NeoOffice :: View topic - Footnotes
Footnotes

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhux
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Footnotes

Hello everyone,
I am using NeoOffice to write a research paper in Turabian format and I need to change the way the footnotes look. By default the footnote number is the same size as the footnote text. I need it to be small and in the upper left of the first letter of the footnote text (the way the little footnote number looks in the body of the paper) and it would be nice if it would automatically put it about half an inch from the left margin. Is there anyway I can do this? If not I will have to buy MS Word Mad

Please help! My paper is due Monday!
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Try pressing apple-F11, scroll to footnotesign (or thelike, in german it is "Fußnotenzeichen"), press "Change", goto "Position" in the window that opens there and select "high" (german: Hoch).
I hope the english terms I use point to the right direction - I have no english but a german installation of Neo running and did translate roughly from there.
T.
Edit: Added a forgotten step

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject:

dhux wrote:
Hello everyone,
I am using NeoOffice to write a research paper in Turabian format and I need to change the way the footnotes look. By default the footnote number is the same size as the footnote text. I need it to be small and in the upper left of the first letter of the footnote text (the way the little footnote number looks in the body of the paper) and it would be nice if it would automatically put it about half an inch from the left margin. Is there anyway I can do this? If not I will have to buy MS Word Mad

Please help! My paper is due Monday!

Why did you wait so long to type it!!!!? j/k Crying or Very sad Always say the same thing to the kids...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately that changes the entire text of the footnote instead of just the number so that won't really work.
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:
Unfortunately that changes the entire text of the footnote instead of just the number so that won't really work.

Well, when I tried what I proposed, it only changed the Number of the footnote ...
revsmitty
Keymaker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject:

Try the following sequence:
1. Adjust the paragraph style Footnotes using the Command/F11 combo or Style List
2. Set the format (Indents & Spacing, Fonts, Tabs, etc.) and set the Position to superscript.
3. When you actually enter the information into the footnote put in one space and then choose Shift+Command+P which will change the text from Superscript to Normal.

This will leave the reference number as a superscript in the upper left and the text will be normal size.

Galen
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject:

I think (based on a little bit of help from some assorted posts on oooforum.org that didn't answer the question, and revsmitty's post above that made me dig into it again) that what you want to change is the Character Style for "Footnote Characters".

Open the Stylist, click on the second icon (the "A in a page", for Character Styles), ctrl-click on "Footnote Characters" and select Modify, and make it into a superscript in the Position tab.

Smokey

sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Well, Smokey, that was what I suggested with the exception of using apple-F11 instead of stylist, and with my poor english translation of some terms. But as I said: It worked for me.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Orgleser wrote:
Well, Smokey, that was what I suggested with the exception of using apple-F11 instead of stylist, and with my poor english translation of some terms. But as I said: It worked for me.

Embarassed Sorry, you're exactly right, and my poor German Wink and the other response that it didn't work and my past experience trying to make it work got in the way of my seeing that Sad

(I wonder why I can't get cmd-F11 or its menu item to work; they're greyed out here....)

At any rate, I learned something new and figured out how to solve a problem that had vexed me for some time (now I just need to tell Fridrich, so he can fix it in WriterPerfect for importing all my WP-Mac documents), and we now have a nice? wiki article talking all about how to format various parts of the footnote: http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/Formatting_Footnotes

All's well that ends well, I hope Smile

Smokey

sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:

(I wonder why I can't get cmd-F11 or its menu item to work; they're greyed out here....)

At any rate, I learned something new and figured out how to solve a problem that had vexed me for some time (now I just need to tell Fridrich, so he can fix it in WriterPerfect for importing all my WP-Mac documents), and we now have a nice? wiki article talking all about how to format various parts of the footnote: http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/Formatting_Footnotes

All's well that ends well, I hope Smile

Smokey

Well I wonder whether some of the formatting, that I loose now converting from WP 3.5e and the use of "semitimes" in WP with signs that transscirbe semitic characters will work one day Very Happy
T.
infannity

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: select all

Thanks everyone, I have found this helpful. However, it's a bit irksome having to do them one at a time - is there a way to select all the footnotes and change the whole shebang at once? I'm still not returning to MS Office!! Smile
revsmitty
Keymaker

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: select all

infannity wrote:
Thanks everyone, I have found this helpful. However, it's a bit irksome having to do them one at a time - is there a way to select all the footnotes and change the whole shebang at once? I'm still not returning to MS Office!! Smile

I guess it depends a little bit by what you mean by 'change the whole shebang at once.'

For example:
You can change the formatting of all of the 'Footnote characters' at one time by the following steps (I think this applies to other formatting options as well and you may want to experiment with this on a non critical document first!)

1) Select a character of text (a single character, whole word, sentence, etc).
2) In the stylist click on the Format Character symbol
(in Neo 1.2 English it is a A in the top left of the style list)
3) Double Click on the style you want this changes it to that style(in my example I used Footnote character)
4) While it is still highlighted edit that character or characters.
(for example make it bold, change font, change to superscript. etc.)
5) While it is still highlighted double click on the Update style icon in the Stylelist
(in Neo 1.2 English it is a black button with white paragraph symbol in upper right of the stylist panel)
6) This now changes all characters that have previously been designated by that style to the new style.

Note that if you are trying to change the footnote number that you cannot choose the footnote number itself. You will have to use a character in the body of your document to do the editing/changes and the above procedure will apply to the footnote number.

The above process changes a character format. Similar steps for paragraph formating can be used to apply a new paragraph style to previously formatted paragraphs.

Galen
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1