Welcome to NeoOffice developer notes and announcements
NeoOffice
Developer notes and announcements
 
 

Download or installation problems? Try these steps
Problems after upgrading to NeoOffice 2022? Try these steps


Support
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki


Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice


Downloads
· Download NeoOffice


RSS Feeds
· Announcements Only
· All Posts


  
NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha PowerPC Release Details
NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha PowerPC Release Details
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
fabriziovenerandi
Keymaker


Joined: Oct 12, 2004
Posts: 77
Location: italia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw: if I fill bugs in issuezilla, I could be sure (if these will be solved) that there will be another x11 version that pluby can use for neooffice 2.x? I read somewhere that after the intel x11 version the Oo staff will work only on cocoa version. So, I do not want to fill bugs in issuezilla that will be used only in linux and windows version, and not in neooffice version (I do not believe in a cocoa version until I see a working version, I'm still waiting the 1.1.x one).
I'm missing something?

Thank you.

f.

_________________
eadem sed non eodem modo facere
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
pluby
The Architect
The Architect


Joined: Jun 16, 2003
Posts: 11932

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fabriziovenerandi wrote:
btw: if I fill bugs in issuezilla, I could be sure (if these will be solved) that there will be another x11 version that pluby can use for neooffice 2.x? I read somewhere that after the intel x11 version the Oo staff will work only on cocoa version. So, I do not want to fill bugs in issuezilla that will be used only in linux and windows version, and not in neooffice version (I do not believe in a cocoa version until I see a working version, I'm still waiting the 1.1.x one).
I'm missing something?


I don't use the OOo X11 team's custom builds. Instead, I use the code that Sun uses for OOo's official releases. So, when OOo 2.0.3 comes out, I'll include that code in the next Neo release. Also, while the compiling work that the OOo X11 team does saves me a little time, the savings isn't very much so if they stop doing X11 compiles, it won't affect my work that much. After all, I don't need the X11 vcl code to actually work as I completely replace any X11 code with Java, Cocoa, or Carbon code.

Patrick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
val1984
Oracle


Joined: May 30, 2005
Posts: 229
Location: France

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sardisson wrote:
val1984 wrote:
sardisson wrote:
val1984 wrote:
Patrick, do you plan to send an email about NeoOffice EAP to all mailing list subscribers?

Hmm, I got that last night (4 AM US EDT)... Question

Smokey

I didn't, sorry if it had already been sent Embarassed

Sorry, I meant it seemed odd to me that you hadn't gotten it yet Sad

Maybe the list is that long that to get from a to v when sending takes many hours?

Smokey

I still haven't got it :/
I think the list isn't that long Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pluby
The Architect
The Architect


Joined: Jun 16, 2003
Posts: 11932

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

val1984 wrote:
I still haven't got it :/
I think the list isn't that long Razz


The problem is likely on your end. Either your mail application or your mail service provider is filtering it out as SPAM.

Patrick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
fabriziovenerandi
Keymaker


Joined: Oct 12, 2004
Posts: 77
Location: italia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

This is probably true. The size of the OOo binaries alone increased from 108 MB to 169 MB with the switch to OOo 2.0.2. OOo 2.0.2 is bigger than OOo 1.1.x.


This is true, but I do not notice this problem with the x11 version and not with the linux version that I try some times ago. I think there is also some optimization coming or alpha problem: for example actually neooffice has closed all the windows and it is using 211mb...

Quote:
I don't use the OOo X11 team's custom builds. Instead, I use the code that Sun uses for OOo's official releases. So, when OOo 2.0.3 comes out, I'll include that code in the next Neo release.


Good to know. When I'll find the time I'll try to use isuezilla for the big problems of the Base.

Thank you for the answers.

f.

_________________
eadem sed non eodem modo facere
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
pluby
The Architect
The Architect


Joined: Jun 16, 2003
Posts: 11932

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fabriziovenerandi wrote:
This is true, but I do not notice this problem with the x11 version and not with the linux version that I try some times ago. I think there is also some optimization coming or alpha problem: for example actually neooffice has closed all the windows and it is using 211mb...


Are you working with a lot of images? Displaying and scaling images is very memory intensive in NeoOffice Java code. X11's is much faster because it uses Carbon where Java (which uses Cocoa) doesn't handle images nearly as fast or as well. Sad

Patrick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
LemonAid
The Anomaly


Joined: Nov 21, 2005
Posts: 1285
Location: Witless Protection Program

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pluby wrote:

I don't use the OOo X11 team's custom builds. Instead, I use the code that Sun uses for OOo's official releases. So, when OOo 2.0.3 comes out, I'll include that code in the next Neo release.
Also, while the compiling work that the OOo X11 team does saves me a little time, the savings isn't very much so if they stop doing X11 compiles, it won't affect my work that much.
After all, I don't need the X11 vcl code to actually work as I completely replace any X11 code with Java, Cocoa, or Carbon code.

Patrick

Thanks for this information Patrick,

It's good to know that we are not dependant on the X11 efforts. Gives me a little ray of sunshine/hope that NeoOffice will keep getting better and better. Very Happy

I'm looking forward to testing NeoOffice 2.OH! (sorry, I just like saying that way - no offense meant). Alpha is an excellent start!

Philip (where did all the pretty Icons go?!? Wink )
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
val1984
Oracle


Joined: May 30, 2005
Posts: 229
Location: France

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, MacBidouille/HardMac have published news about NeoOffice EAP.

But as always, ericb is flaming on the forums...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fabriziovenerandi
Keymaker


Joined: Oct 12, 2004
Posts: 77
Location: italia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you working with a lot of images? Displaying and scaling images is very memory intensive in NeoOffice Java code. X11's is much faster because it uses Carbon where Java (which uses Cocoa) doesn't handle images nearly as fast or as well.


I feel it is another kind of problem. I made a simply test this morning: I opened 3 Write files using neooffice 1.2, neooffice 2.0 alpha and openoffice x11 2.0.1. Write files, only text:

Neo 1.2 uses around 130mb
Oo uses around 86mb (plus around 26 of x-stuff)
Neo 2 aplha uses 196mb

After I opened a Write file and a Base file, using neooffice 2.0 alpha e Oo 2.0.1

Oo uses around 90mb (plus around 26 of x-stuff)
Neo 2 alpha uses 210mb

No graphic or image in Write or Base documents. If I can help to investigate where the memory is used let me know how.

f.

_________________
eadem sed non eodem modo facere
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
pluby
The Architect
The Architect


Joined: Jun 16, 2003
Posts: 11932

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very interesting data. What is interesting is that I didn't change any of my Java code between Neo 1.2.x and Neo 2.0 Alpha. Can you file a bug in Bugzilla and attach a sample document that I can use to study where the memory differences are?

Thanks,

Patrick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
fabriziovenerandi
Keymaker


Joined: Oct 12, 2004
Posts: 77
Location: italia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is very interesting data. What is interesting is that I didn't change any of my Java code between Neo 1.2.x and Neo 2.0 Alpha. Can you file a bug in Bugzilla and attach a sample document that I can use to study where the memory differences are?


I'm going to file it.


f.

_________________
eadem sed non eodem modo facere
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
bompi
Blue Pill


Joined: Apr 26, 2006
Posts: 2
Location: Paris, France

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the 2.0 Alpha a couple of hours ago and I must say I'm impressed. I don't know where the code has been optimized but it's pretty faster than before. Really nice to work with.

I simply wonder how I could get the UI fonts smaller because they're slightly too big right now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aussie149
The Merovingian


Joined: Feb 12, 2005
Posts: 607
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

val1984 wrote:
FYI, MacBidouille/HardMac have published news about NeoOffice EAP.

But as always, ericb is flaming on the forums...


Thanks val. Gee, those sites were quick off the mark. Bravo to them. There's a little bit of difference in tone between the English and French entries, it seems.

P
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier


Joined: Feb 01, 2004
Posts: 4588

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bompi wrote:
I simply wonder how I could get the UI fonts smaller because they're slightly too big right now.

I'm not sure there's a way to do this in the app itself.

This was done in the past (Neo/J 0.x, Neo/J 1.1 & Neo 1.2.x) via a "dpi hack" which seems not to have been migrated to the new codebase (or doesn't work in the new codebase).

You should file a bug Wink

Smokey

_________________
"[...] whether the duck drinks hot chocolate or coffee is irrelevant." -- ovvldc and sardisson in the NeoWiki
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
pluby
The Architect
The Architect


Joined: Jun 16, 2003
Posts: 11932

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sardisson wrote:
This was done in the past (Neo/J 0.x, Neo/J 1.1 & Neo 1.2.x) via a "dpi hack" which seems not to have been migrated to the new codebase (or doesn't work in the new codebase).


Good work! The DPI hack was causing the super large text. I have removed the DPI hack and text size is back to pre-Neo 2.0 Alpha sizes. I'll put this fix in Neo 2.0 Alpha "Patch 1".

Patrick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Planamesa Inc.
NeoOffice is a registered trademark of Planamesa Inc. and may not be used without permission.
PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
Page Generation: 0.03 Seconds