· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice/J 0.7 patch available
NeoOffice/J 0.7 patch available

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject: NeoOffice/J 0.7 patch available

I have fixed many of the NeoOffice/J 0.7 bugs that have been reported in Bugzilla so I felt it was time to post a patch for testing.

If you are interested in testing the new patch, you can download the lastest patch binaries and install them in an existing NeoOffice/J 0.7 installation using the following steps:

- If you have not already installed NeoOffice/J 0.7, download and install it from:
http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=4
- Download the latest patch binaries from:
http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/downloads/temp/NeoOfficeJ-0.7-patch-1.tar.gz
- Open a new terminal and execute the following commands to unzip the file:
Code:
cd <NeoJ installation directory>/NeoOfficeJ.app
sudo tar zxvf <path to downloaded *.tar.gz file>

For those of you that are interested, here is a list of the most visible changes:

1. Printing now uses much less memory. Also, printing will create a PDF file with images at the maximum resolution set in "Print" configuration item in the Tools->Options menu item.

2. I think that I have fixed that problem in Panther where you cannot select a keyboard from the Apple system menu. Could someone running Panther verify that this patch fixes this problem?

3. Fixes for all of the bugs marked "Resolved" in bugzilla except bugs #13 and #18 are in this patch. Bugs #13 and #18 are fixed, but they are installer fixes so they won't be seen until I do a new release.

I will probably push a 0.7.1 release in a week or so if no major problems are found in this patch. So, if you find a bug in this patch or one of the existing bugs has not been fixed, please update Bugzilla.

Patrick
schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:00 pm    Post subject: Patch doesn't work on my machine

Patrick,

I've installed the patch, but it didn't work on my machine. When I double-click NeoOffice/J, I get only a white box on the screen and NeoOffice/J hangs.

I'm using 10.3.1.

Thomas
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Thomas,

Stupid me! I forget to put the classes/vcl.jar file in the patch.

I have just recreated the patch file and uploaded to my website.

Can you redownload the patch file and try it again?

Patrick
schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:51 pm    Post subject: Patch now ok

Patrick,

I've downloaded the patch again and it works now.

Thomas
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Thomas,

Since you are running Panther, can you test one thing for me?

Open System Preferences -> International, click on the "Input Menu" tab, and select 2 or more keyboards. Then, restart NeoJ. If everything is working properly you should see a flag icon on the system menubar that you can use to change the keyboard layout. Try changing the layout and see if NeoJ responds to the new layout.

Thanks,

Patrick
schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Patrick,

NeoOffice/J doesn't respond to changes of the keyboard layout. I've tested with German/U.S. English/Russian.

I've made a test with Apple's TextEdit to proof keyboard switching in general, and it works there.

Thomas
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Thomas,

Are there any exceptions or errors in the console (i.e. in /var/tmp/console.log)?

I am stumped as to why Java 1.3.1 will not switch keyboards on Panther.

Patrick
schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Patrick,

I didn't watch the language flag in NeoOffice/J. But I do it now Wink

When I change the language when, for example, TextEdit is in the foreground, I can change the language and the flag changes. If I try the same with NeoOffice/J in the foreground, nothing happens.

When I change the lange from german to U.S. english in TextEdit and then change to NeoOffice/J, the flag and keyboard layout in NeoOffice/J changes to U.S. english, too. When I do the same with german to russian, it doesn't work.

So I can conclude:
- Changing the language setting with NeoOffice/J as active app isn't possible
- Changing the language setting in other Applications, like TextEdit, were applied in NeoOffice/J (flag an keyboard layout), but not with all languages. German and English, for example works, Russian (cyrillic letters) not.

I didn't find any hints in the /Library/Logs/Console/thomas/console.log to that problem.

Thomas
jimlaurent
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject:

I downloaded an installed the patch on 11/17 at 16:30 PM. Unfortunately I don't see any changes in behavior. Among the bugs that still exist are:

Click and hold on menus doesn't work.
Single click causes two page actions
Neo/J uses 10% of 400 MHz CPU

What am I doing wrong?

Here's the "log" of my install.

[Jim-Laurents-Computer:/Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app] jlaurent% sudo tar zxvf ../*.tar.gz
Password:
MacOS/libsal.dylib.3.0.1
MacOS/libvcl641mxp.dylib
MacOS/classes/vcl.jar
MacOS/setup
[Jim-Laurents-Computer:/Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app] jlaurent% ls -l Mac*
total 8456
drwxr-xr-x 3 root admin 102 17 Nov 16:20 classes
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root admin 1834888 17 Nov 14:06 libsal.dylib.3.0.1
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root admin 2483592 17 Nov 14:06 libvcl641mxp.dylib
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root admin 5417 17 Nov 14:06 setup
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Jim,

I think my brain function must be very low today. The problem is that when I updated the patch file, I zipped in the wrong directory. So, when you unzip it accordingly to my instructions, it puts all of the files in a new directory that NeoJ doesn't use. If I had done this correctly, the updated files would appear in the Contents/MacOS subdirectory instead of the MacOS subdirectory.

I just uploaded an updated patch file that I zipped in the correct directory. Please redownload and see if this one works.

Thomas,

Can you see if this is why you were seeing the keyboard bug on Panther?

Patrick
jimlaurent
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Excellent,

As you say, the majority of reported bugs appear to be fixed. Neo/J starts up much faster now (50 seconds) nearly on par with OO. It uses MUCH less CPU time (1.4% on my 400 Mhz imac) and seems much more responsive (perhaps because the menus actually work correctly now.)

It's also faster (though could be better) on my architectural drawings with lots of lines. Still have the problem when printing, if you "CANCEL" on the first dialog, you have to CANCEL again on the OS X print dialog.

Great work. Thanks Patrick.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:43 pm    Post subject:

jimlaurent wrote:
It's also faster (though could be better) on my architectural drawings with lots of lines. Still have the problem when printing, if you "CANCEL" on the first dialog, you have to CANCEL again on the OS X print dialog.

In a flash of inspiration (and luck), I found where OOo was returning "OK" when you press "Cancel" in the print options dialog. I have posted an updated patch that includes this fix here:

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/downloads/temp/NeoOfficeJ-0.7-patch-2.tar.gz

Now if I can get the keyboard layout switching to work on Panther, I'll be ready to push out the 0.7.1 release and start working on copy and paste.

Patrick
Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject:

schlesi wrote:
- Changing the language setting in other Applications, like TextEdit, were applied in NeoOffice/J (flag an keyboard layout), but not with all languages. German and English, for example works, Russian (cyrillic letters) not.

I did not receive my copy of Panther yet so, just to be sure: when testing the keymap inside Neo/J, did you select a font with cyrillic glyphs ?
schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Max,

I didn't select a cyrilic font. After your hint, I've tried "Times CY", and it works Wink

Thomas
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Thomas,

Can you try one more test? I want to see if Japanese input works.

To test Japanese, try the following steps:

1. In Systems->Preferences->Input Menu, select the keyboard that has a red circle which a small red Apple logo superimposed on it. It's name is 3 Japanese characters.

2. In Systems->Preferences->Lanugages, select English or German as your language and "Roman" as your script.

3. Start NeoJ and select one of the "Hiragino" fonts.

4. Select the Japanese keyboard symbol to switch the keyboard layout. A new menu will appear (it looks like a pencil) in the system menubar. Press Control-Shift-J to select the appropriate keyboard.

5. Type some characters. A one-line window should appear at the bottom of the screen that contains your key input. Pressing enter will flush the input to NeoJ.

If you see Japanese characters in your NeoJ document, then things are working correctly.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6