NeoOffice :: View topic - OOo and Java 1.5
OOo and Java 1.5

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject:

Nope. As long as Java 1.4.x is still installed on your Mac, NeoOffice will find it and use it regardless of what your default JVM is.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject:

Kick ass! I'm not losing my mind. Given recent events I was beginning to doubt that...

As for the reason we lock to a specific VM, well, it's because not all VMs are created equal, not across vendors and not even between vendors. Often times we have to find workarounds for limitations in Java itself or pecularities with a specific version of virtual machine.

It's similar to how 1.1 and prior will still use the old Carbon 1.3 VM if it's around and, in fact, requires it due to some of the VM hacks in it.

ed
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject:

Thanks you two,

You ROCK more than ... Rock stars.

Philip ( 5 days until 2.OH alpha Wink )
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:
( 5 days until 2.OH alpha Wink )

Damn. I've got a lot of web page updating still left to do. Sad
toonetown
Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject:

I don't know how it translates to the Mac - but I know that OpenOffice 2 on 64-bit Linux would run EXTREMELY slow when it had a 1.5 JVM. The solution (for Linux anyway) was to disable java within OpenOffice.

See:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-393707.html

Again - this was with OpenOffice 2 (not 1.x), with Sun's 1.5 JVM on a 64-bit Linux - so the reasons for it being slow might not still exist on the Mac with NeoOffice - but it might be worth looking into...

-Nathan
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject:

NeoOffice will select which version of Java is used, and that will prevail over whatever the system specifies. I have the latest Java update (Release 4) which sets the default Java to 1.5, and NeoOffice runs fine ...
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
NeoOffice will select which version of Java is used, and that will prevail over whatever the system specifies. I have the latest Java update (Release 4) which sets the default Java to 1.5, and NeoOffice runs fine ...

This is correct. Also, note that one difference between OOo 2.0 and NeoOffice 2.0 is that OOo will allow Java 1.5 whereas I added code to NeoOffice to only allow Java 1.4.x. I did this because there are some focus and printing issues with Java 1.5 with NeoOffice.

Patrick[/i]
poushag

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: What about future macs shipping with Leopard?

I am buying a new mac this year. There will come a time when new machines won't have Java 1.4 included, probably when Leopard comes out. Have you thought about how to make it easy for users to get it? For example, why not put a link up on the download page? Even if there is a download currently provided by Apple or someone else, have you considered that it may be removed? So could you host your own download of the Java 1.4 runtime for OSX?
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: What about future macs shipping with Leopard?

poushag wrote:
I am buying a new mac this year. There will come a time when new machines won't have Java 1.4 included, probably when Leopard comes out. Have you thought about how to make it easy for users to get it? For example, why not put a link up on the download page? Even if there is a download currently provided by Apple or someone else, have you considered that it may be removed? So could you host your own download of the Java 1.4 runtime for OSX?

No java 1.4? I would be surprised. Most of this stuff is cumulative. I could see that they want to lose 1.3, because it is carbon-based and that is deprecated, but 1.4 seems strange. What is your source for this?

best wishes,
Oscar

Baggypants
Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Guest wrote:
Now that we Mac users have Boot Camp, when is the Neo port to Windoze due? j/k :wink

Oh no, we can't have that. Do you want to ruin something as nice as NeoOffice by running it on Windows?

That is like putting a prime grilled steak in the middle a pile of mushy french fries. It will provide sustenance, but so much is lost..

best wishes,
Oscar

I guess you could use .Net to interface the java stuff like the menubar so its in the app window instead of at the top of the display. ofcourse using Java + .Net may make the memory footprint a little bigger

Then later someone would have to build some sort of widgit layer on top of Eds HiTheme work.

I suggest maybe the first step should be porting Neo to use X11 so we can maybe run it in an X server on Windows, just to kick things off, and maybe hope that Apple will finance the project
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I suggest maybe the first step should be porting Neo to use X11 so we can maybe run it in an X server on Windows

Sure. And then we can port this X11 stuff to Windows-native stuff, and we end up with OpenOffice.org for Windows with a few minor differences and labeled as NeoOffice ... blue tabs, scrollbars and icons won't magically appear under Windows.
doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject:

Baggypants wrote:

I guess you could use .Net to interface the java stuff like the menubar so its in the app window instead of at the top of the display. ofcourse using Java + .Net may make the memory footprint a little bigger

Then later someone would have to build some sort of widgit layer on top of Eds HiTheme work.

I suggest maybe the first step should be porting Neo to use X11 so we can maybe run it in an X server on Windows, just to kick things off, and maybe hope that Apple will finance the project

Yes, and meanwhile we absolutely should get rid of that abhorrent Aqua UI, so I personally suggest to develop a command line version of NeoOffice. Could be also then very much easily ported to NetBSD, FreeBSD & about 100 billion different UN*X flavours.

Martin
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I personally suggest to develop a command line version of NeoOffice.

That sounds great ...

Smile
Code:
user$ neooffice open writer odt /Users/user/Documents/writerdocument.odt
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject:

what would a command line neo do? i am so confused.

is that like a loud ninja?
a liquid igloo?

a DULL TOMAHAWK??

-j
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject:

Quote:
what would a command line neo do? i am so confused.

I guess Writer would be pretty much like a commnad-line text editor, but with a Word processor's features; the rest of the suite, I don't know. Of course, NeoOffice help would be replaced by man neooffice Smile
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3