idea! It gives users one place where to look first for any questions!
Would you think to add a point "support in other languages" there, and add, for the beginning, what we discussed in the german language support thread in the development forum(page 2 of this thread)?
As said there, people with other languages could easily take our modell and add their thing too. In french we already had a case in the support forum in the last days, it seems to have worked very good there.
Regards
Thomas
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject:

Sure.

My hope is, though, that the "NeoOffice Support" page will get translated into each language and will be featured on the Main Page for each language--and eventually that all of the linked articles will be translated; some of them are in French and some are in German now--so that the English support page will really only have English text on it....

I've also slightly tweaked the "Generic" (Langname Support) text, so the German version will need a few changes at some point.

Smokey

sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
My hope is, though, that the "NeoOffice Support" page will get translated into each language and will be featured on the Main Page for each language--and eventually that all of the linked articles will be translated; some of them are in French and some are in German now--so that the English support page will really only have English text on it....

Yes I aggree, the english page should stay english and support for other languages should have pages of their own. I can't promise to do the translations for german - but as a beginning is made, perhaps someone will.

Quote:
I've also slightly tweaked the "Generic" (Langname Support) text, so the German version will need a few changes at some point.

Smokey

Afaics the first part of the german version can stay as it is.
The whole second part "For any queries ..." reads in german now:
"Für alle Anfragen, die sich auf Spezifika von NeoOffice beziehen und nicht auf OpenOffice.org (generell betrifft das die Bereiche, in denen NeoOffice mit MacOS X interagiert, z.B. beim Drucken), durchsuchen sie bitte zuerst dieses NeoOffice-Wiki - ggf. auch die weiter ausgearbeitete englische NeoWiki-Version -, bevor Sie eine Frage in den Trinity-Foren posten. Die Sprache der Trinity-Foren ist Englisch, es finden sich jedoch regelmäßig deutschsprachige Forumsteilnehmer ein, die bei eventuellen Übersetzungsproblemen helfen können."
Thanks for all your work,
T.
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject:

Wow, Smokey, that was fast! GREAT!
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Ok, the page is pretty fleshed out in terms of what I think should be there....

It's a little long (but remember only 1 of those first paragraphs will be there on any given version of the page), but it basically unifies our all of our support/FAQs on one page that isn't toooo wordy (hopefully)

I'd appreciate feedback, suggestions, changes, answers to the bits that I still have as "(questions?)", etc., either in this thread or, if you have a wiki account, on the page itself.

Smokey

sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject:

I like what I see:). Looks like a great thing, because - as you said - support can easily be found with only one place to start searching! I strongly aggree with that!

Some suggestions (hope they are useful):

I think there is a kind of a dublette on the page now: The first paragraph (English/Langname/Deutscher Support) as well as the "How Do I Find Information on Other Usage Questions?"-section talk about places to find information, especially NeoWiki, Trinity an OO.o support pages and gives links to them. Perhaps we could shorten the first paragraph by giving there - for the OO.o part - one link to the "How do I Find Information ..." saying "For Links Look Here"?

The first sentences of "How do I ..." (those in italics) repeat something known: "Note that most questions ..." is already said in the first paragraph, that will not be far away, when the languages are seperated. I think repeating this would not be necessary here.

The rest of this wikipage consists of links. Exceptions are the first paragraph, which needs to give informations and should remain text, and the section "How Do I Find Information on Other Usage Questions?" (btw: "on" should be "On" here). This last one does break the "logics" of the page somehow. Shouldn't this be a page of its own and only a link be given on the central support page?

For the questions you left open:
- "(Do we need anything else?)": At the moment, I personally do not see anything else that should be there.
- "(Maybe we put "donations" and "registration" and whatnot here, instead of in first launch?)": I personally would leave them where they are, because they should be seen at first launch. One could consider to bring a link into the support area saying "If you appreciate our support, please consider donating..."
- "(How to know if there's a new patch?)": belongs to the patches section above in my view
- "(Reporting problems, contributing, developing ?)" Is this not partly covered by the following link (reporting problems in Neo)? For contributing and developing I would say the same as I did above for donating/registering: These are steps of its own, but on support there may be a link to them.

As for german, here:[url=http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/De:Installationsprobleme_und_Lösungen]Installationsprobleme_und_Lösungen[/url] and elsewhere in the german wiki version still descriptions for Neo 1.1 are found. "German" would need an actualisation. I know that I personally will not have time and ressources to work over that. Would it be possible to ask e.g. Yessica, whether she would like to work over that again (pm, e-mail?)?

Regards,
T.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Orgleser wrote:
I like what I see:). Looks like a great thing, because - as you said - support can easily be found with only one place to start searching! I strongly aggree with that!

Some suggestions (hope they are useful):

They were very useful; thanks!

Orgleser wrote:
The first sentences of "How do I ..." (those in italics) repeat something known: "Note that most questions ..." is already said in the first paragraph, that will not be far away, when the languages are seperated. I think repeating this would not be necessary here.

Well, as Patrick says, repetition is good, and the more times we tell them to search trinity and the wiki and oooforum.org before asking questions, the better, IMO. So a little bit of repetition should be ok Wink

Orgleser wrote:
The rest of this wikipage consists of links. Exceptions are the first paragraph, which needs to give informations and should remain text, and the section "How Do I Find Information on Other Usage Questions?" (btw: "on" should be "On" here). This last one does break the "logics" of the page somehow. Shouldn't this be a page of its own and only a link be given on the central support page?

No, we want to get these external resources on the same page; remember, this page is supposed to be a one-stop shop for common support questions/resources Smile (and "on" doesn't get capitalized in English, since it's too short a word and not a verb Wink )

If the page--and the English/langname Support paragraphs--are OK, I'd like to get the new German translation for that paragraph (moved to the Discussion/Talk page atm) and then take the page live.

(And then start updating the wiki for NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha Early Access... :sigh: our work is never done....)

Smokey

sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject:

Hi Smokey,
In my eyes everything is ok, that is a great page now

The german paragraph now reads:

Da NeoOffice eine Portierung von OpenOffice.org für MacOS X ist, können die meisten Fragen des täglichen Gebrauchs von NeoOffice mithilfe der deutschen Support-Seiten von OpenOffice.Org gelöst werden (siehe die Hyperlinks unter [add url]Wie finde ich Informationen über andere Fragen des Gebrauchs[add url ending]). Beachten Sie bitte, dass NeoOffice 1.2.x den Code von OpenOffice 1.1.5 nutzt, Tipps und Hinweise für OpenOffice 2.x sind für NeoOffice 1.2.x nicht immer anwendbar.
Für alle Anfragen, die sich auf Spezifika von NeoOffice beziehen und nicht auf OpenOffice.org (generell betrifft das die Bereiche, in denen NeoOffice mit MacOS X interagiert, z.B. beim Drucken), durchsuchen sie bitte zuerst dieses NeoOffice-Wiki - ggf. auch die weiter ausgearbeitete englische NeoWiki-Version -, bevor Sie eine Frage in den Trinity-Foren posten. Die Sprache der Trinity-Foren ist Englisch, es finden sich jedoch regelmäßig deutschsprachige Forumsteilnehmer ein, die bei eventuellen Übersetzungsproblemen helfen können.

Now, the "How do (Do?) I Find Information on Other Usage Questions"-section remains to be germanized. I will be away for a few days, perhaps I later have time to do that, but if someone else has done when I am back, I would be happy. The links for that can be found mostly at http://de.openoffice.org/probleme.html, and please do not forget to add the www.ooowiki.de.
Regards, T.

Edit: minor corrections
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject:

Orgleser wrote:
Hi Smokey,
In my eyes everything is ok, that is a great page now

Great!

Orgleser wrote:
Now, the "How do (Do?) I Find Information on Other Usage Questions"-section remains to be germanized. I will be away for a few days, perhaps I later have time to do that, but if someone else has done when I am back, I would be happy. The links for that can be found mostly at http://de.openoffice.org/probleme.html, and please do not forget to add the www.ooowiki.de.
Regards, T.

Yessica has been doing a lot of updating of the German wiki recently, so I'm sure once I post the English page live (later this afternoon, if there are no contrary comments before then) and "stub in" the German page, it will get properly updated Wink

Thanks again for all your help on this (and all the others who contributed on the earlier thread, too), and I hope you have a nice time away Smile

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject:

The document is now live and linked from the Main Page on all 3 wikis. The French and German versions still need most of the text to be translatated, localized OOo support sites added to the "More info on usage questions" section, and the actual FAQ links pointed to the fr/de versions of those articles/answers in the wiki.

Smokey

Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject:

=) you guys are great.
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject:

A big "Thank you!" to Yessica!
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Orgleser wrote:
A big "Thank you!" to Yessica!

Indeed!

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject:

I just "updated" that page for 2.0 Alpha, pointing to OOo 2.0 references where applicable, etc.

I updated the "French" version because the French version hasn't actually been translated into French or pointed at the NeoWikiFR articles, but the German version needs a couple of minor updates.

For reference, the diff to the English version is here.

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1