Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Neoffice on Mac Intel
Neoffice on Mac Intel

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
debeal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Neoffice on Mac Intel

I would like to know if there is a version of Neoffice for MacBookPro Intel Thank you
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject:

Nope. Not yet. Per the NeoOffice downloads page:

"Due to limited time and funds, NeoOffice will not work on Apple's new Intel machines. We are working on a version for the Intel machines and we hope to release an Alpha version in the summer of 2006."

Patrick
doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject:

More on that there:
http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2230

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject:

Ya mean we can't run Neo in Rosetta!? hehe

Just go buy M$ XP and Word, d/l Boot Camp from Apple for free and you'll be all set!!! j/k Were billy and stevie in Skull & Bones together by any chance? Evil or Very Mad

It's all just a blur to me now...
@Guest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject:

I recently donated - hoping it will help - hope a usable Version of NeoOffice for Intel will come in Summer ;D
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Keep checking back for word. Something may be coming up soon.

Patrick and I both prefer to make changes incrementally. With any project that is very large and has unknown dependencies, it's best to narrow down the number of variables to a minimum to make it easier to track down where bugs lie. All of the changes to adapt our own code to 2.0 PPC have already caused some problems of their own...

ed
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:14 am    Post subject:

though the installing windows suggestion was a joke... i feel compelled to add that if you actually install windows, that there is openoffice.org for windows as well =)

also, OO.oX11 does run on intel, as an alternative.
boydf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: NeoOffice 2.0.2 Alpha working on Intel with Java 5.0_06

I got NeoOffice 2.0.2 Alpha compiled natively on my MacBook Pro tonight. It took about 24 hours to compile, took 15GB of disk space, and I had to change three java files to fix enum conflicts with Java 5.0. I changed the following files:

source/xmerge/java/org/openoffice/xmerge/ConvertData.java
source/xmerge/java/org/openoffice/xmerge/converter/xml/xslt/DocumentDeserializerImpl.java
source/xmerge/java/org/openoffice/xmerge/converter/xml/xslt/PluginFactoryImpl.java

I have the 550MB disk image. If someone can provide me a place to upload it I will post it.

Performance is pretty good. I found one bug. if you select text on more than one line and set the italics on it, the text bunches up (looks like it collapses in on itself).

you can email me at: boyd at cox dot net
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject:

Please note that the build can be redistributed *only* if all usage of the NeoOffice trademark is removed from the binary prior to any distribution. The trademark usage guidelines provide free usage of the NeoOffice word mark only for distribution of binaries that are available for download from Planamesa software. This allows for mirroring of current binaries, CD distros, etc. but explicitly legally prohibits usage of the NeoOffice trademark in redistribution of any non-official builds.

Please review the trademark usage guidelines for more information:

http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/NeoOffice_CD_Distribution_%26_Trademark_Usage

While our source code is covered under GPL, the GPL license covers copyright only. Trademark usage of the NeoOffice trademark for software titles is covered under a completely different set of laws.

The reasons for this are many, but one of the major reasons is that it's impossible for us to support builds that have unknown patches and build environments.

ed
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject:

perhaps if he created a bug 'neooffice on intel' and submitted his patches?
boydf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Please note that the build can be redistributed *only* if all usage of the NeoOffice trademark is removed from the binary prior to any distribution. The trademark usage guidelines provide free usage of the NeoOffice word mark only for distribution of binaries that are available for download from Planamesa software. This allows for mirroring of current binaries, CD distros, etc. but explicitly legally prohibits usage of the NeoOffice trademark in redistribution of any non-official builds.

Please review the trademark usage guidelines for more information:

http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/NeoOffice_CD_Distribution_%26_Trademark_Usage

While our source code is covered under GPL, the GPL license covers copyright only. Trademark usage of the NeoOffice trademark for software titles is covered under a completely different set of laws.

The reasons for this are many, but one of the major reasons is that it's impossible for us to support builds that have unknown patches and build environments.

ed

so why don't ya'll give me a place to upload the binaries and ya'll distribute it.
boydf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
perhaps if he created a bug 'neooffice on intel' and submitted his patches?

i just opened a bug with the changes which are trivial.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject:

boydf wrote:
so why don't ya'll give me a place to upload the binaries and ya'll distribute it.

Sorry, you are doing me no favor. Getting it to compile is the cheap and easy part but you are offering to dump all of the bug fixing and support costs on me. Thanks. Seriously, if you want to distribute it, strip out the NeoOffice word mark and do your own distribution and support.

I have an Intel build (hint: the reason that it compiles fairly easily is that I already did a bunch of work chasing down and fixing endian issues) and I know that there are bugs in it that need to be fixed before it is releasable. Since support and bug fixing is about 80% of a costs (yes, fixing bugs is a lot of work) and I am already working full-time stabilizing our current release, I have no time to work on Mactel until after the PowerPC EAP.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Since support and bug fixing is about 80% of a costs (yes, fixing bugs is a lot of work) and I am already working full-time stabilizing our current release, I have no time to work on Mactel until after the PowerPC EAP.

Also don't forget that even after EAP, there's still going to be a significant number of non-EAP users reporting bugs that we'll have to track down and address for PPC. From an engineering standpoint, it's very difficult to track down bugs unless you can start eliminating variables. Although the code may compile, we already know there are serious issues that are processor specific (and with the italics block issue you seem to have found yet another), and that's just too much to deal with given the amount of changes already in the code.

We also have folks who help out in isolating bugs, test cases, and other support infrastructure issues and the majority (if not all) have PowerPC machines. Not even I have an Intel machine to work on. Even if all of them did have machines, they're already maxed out handling forums and evaluating issues in bugzilla from PPC EAP, and of course the latest round of stunts from our friends hasn't helped the manpower situation along any.

We really just don't have the resources to tackle a wide distribution at this time, not only in development but also in testing, support, and overall infrastructure (maintaining two binaries, two versions of each patch, etc.). As a developer/builder you may be much more tolerant of bugs in the application and may have the skill to fix them, but for the most part our users don't have that skillset and need to look to us for help, help that right now we can't provide Sad. Users can get really frustrated when their issues can't get addressed, even if software is free.

That said...

As a developer I think it's great that you have a build, are excited about it, and have even gone out of your way to help do patches and locate build issues. If you are still interested, please continue to use your build and compare it against the OOo X11 Mactel builds Smile Keep a list of the snafus you find so we can start tracking them down when we're prepping Intel support for end users. Ideally, I don't want to do any Intel release until it can match the quality of our PPC code. If possible, you should also try to see if you can keep it up to date with the latest CVS source tree as the code is changing daily with all the bugfixes, and usually much more frequently than the twice a day secure->nonsecure sync.

I'm not sure if that makes any sense to you, but really, if you can help pre-weed these issues out prior to even the first binary release it will do a phenomenal amount of good for users. If we can get enough bugs out before making a release, then we can hopefully provide something that will be useful for people wanting an Intel solution instead of just a bug-ridden "alpha" that winds up frustrating users and causing them to run for the hills screaming about how this Neo thing is just a useless load of c***. We already have enough people flaming it and don't need more Smile.

ed
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject:

I support Ed's comment 100%.

I don't use a LOT of ..."cool" applications because there are so many problems that's it not worth my time.

I currently use NeoOffice as the ONLY Office Suite on my PowerBook G4. If it was not rock stable I would not be able to do that and would have to use ... Micro-soft.

Philip (I want patience - and I want it RIGHT NOW!!! Wink )
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3