Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - a question about openoffice/neooffice 2.0 debugging
a question about openoffice/neooffice 2.0 debugging

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fabriziovenerandi
Keymaker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject: a question about openoffice/neooffice 2.0 debugging

I try sometimes to use Oo 2.0 mac x11 to see how it work and I was trying to import some of my works to Oo 2.0 to be ready for the neooffice 2.0

Well, I find a *lot* of problems (often bugs), in Oo 2.0 and I'm asking to myself: if I see a bug in Oo 2.0 mac x11, I'll see it in neooffice 2.0 too? Patrick will debug those kind of bugs?

Moving from neooffice to openoffice x11 2.0 is actually a insanity: control's form disappers; there is no way to import queries; dragging 'n drop from calc to base, datas are stored in wrong field (!); rescaling and moving open/save window cause window goes out of screen deleting the piece of the window out of screen; several crash accessing data... et ceterae.

Now, from a user point of view I can not fill bugs for neooffice AND for a real instable openoffice 2.0, I can use only one of those programs and I can report bugs only for one of those. But actually Oo 2.0 is too instable, so I don't understand how, when, and with whom can I cooperate for the debugging.

No flame inside!

f.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject:

First of all, are you sure you have the latest stable build ( http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/2.0.x.html ) of OOo (X11) ?

Then, some of the "bugs" you mention may in fact not be bugs. Since OOo (X11) is not really a "native" Mac OS X application, there are a lot of things that won't work like they do in NeoOffice. For example, OOo doesn't use Mac fonts, so you'll find that there will be differences between document opened with Neo and the same docs opened in OOo (for example, more text will fit on the same page in OOo, sometimes modifiying the way your documents look. Neo alos uspport native drag-and-drop, whereas OOo won't (and yet people keep asking us why we use and/or support NeoOffice instead of OpenOffice.org).

Patrick won't fix bugs in the underlying OpenOffice.org 2.0 code, but anything related to the UI or Mac support (fonts, drag-and-drop, etc.) will be NeoOffice-specific (for the most part).
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject:

fabrizio,

I would recommend submitting your findings to the mac@porting list. if they are issues unknown, bugs as well. most of these things are part of the oo.o code and not fixed by patrick.

also, for the latest release, go to

ftp://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/MacOSX

the RC4 has been QAed for english and some of the other languages, and has many fixes over what is availible on the main oo.o page.

-j
fabriziovenerandi
Keymaker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the answer. I think I have the last version, where can I read the build number? I do not undertsand how to subscribe mailing list, in the Oo mac x11 site I only see a page with the link to send an empty message to the list.

About the bugs and problems, after more deep test using Oo 2.0 for windows and testing it again with neooffice, I can say those problems and bugs are less I feel in my yesterday's (unlucky) test.

f.

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject:

fabriziovenerandi wrote:
Thanks for the answer. I think I have the last version, where can I read the build number? I do not undertsand how to subscribe mailing list, in the Oo mac x11 site I only see a page with the link to send an empty message to the list.

That link does not send an empty message to the list, but rather the list administrator. This will subscribe you to the MacOSX OpenOffice.org mailing list.

fabriziovenerandi wrote:

About the bugs and problems, after more deep test using Oo 2.0 for windows and testing it again with neooffice, I can say those problems and bugs are less I feel in my yesterday's (unlucky) test.

You can also post them to the OpenOffice X11 Testing forum here. It is read by the major people for the X11 project. If you find a problem that affects all of the versions, MacOSX X11 and Windows, then please join the Quality Assurance (QA) mailing list.

Thank you.

James
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject:

just want to add to what James said, if you (you being anyone reading this, not just f.) want to report things, but don't want to join the mailing list, just use the X11 fora below. If anything, I will make sure to pass the word on myself.

-j
fabriziovenerandi
Keymaker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject:

Thanks for all the answers.
Today I installed Oo 2.0 for windows and I found all the bugs I found except one are openoffice 2.0 bug, and not openoffice mac x11 bugs. I apologize for my yesterday's message.

After the test I think Oo 2.0 is too young for me to move my work on it. It is too instable and many things are not working in base section.

The other problem is that give feedback for Oo 2.0 takes me a lot of time: I have to found the bug on Oo 2.0 x11, test in on neooffice, switch to another machine to test on windows version, make screenshots and write in english a message that try to explain the problem.
I can not use all this time at work, and I have no time at home.

f.

Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject:

=) indeed it may take a bit of time, but here is the good part, you don't have to do it yourself.

when you find these things, just post them, there are others (like me) who will help!

Better to know, even a little, than to not. right?

-j
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
=) indeed it may take a bit of time, but here is the good part, you don't have to do it yourself.

when you find these things, just post them, there are others (like me) who will help!

And there are those of us that 'straddle the fence' and work on both projects. If there is a problem with NeoOffice that ends up being a problem in OpenOffice, you get two things:

1. Confirmation that the problem does exist in NeoOffice
2. That the problem is OpenOffice.org related and not a problem in
NeoOffice.

If we can confirm that the error exists in more than one platform, this is better.

James
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1