Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Page numbering (but not on all pages)
Page numbering (but not on all pages)

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neo
Agent

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Page numbering (but not on all pages)

Hi,
I've never really learnt how to use a word-processor, so most of the stuff that isn't everyday usage is hard to figure out.
This is one of those things.... (by the way, is there a good step-by-step guide on using OpenOffice or any standard word-processor anywhere?)

I'm writing a school thesis, and to make it look good I want to number the pages (which I've figure out how to do: Insert-Fields-Page number), but whatever I do I can only get page numbers on all pages or none.

What i want to do is leave out the numbering on my first page (which is the cover/title sheet), and not for the last page/pages as they're the bibliography pages.
Is there a way to do this?
I'm using OpenOffice 1.1 on a Mac running MacOS 10.4.6.

Thanks!
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject:

While I don't know about the numbering specifically, Sun does put up full documentation for StarOffice as downloadable PDFs and the StarOffice 7 documentaion is generally applicable for OOo/Neo 1.1, including the Writer word processing system. Check out the links in this topic:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1052

I'm not sure if there's a good "tutorial" they wrote as well.

ed
doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Page numbering (but not on all pages)

neo wrote:
What i want to do is leave out the numbering on my first page (which is the cover/title sheet), and not for the last page/pages as they're the bibliography pages.

Hi Neo,

I tried different ways to do it, and the whole process seems a bit unreliable, but this way it worked for me:

I assume, that the page numbers are in the page footer or header:

1. Select in the menu Insert > Footer > default (or Header ...)
2. Place the field "Page Number" into the footer (header), which now should show on each page
3. Go with the cursor into the first/title page, choose menu Format > Styles and Formatting (or maybe "Stylist" ??? I already work on NeoOffice 2): A window with the "Stylist" opens, choose there at the top "Page Styles" (the 4th symbol from the left) & double-click on "First Page". The footer plus page number should have now disappeared from the title page. If you want to adjust the parameters for this title page, you can do that via menu Format > Page...

Adding an area at the end of the document without page numbers should be easy, but it doesn't seem to be so, at least retrospectively, if these pages don't contain endnotes. Here's my version:

4. Go to the place of the document, after which the pages-without-numbers should start
5. Select menu Insert > Manual Break..., choose "Page break" & select Style "Endnote"

Now, there should follow a page (and, if text is inserted, pages) without the footer. As these pages have also different e.g. border margins, you may adjust them via menu Format > Page...

Hope, I could help, greetings, Martin
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1