The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: OpenOffice.org®

Eric Bachard wrote:
Patrick,

OpenOffice.org is copyrighted ...

May you have a look at this post :
http://marketing.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=22929

I stand corrected: OpenOffice.org is now a registered trademark. However, NeoOffice does not violate OpenOffice.org's trademark as our product name does not include OpenOffice.org in it nor do we claim to own any portion of OpenOffice.org. Saying that we have all the features included in OpenOffice.org or that NeoOffice is based on the OpenOffice.org code is not a violation of trademark law. In fact, Sun puts the NeoOffice trademark in several of their sales press releases each year. Since they mention NeoOffice as an OpenOffice.org substitute/compatible product, they have not violated the NeoOffice trademark.

If making a reference or comparison was a violation of trademark law, Sun would not be able to say that OpenOffice.org reads and write Microsoft Office documents or companies would not be able to say that their products uses Java (both of these are registered trademarks). However, if I called my product "Java Office", then that would be a violation of trademark law.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: OpenOffice.org®

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
Here is what I see, Eric. Please take this as constructive critism from a friend and not an enemy.

Can everyone please stop second guessing what someone else thinks? You may be right, but that does not mean you're solving the debate.

The basic facts as far as I see them:

* NeoOffice people have been somewhat insensitive in the way the website is phrased.

* NeoOffice is way further along in development than the native OOo port.

* OpenOffice needs resources.

* Patrick needs cash so we can all have the joys of OpenOffice.org functionality on plain Macs ASAP.

Now can we please get back to fixing that last problem?

Good night,
Oscar

Felho

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Drinks...

I pass around a virtual round of drinks that we all enjoy together! I am buying this round they are on me. Wink
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: OpenOffice.org®

ovvldc wrote:

* Patrick needs cash so we can all have the joys of OpenOffice.org functionality on plain Macs ASAP.

Now can we please get back to fixing that last problem?

Good night,
Oscar

Fully aggreed. (Although the last debate may have contributed some clearness on trademark useage of OOo).
Btw, as I said something different before: I am convinced now, "early access" may be one step to this.
Regards
T.
Max
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Drinks...

Felho wrote:
I pass around a virtual round of drinks that we all enjoy together! I am buying this round they are on me. Wink

Not thirsty just now - so I've dropped another donation to Patrick instead.

Looking forward to Neo2!

Max
Eric Bachard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: NeoOffice Is not OpenOffice.org

Patrick,

Looking at Neo site, you put "OpenOffice.org for Mac OSX "just under the word NeoOffice (on left).

This leads the people reading that to be confused, and believe you are OpenOffice.org. This is intentionnal, and wrong.

You perfectly understand what I mean, I don't know if this is your work, but this is clearly not honest from NeoOffice project.

If you really respect OpenOffice.org project copyright like you pretend, please fix that.

For the other : Mac port is not "my" project like I read above, but a community project.

I now have understood the node of everything is Java and won't comment further ...

End Of Topic for me
--
Eric Bachard
Skeptical

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Erich Brachard - Guest ???

Is it just me or do we have to way to know that this guy really is Eric Bachard ?
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Eric,

Patrick did not design NeoOffice.org, I did. I will look it over and re-address some of your concerns within the next few days.

-jacob
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
Eric,

Patrick did not design NeoOffice.org, I did. I will look it over and re-address some of your concerns within the next few days.

-jacob

Jake,

You are more than welcome to copy any of the layout that I use on the planamesa.com/neojava site. If it helps, I really don't think we even need to mention OpenOffice.org in the header of the page as I haven't used it in my page headers for over a year now.

Patrick <-- reminding himself to actually look at the www.neooffice.org page once in a while
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject:

While I really hate the fact that we're feeding the trolls here and have gotten way off topic...

We don't claim to be OpenOffice.org.

We're better. And we've got newer weapons.

Oh, and who wrote that code you're working on to begin with? Hrm. You really need to learn how to respect your elders.

The point is that open source leads to synergy and competition out of which evolves a better product for all. If you're so upset that someone else gets to work on the same code, you definitely have a thing or two to learn about what "open source" means.

And please stop trolling in random threads. It's not polite.

ed

Last edited by OPENSTEP on Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Erich Brachard - Guest ???

Skeptical wrote:
Is it just me or do we have to way to know that this guy really is Eric Bachard ?

The IP address 82.250.193.6 traceroutes back to France.

Yes, all IPs here are logged. Don't be surprised.

ed
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
While I really hate the fact that we're feeding the trolls here and have gotten way off topic...

We don't claim to be OpenOffice.org.

Ed:

Patrick, you, others and me never have claimed to be OpenOffice.org. Also, what is the trademark date for NeoOffice?

OPENSTEP wrote:

We're better. And we've got newer weapons.

Maybe not better, but the weapons we use are different.

OPENSTEP wrote:

Oh, and who wrote that code you're working on to begin with? Hrm. You really need to learn how to respect your elders.

Hmmm. Let's see, I bought a copy of K&R's c A programming guide in 1982 to learn how to program with Little 'c' on a TRS-80 Model III. This is AFTER I learnt how to program in FORTRAN, APL and COBOL. If I still remembered how to work in any of these languages, I would be demanding a six USD figure salary...

OPENSTEP wrote:

The point is that open source leads to synergy and competition out of which evolves a better product for all. If you're so upset that someone else gets to work on the same code, you definitely have a thing or two to learn about what "open source" means.

I agree. Synergy happens when we FREELY exchange ideas. You should see the team that I'm working with. We work well together and, yes, I'm one of the JUNIOR members of the team. We all respect our realitive spaces and are not afraid to ask for different opinions. This way we put out a SUPERIOR product. That is the idea behind what we do. If someone comes forth with 'You cannot do that' we ask why and we LISTEN. We don't go out blindly after this trying to prove anyone else wrong. We just look for a better way within the rules.

OPENSTEP wrote:

And please stop trolling in random threads. It's not polite.

Fourty lashes have been applied to myself with a wide lasagana noodle...

And I'm with the crowd, let's fix that File Picker.....

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice Is not OpenOffice.org

Eric Bachard wrote:
Looking at Neo site, you put "OpenOffice.org for Mac OSX "just under the word NeoOffice (on left).

This leads the people reading that to be confused, and believe you are OpenOffice.org. This is intentionnal, and wrong.

Eric,

I really hate to admit it, but you are right correct that having "NeoOffice - OpenOffice.org for Mac" is confusing (I rarely look at that page and I wrongly assumed you were talking about the www.planamesa.com/neojava pages).

Anyway, I have changed the heading on www.neooffice.org to remove any wording that implies that we are the official OpenOffice.org.

Patrick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice Is not OpenOffice.org

So the next question is, when can I pay for my pre-release of Neo 2.0? Razz
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Oh I'm sure there's a native cocoa port that could very well fulfill your needs...

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8